Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thefiestygoat

Thrashers' rollercoaster ride hurtling toward Winnipeg?

262 posts in this topic

Nice jersey but will most likely be Jets why change their History name

Nice jersey but will most likely be Jets why change their History name

Most reports say it won't be the Jets because the new owners don't want to buy the rights from the previous owner of the Jets. He still owns the name and logo.

There have been many rumors that it will and won't be the Jets. But the latest buzz from people claiming to have ins at TNSE say that it will be the Jets.

Most reports say it won't be the Jets because the new owners don't want to buy the rights from the previous owner of the Jets. He still owns the name and logo.

As far as I'm aware, NHL owns the name and logos

I had read at some point that it wasn't part of the original Winnipeg sale. I need to find the article. I think it was one of the TSN pieces back when Phoenix was rumored to move.

I don't think so because I'm pretty sure the reason no Whalers merchandise was being made until recently even though there was plenty of demand for it was because the city still owned the rights to that stuff.

So where's that name now ...I'm getting impatient

Probably will get unveiled the day of the draft

Didn't Bettman come out and say that the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name?

The owner of the Jets logo is currently the NHL, since they own the Coyotes.

The owner of the Jets logo is currently the NHL, since they own the Coyotes.

Not if Barry Shankarow held onto the logo and name when he sold the team in 1996. I've read before that he did and that True North wasn't looking to pay him for the rights.

I don't think so because I'm pretty sure the reason no Whalers merchandise was being made until recently even though there was plenty of demand for it was because the city still owned the rights to that stuff.

I was told something similar a few years back. At the NHL Store in Manhattan I was surprised at the lack of Whalers stuff. A clerk told me it was because either the City of Hartford or the state of Connecticut owned the rights and weren't letting anyone put the logo on anything except for pucks and crappy stuff like that. Glad to see they've recently let up on that.