Devils haven't contacted Hitchcock about coaching job

Maddog

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/no_devs_hitchcock_talks_k9rlzKBUn70HspT3qszRpN

You know when we hired a coach last year. This is nothing out of the ordinary. Lou is doing his due diligence," owner Jeff Vanderbeek said last week.

The Devils hired MacLean last year to replace Lemaire, who then returned to replace MacLean Dec. 23. Lemaire said last month he intends to remain retired this time.

Other possible candidates include Craig MacTavish, Mike Keenan, Wayne Gretzky, Kirk Muller and Michel Therrien.

Wayne Gretzky :blink::rolleyes::blink:

Also a little comment on Parise....

there are indications perhaps, finally, general manager Lou Lamoriello is working on Zach Parise's contract.

Parise could become a restricted free agent July 1 if the Devils don't sign him or choose team-elected arbitration, a decision that must be made by Friday. It is expected Lamoriello will at least try to negotiate a one-year deal to avoid arbitration.

I still think the Devils will have a coach in place by draft day. There are a lot of coaches right now looking for a job who will jump at the chance of playing anywhere and just a matter of who Lou picks. He will prob interview 1-3 and then make his decision then. Could easily do this by the 24th.

Guest ThepArsiEhOPe

Devils want a similar system to how Lemaire had them on. Hitchcock is very similar and most apt to get the job as he has respect for Kovy and Lou likes him

I don't see what he (Gretzky) could bring to the table. If he honestly WANTED to come here -- then I just dont think he'd have the balls to do what it takes to be done. Because he'd know the Devils System is correct - he'd never take the job to try to change anything. So... this would be totally foreign territory for him and as with Sutter he'd secretly be relying on the team too much to show him the ropes ... and as we saw -they dont KNOW the ropes.

Muller - you know - to say it's just like MacLean isn't putting forward the correct idea in your heads. He IS too much like MacLean in that there is that little insubordination that doesn't jibe with the System. It's .... how can you explain it? See if Claude were deeply into coaching now he'd fit with the Devils systme despite his wiseass insubordinate choices. He still meshes very well with the System. Muller and MacLean - their choices as players were flawed. Muller not with the Devils but the whole Islanders thing just - any guy who can do that is just not right in the hockey head. And any guy who can be not right once will always and forever be not right. It's just who they are. let Montreal keep him.

All the choices they put out there are so depressing -- I'm just praying I've missed something. I feel like I am CERTAIN we've all missed something and Lou will make the ideal choice.

I feel giddy when i think of Stevens as a coach. not now.... but I seriously think it is possible he can make that leap and see things from the bench - he's got the potential to be a line changing genius and I dont think he knows that yet. I just want him to get that high....once he feels that coaching high which for some reason I am intuiting these days..... I just think he'd be addicted and really great at it. but he might never allow himself to go there.... I mean sometimes it's such a relief to be free of the bonds of a career....

OK

just ignore it all OK - I KNOW how wacked out I am.... but ... I still put it out there and in a month or two, if I go back and read it I'l have no idea wtf I was writing about either.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Oh the irony if, somehow, Gretzky became the coach of the NJ devils

I think you would actually have a better chance of selling the fanbase on a Johnny Mac return than bringing Gretzky in. His name is forever mud around here for the Mickey Mouse comment, and it's not like he's an accomplished coach either. Tippett went in and won 50 games two years in a row with a team Gretzky couldn't sniff the playoffs with.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If only Gretzky was a good coach, I could forgive him the Mickey Mouse thing if he led the team to glory. But he isn't a good coach. Case closed.

See -- you can't help but think about it, right? But he SUCKS it seems to me. He just needs to leave real hockey to people who know real hockey -- who HAVE to know it to succeed - like a Pat Burns. I feel like he can't even recognize who DOES know real hockey.

Lou is waiting for game 7, and really wants Rick Bowness (Vancouver asst) been doing this forever, did coach Boston for awhile during their crap years, and Ottawa a while ago. Maybe Bowness ready to come back to prime time. I still would love ot see havil;and as well.

I asked TG about Lou's plans to interview and of course he said that Lou has not said he interviewed anybody but TG added that the Devils are super secretive about these things and anybody that is interviewed is sworn to secrecy during the entire process. For all we know Lou is parading candidates in and out of his office. Hell he may just do his interviews via Skype! :lol:

Interesting listening to an interview wiht Jim Playfair who is going to take assoc. coach of yotes. He love/respects Darryl Sutter, but regrets taking the job,(as head coach in Calgary) basically because Darryl never stopped "coaching" the team from upstairs. He never really had total autonomy, although he was hired for continuity because they were on the right track? I wonder if something like this happened with JMac last year.

Anyway, it's in a teams best interest to look outside the organization for coaches.

A guy that shares the same philosophy, system, but can get into the players heads a little. Like Pat Burns.