Devils use 4th pick to steal Larsson

msweet

Missing the playoffs paid off, just don't expect general manager Lou Lamoriello to admit it.

The Devils hit the jackpot at the NHL draft in St. Paul last night, stealing second-rated Swedish defenseman Adam Larsson with their No. 4 pick, itself upgraded from eighth when they won the draft lottery in April.

"Nothing will take the sting out of missing the playoffs, but this certainly is a consolation," Lamoriello told The Post. "You don't often get a chance to get a player of this caliber."

2011-12 SCHEDULE

Cashing in their highest draft pick since taking Scott Niedermayer third 20 years ago, the Devils think they have nabbed another cornerstone rebuilding block.

"This team fits me perfect," said Larsson.

New Jersey knocked the Islanders to fifth by winning the lottery, probably keeping Larsson from the Isles.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/how_swede_it_is_01ZMHIstksig3qQuLO0GXP#ixzz1QJ6q2y4e

I cant wait to see him attend the camp. I dont figure he will be up in the roster for another season or two but I think he is going to be solid for us later on. Great skater, great hands and likes to toss his weight around. Something that we have needed as far as Dmen go.

"My goal is to play in the NHL next year." -Larsson

We will see, he may surprise everyone in the camp this year and end up playing a bit for the Devils.

Edited by Quinn01

Didn't Hedman play the same year he was drafted? Why does everyone doubt so much he'll play next year?

Even if he's better than Hedman was at the same point, the circumstances are very different. Unless trades are made to open up cap space, we might not have a ton of room to fit Larsson, as we'd have bonuses going against the cap hit. He might fit depending on any other signings we make but it could be tight. Add the fact that we have no reason to rush him and it means that there's a good chance that he won't be on the team this year. But we will see. If he blows everyone away in camp then space will be made. Lou doesn't rush players but if they are ready he doesn't hold them back either.

Before the draft Conte said his goal was to pick a guy who could step into the NHL this year and after we drafted Larsson it seemed like he was the team's top choice all along. Of course, Conte isn't Lou and it doesn't necessarily mean Larsson is sure to play this fall (especially if he doesn't impress on the camp), but David knows prospects better than anyone (28 years in the job in NJ, unbelievable) and if he says something like this, he has a reason to do it.

Putting Larsson in there so soon obviously has its drawbacks, with the cap hit and the guy becoming a UFA earlier (I believe), so I'd rather they are 100% sure he is going to have an impact before making that move. Remember Stamkos' rookie year? He was struggling and the situation was so tense Tortorella wanted him sent down and eventually it was him who got canned. So, even some of the best players aren't immediately NHL-ready and you have to be very careful here. It's not worth screwing his contract up a bit if he is going to be a 3rd pair, 10-point guy only IMO.

Before the draft Conte said his goal was to pick a guy who could step into the NHL this year and after we drafted Larsson it seemed like he was the team's top choice all along. Of course, Conte isn't Lou and it doesn't necessarily mean Larsson is sure to play this fall (especially if he doesn't impress on the camp), but David knows prospects better than anyone (28 years in the job in NJ, unbelievable) and if he says something like this, he has a reason to do it.

Putting Larsson in there so soon obviously has its drawbacks, with the cap hit and the guy becoming a UFA earlier (I believe), so I'd rather they are 100% sure he is going to have an impact before making that move. Remember Stamkos' rookie year? He was struggling and the situation was so tense Tortorella wanted him sent down and eventually it was him who got canned. So, even some of the best players aren't immediately NHL-ready and you have to be very careful here. It's not worth screwing his contract up a bit if he is going to be a 3rd pair, 10-point guy only IMO.

Are you sure you have that quote right? I'm pretty sure he was asked if his goal was to draft a player who could play in the NHL this year and his answer was something like "I want to draft a player who can play in the NHL for 20 years."

Don't know how the Devils could fit him if they don't trade off some salary first

In the other thread sundstrom was able to do it. It's possible, but a pretty tight fit.

Are you sure you have that quote right? I'm pretty sure he was asked if his goal was to draft a player who could play in the NHL this year and his answer was something like "I want to draft a player who can play in the NHL for 20 years."

Ah, yes, you're right - I checked it now. I probably read a tad too much yesterday and I just remember looking through the first paragraph of one of the articles - must have misread it. :)

Anyway, anything's possible. I would still wait a year though - the guy plays in a senior league, and a very strong one, so it wouldn't hurt if he spent one more year developing there. Plus, we have a boatload of money coming off the books in 2012 (Marty + White + Salvador + Rolston = over 16M, nice), so we should be able to fit him in there fairly easily.

Edited by Revan

He was struggling and the situation was so tense Tortorella wanted him sent down and eventually it was him who got canned.

Pretty sure Tortarella was already gone at that point. Barry Melrose was the first NHL coach Stamkos had. Otherwise you are correct, and I do agree that we have no reason to rush Larsson. However, if he is ready, there is no reason to hold him back either.

He will likely hold a 3 million dollar cap hit when signed, so we would need to have space.

It also has its positives. Defenseman typically take longer to develop but playing the league will help him more than it would help someone undersized/lack of experience. Doughty, at the extreme of the spectrum, was a good contributor his first year in LA, not earth-shattering, but Doughty's rookie year #'s were stronger than Andy Greene's were this year. Erik Johnson also contributed in his rookie year. Byfuglien also was pretty good his first full year. While obviously, Larsson wont have the experience of Greene so #s arent the best barometer, thats where I think the answer to Larsson is coming from. If we don't re-sign Andy Greene, Adam Larsson gets that money that was earmarked for Greene. Larsson is a Devil this year then. If we re-sign Greene, I think Larsson goes back to Sweden for this year.

I sat keep Larsson in Sweeden until next year. Tyler Myers waited a year before going into the NHL after he was drafted, and he got a lot of Help from Tallinder. It is kind of like a wining deal also if you put Larsson this year into the NHL so he will learn earlier from Tallinder, and get more exp.

With the number thing, he probably would take #4, but Stevens has that number retired.

Maybe 55?

But that is kinda a high number to be on the Devils.

Edited by snartly

In the other thread sundstrom was able to do it. It's possible, but a pretty tight fit.

yeah - and i did this with expensive scratches and no roster moves (i.e. clarkson, zubrus, rolston jettisoned). if they feel he's good enough to make the team, it's not really an issue.

yeah - and i did this with expensive scratches and no roster moves (i.e. clarkson, zubrus, rolston jettisoned). if they feel he's good enough to make the team, it's not really an issue.

Agreed.

11, because that's what he wore on the Devils in my NHL 11 Be a GM mode ;)

Same. I stole him and Tyler Seguin from the Boston Bruins while they were both entering their primes. lol.