Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

WEIGHT LIFTING HELP/ADVICE

166 posts in this topic

Hey guys. So, I lifted a decent amount throughout high school, but never got really serious about it. This past september, though, I decided to dedicate myself to it a lot more. I lift 5 days a week and run 7 days a week, and I have since September. Here's my question:

Does anyone have a pre-workout that they want to share an experience with?

I started on blackpowder, and I really didn't like the side-effects of that. I felt like I was bloated while I was going through my set, and the second I finished my set I had to let out the crap of my life. Greusome, sorry, but I know many other people who have had the same result.

Since blackpowder, I've been on jack3d, C4, M5, and 1MR. Jack3d was the best for me... I made it through two containers of that before I got too used to it. C4 was meh, M5 was decent for about half of the container, and 1MR was unfvckingbelievable the first 6 or 7 times, but relatively useless after that (I really don't recommend this to anyone who hasn't tried it, it's got 400mg of caffiene and if you take even a grain more than a scoop you go into the gym feeling like you're on cocaine and leave the gym with a headache, photosensitivity, and nausea like you wouldn't believe).

Has anyone ever tried any other suppliments that they either LOVED or HATED? I've got tomorrow's set and wednesday's set left in my jack3d (3rd go-round with this product, but I waited a few months in between) and then I'm off to purchase a new one. The idiots at GNC and VitaminWorld won't stop trying to sell you M5, probably because it's the most expensive, so I've given up trying to ask them.

Anyone?

Where's NaturesMinister when you need him?

I'll be honest, you're talking about stuff way over my head. Generic whey protein, creatine, fish oil and a multi-vitamin is the most intense supplementation I've ever taken. Sorry to not be of more help. Good luck!

I take designer whey 3 times a day, sh!t is amazing.

If anyone is curious, which they probably aren't, the results of a years-worth of dedicated training and excercise (plus a rigid rigid diet) really was awesome for me. I wasn't ever dangerously "fat", but I definitely got bigger than I wanted to right before I started my training. In september, my first weigh in before I started the whole shebang, I was 218 pounds. Which, well, isn't very healthy at all. Duh. After this mornings' workout, I'm sitting at 156.8. My "target" weight is 150. So, yeah, there's my story!

Edited by Martyisth3b3st

My workout consists of doing bicep curls with navy destroyers. I follow that up with bench-pressing a skycraper. Anything less I cannot even break a sweat.

Hope that helps!

I've tried a couple of different brands...NO Xplode, SAN Fierce, jack3d, Superpump to name a few. Honestly, you'll get the same result by popping a couple of caffeine pills and a B vitamin complex before heading to the gym, and save a couple of bucks in the process.

Word of caution...stay away from Superpump. Think of your description of 1MR below x1000; I literally wanted to crawl in a corner and die about a hour after taking it.

I find that spending copious amounts of time on my ass in class, in front of my computer, or playing xbox really gives me that beach body that everybody longs for.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I've tried a couple of different brands...NO Xplode, SAN Fierce, jack3d, Superpump to name a few. Honestly, you'll get the same result by popping a couple of caffeine pills and a B vitamin complex before heading to the gym, and save a couple of bucks in the process.

Word of caution...stay away from Superpump. Think of your description of 1MR below x1000; I literally wanted to crawl in a corner and die about a hour after taking it.

I've heard similar stories about Superpump. I'm really interested in VPX anarchy and Muscle Pharm Assault, I've heard great things.

About to try MusclePharm Assault, came highly recommended by quite a few people. Interested to see how it goes.

I find that spending copious amounts of time on my ass in class, in front of my computer, or playing xbox really gives me that beach body that everybody longs for.

:evilcry:

:argh:

I am SUCH a fatass!

cry2.gif

POWERRRRRRRTHIRST

But seriously, I'm not into the pre workout supplements, Superpump was the only one I would consider taking again.

I took supplements and stuff all during high school for football. I don't like to lift for pure strength anymore, more definition, so I've stopped using them. Now I just run 3-4 miles 5 or 6 days a week and lift (though a lot lighter than I used to)

I use Creatin an hour before my work. I do RushFit and then after 30 or so minutes after i'll use a protein shake, MuscleMilk. Need to change off from the Muscle Milk though need something better

if youre trying to build muscle or get bigger, id recommend not doing so much cardio like 10 minutes before you lift (just to stay in good shape). here are my experiences with what worked for me.

I'm 6 '1- 6'2, and used to be 150 3 years ago. I was playing soccer like 5 days a week and started doing track (jumping) and it was really tough for me to gain weight. After my junior year (2009), I was like, **** it, im gonna weight train and try to bulk up for the upcoming soccer season ( i was sick of getting pushed around). The first month, I ate and lifted so much, but couldnt gain a damn thing. The reason was that I was still running like 4 miles a day preparing for soccer. So in July, I just ran a mile a day and ended up gaining 15 pounds in that month. So after soccer my senior year, I really started getting into lifting. I ended up 185 by the end of my senior year and now I've been 195 (my ideal weight for about 6 months). The products that worked best for me have been Isopure whey protein and I've been taking a GNC multivitamin (i think its called "sport"). Good luck though

Damn, just read you were trying to lose weight, disregard my corny story lol

Edited by SMantzas

SMan - actually I think that's a good story! You want to lose FAT not so much generic weight - right?

SMan - actually I think that's a good story! You want to lose FAT not so much generic weight - right?

Well definitely for me. I'm getting close to 8 or 9%, which is what I want to be at.

Edited by Martyisth3b3st

MusclePharm Assault worked AMAZING for me the first day. I just took it and I'm excited to see how my body reacts to a full scoop today.

My workout consists of doing bicep curls with navy destroyers. I follow that up with bench-pressing a skycraper. Anything less I cannot even break a sweat.

Hope that helps!

Nice!

I carb up DURING my workouts, reverse pyramids, which lately have been curling High Life's ... in bottles tyvm! rtdxja.gif

If I am going low carb, ie Lite, I switch to cans to keep from burning thru all the fuel too fast.

I'll still do my Coors Banquet training when I'm looking to bulk up in the fall/winter. :evil:

i tried blackpowder and other NOS type craps and none of them really work. they're like 95% caffeine so why not just drink a pot of coffee. i don't really care how awesome your pumps are if they don't help you make actual gains in the power cage.

i am with DIG. creatine, fish oil, BCAAs.

the real secret to getting swole is eating though. every time you work out, eat three double cheeseburgers and 40 mcnuggets and you will achieve unimaginable gains.

edit: oh i see you are trending in the opposite direction. i don't know how to get unswole but i imagine it involves not eating three double cheeseburgers.

Edited by Nature's Minister

i tried blackpowder and other NOS type craps and none of them really work. they're like 95% caffeine so why not just drink a pot of coffee. i don't really care how awesome your pumps are if they don't help you make actual gains in the power cage.

sh!t like M5 C4 and 1MR are just a thick gloopy wad of caffiene, but MP Assault is only 125 mg caffiene. I really like the pump I get out of it.

i am with DIG. creatine, fish oil, BCAAs.

the real secret to getting swole is eating though. every time you work out, eat three double cheeseburgers and 40 mcnuggets and you will achieve unimaginable gains.

edit: oh i see you are trending in the opposite direction. i don't know how to get unswole but i imagine it involves not eating three double cheeseburgers.

I've buffed up quite a bit since I started lifting... I'm trying to keep packing on the bulk while removing whatever little bit is left from the belly. I'm relatively new to all of this, so any suggestions you have from personal experience would be awesome.

If it's too personal, shoot me a PM or just don't answer at all, but you seem to know what you're talking about... do you mind if I ask you what your height, weight, %BF is? How often do you lift, and how hard to you go when you hit the gym?

man... just imgine -- there will come a time you have no time to work out. You go to bed at 9:30 because you're all tired and stuff... you work a sh!tty job all day but it's amusing enough and you have a family who needs you to do stuff for them and you have no time -- and you'd rather spend the free time you have sitting on your ass day dreaming about gettign some sort of physical excersize. Even parties -- you dont play touch football or pick up roller hockey -- you all gather and eat and drink and wish you were doing something physically active. And then when you have some spare time you go buy all sorts of camping & hiking equipment and then --- the next weekend when you plan to do something -- your furnace breaks down... your oil tank springs a leak.... your toilet bowl seal breaks and you have to reinstall the damm thing and then your back to that whole tired thing... lets have beer and go over to friends house and eat... wait wait no -- you invite everyone to your house to see the new crap you'll never have time to use.

then one day you shell out money to join a gym -- but then you never go for all the reasons stated above....

youth is wasted on the young.

I wonder if I had to earn a roll in the hay would fitness become a priority again?

Hmmmm......

you know and all I hear in my head is Bobby Holik with his big smartass mouth talking about how if it was really important i'd do something and clearly I'd rather complain than get off my ass..... :blahblah: :blahblah: I outta ask if anyone does THAT in the Devils news fix thread....

so... build your muscles while you can men. You;ll be big fatasses by the time you hit I'll say 45 because I'm not that big yet....

no it's cool.

6'1, ~240 pounds. i think i'm sitting somewhere between 12% and 15% body fat but i don't really measure that stuff - could be higher but i really doubt it's lower. the last time i had it measured was five or six (sh!t, come to think of it, prolly about eight) years ago and i was 170 pounds. as long as i keep a 36 inch waist i am happy, or i'd have to buy new pants.

gym 3-4 times per week depending on work schedule. i try to do like four or five months of low weight / high reps followed by the same time period of high weight / low reps. i can't say i always go hard, but i try to. it depends on how i feel. right now i am working on my first 550 pound deadlift!!!

i guess just try to keep carbs under control if you're trying to lose fat and you should be ok. eat a bunch of steaks with a bunch of fibrous vegetables, and wash it down with a porkchop blended into a protein shake. it is pretty hard to lose fat and gain muscle though. usually you end up losing fat and muscle, or gaining both. i don't like cardio so i don't do it, but if i had to do cardio i would probably do a whole bunch of tabata circuits and puke all over the gym.

Edited by Nature's Minister