Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

MANDATORY POST COUNT

47 posts in this topic

I think it's long overdue for this board. I really, really think that there should be a mandatory post-count before people have the ability to start a thread in every section of the board besides "introduce yourself".

I think it helps out on a few levels:

1) it would stop bots from being able to join and spam by creating new threads.

2) it would stop members from joining for the *sole purpose* of selling to our community. We're not an ebay page.

3) it would help slow down and stop par-itis, like we've seen so recently emerge again:

Just a quick browse through hell shows me stuff like this (i'll keep their identites hidden so I don't call them out individually:

Member A has 6 posts. 4 of them are threads. Of the 4 threads, only one brough about any discussion whatsoever.

Member B has 33 posts. 3 of them are threads. None of the threads are on topic, and none of them have more than 2 replies.Hell gets cluttered by meaningless (and oftentimes duplicate) threads. If we make it so your post count must be, say, 100 posts before you're allowed to start a thread, it gives a new member time to learn the ropes and get accustomed to the way things work around here, before they go off and start 5 threads about Free Agency 3 years from now and the future of our backup goalie position.

My suggestion:

Introduce Yourself: 0 post count mandatory

The Marketplace: 200 post count mandatory

All other sections of the board: 100 post count mandatory.

Thoughts?

The software only limits by post count overall to post anything (post or thread). I will look through the resource sites later. The suggestions are valid though.

But aren't 8598 of darths posts thread starters?? :lol:

8,599 counting this one now, I guess. :noclue:

But aren't 8598 of darths posts thread starters?? :lol:

8,599 counting this one now, I guess. :noclue:

Aside from the Board Awards and this suggestion, I've started 4 threads since April 2nd. Hush up, my master.

The software only limits by post count overall to post anything (post or thread). I will look through the resource sites later. The suggestions are valid though.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. I wonder if Rowdy knows anything about it.

I think it is possible. I'll poke around and let DM know what I find.

Hush up, my master.

Best watch your ass, boy! 29wuwj4.gif15ohy4n.gif

Wow, talk about another way to yet make this board even MORE clique-ish and excluding

"hi, we're glad you're here. but you're not good enough to post yet, because God forbid the Message Board gets pissed at a double post or something they don't deem worthy of a new thread...OH NOOOOZZZZSSSSS!!"

BAD idea......

Wow, talk about another way to yet make this board even MORE clique-ish and excluding

"hi, we're glad you're here. but you're not good enough to post yet, because God forbid the Message Board gets pissed at a double post or something they don't deem worthy of a new thread...OH NOOOOZZZZSSSSS!!"

BAD idea......

Your melodramatic and woe-is-me posts are always satisfying on an otherwise dreary day here at NJDevs, Crasher. I post on a few boards where this works very well, it helps the new guys get a feel for the boards before they go off on a thread-tangent and get yelled at.

I'm sure your hysterically embarrassing quote will be word-for-word the message we'd be conveying by adding that rule. In fact, I think every other grown man on this message board would yell out "OH NOOOOZZZSSS" together in warning to the new members.

Your melodramatic and woe-is-me posts are always satisfying on an otherwise dreary day here at NJDevs, Crasher. I post on a few boards where this works very well, it helps the new guys get a feel for the boards before they go off on a thread-tangent and get yelled at.

I'm sure your hysterically embarrassing quote will be word-for-word the message we'd be conveying by adding that rule. In fact, I think every other grown man on this message board would yell out "OH NOOOOZZZSSS" together in warning to the new members.

Further proof that you can be an attention whore idiot at 8,000 posts just as well as at 3 posts, and why the idea is AWFUL (which is the point in expressing an opinon here RIGHT....or does that need a post-count too??)

I'm on plenty of boards too, NONE have a "post count to start a thread rule"

And don't worry once you get out of puberty and off the steroids, you MIGHT understand a little sarcasm there lil feller B )

And don't worry once you get out of puberty and off the steroids, you MIGHT understand a little sarcasm there lil feller B )

Lulz, good one. I don't need steroids to lift my own body weight, which is saying more than others.

B )

I think it's long overdue for this board. I really, really think that there should be a mandatory post-count before people have the ability to start a thread in every section of the board besides "introduce yourself".

I think it helps out on a few levels:

1) it would stop bots from being able to join and spam by creating new threads.

2) it would stop members from joining for the *sole purpose* of selling to our community. We're not an ebay page.

3) it would help slow down and stop par-itis, like we've seen so recently emerge again:

Just a quick browse through hell shows me stuff like this (i'll keep their identites hidden so I don't call them out individually:

Member A has 6 posts. 4 of them are threads. Of the 4 threads, only one brough about any discussion whatsoever.

Member B has 33 posts. 3 of them are threads. None of the threads are on topic, and none of them have more than 2 replies.Hell gets cluttered by meaningless (and oftentimes duplicate) threads. If we make it so your post count must be, say, 100 posts before you're allowed to start a thread, it gives a new member time to learn the ropes and get accustomed to the way things work around here, before they go off and start 5 threads about Free Agency 3 years from now and the future of our backup goalie position.

My suggestion:

Introduce Yourself: 0 post count mandatory

The Marketplace: 200 post count mandatory

All other sections of the board: 100 post count mandatory.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

For the most part I've had stopped posting here mainly due to the fact that wannabe "mods" like you always seem to be complaining about every little thing. I just

feel your attitude drives newer posters away(regardless on how they act). Clearly this isn't the place to rant but I just needed to say it.

Spend a little less time on the internet and shut the **** up! Thanks :boogie:

I agree, nobody likes volunteer hall monitors, I kind of think if the system limits the new thread creation it won't seem so personal.

We are going to give it a try, if people feel it is too restricting and unwelcoming chime in.

If you're looking to gauge people's opinions, I'd suggest posting something about it in hell. I just figured it might be a good idea, I obviously have no problem with it if the rest of the board disagrees.

ANYWAY...

We can't have different forums with different post count requirements before being allowed to start a thread, at least not with what we have out of the box. Like DM said, it's possible there's something on the IPB resources site that would let us do that. What we CAN do is have one global threshold; I figure that ought to be good enough. (That can be turned off per forum, so you can start a thread in Introduce Yourself but nowhere else.) It's also possible to have, on a per-forum basis, a post count you must have before being allowed to post at all.

I can see the benefits of doing it. It's yet another weapon in the battle against spam, and it "encourages" n00bs to sit back and see how we do things before starting topics of their own.

We're working on it, shaking out the bugs and whatnot.

Being somewhat "new" in the sense I mostly lurk, have a low post count, and active on other forums, I can see the benefits to it.

It wouldn't affect me due to my habits, and experience in forums, but i can see it helping with other types of people.

I think it is a lack of common sense and laziness that causes duplicate threads, and not following large single topic threads.

If it needs to be done to help teach users, then go for it.

BAD idea......

Lulz, good one. I don't need steroids to lift my own body weight, which is saying more than others.

30cywt2.gif

If yer gonna do it, I don't think you need to get in the hundreds. maybe 40? I thought Crasher was actually on to something there. :huh:

So now I won't be able to get the latest deals on knock-offs from bbest*****.com anymore? This sucks!!

can someone start a thread on authentic vs knockoff jerseys ... or has that one been done ? whistling.gif

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.

X number of posts before one can start a thread? Sheesh, that is absurd. I belong to several forums and have been online since the 90's and the only restriction that I have ever encountered was the first post, regardless of being a thread starter or a reply, was checked by admins so that spam was held to a minimum. Spammers get banned all the time on other boards. This first post to be reviewed helps alleviate such nonsense. Oh, nice way to avoid letting folks sell stuff like tickets to a game they cannot attend. I have this place go through lots of changes over the years and this one takes the cake. Nice way to be friendly and open to new members. Thanks for joining and now you are restricted like a child in pre-school.

I kind of agree. The problem at this point in the season is it can be kind of quiet. So some of the so-so threads linger on the front page a bit longer. This is just the nature of the off season (and a long one at that). Restrictions may turn off people that would bring valuable discussion to the board.

15zrsq1.gif

Not sure how "Crappy Threads" effect DM, but they don't seem too bad at all on this site. A few every once in a while is all.

Then there're those awful "Last person to post wins" type of threads. Who starts those things anyway?? You should ban those idiots from starting threads!! :soap:

Edited by Masked Fan

Remember when we used to hijack the bad threads and have fun with them?? :P

Thank y'all for putting it in nicer words then I did (but yet still saying the same thing), anything that makes people think twice about posting is BAD and limits the number of people who discuss things

The problem with this board lately isn't the threads that get started, it's the personal insults run rampant in them. Plus a lot of the recent kvetching about starting threads is actually more about borderline cases than anything else. Whether you think Fraser merits his own thread, it's debatable but since he's still a Devil and actually played the last couple years why not - hell I'd start a thread on him just to shake my head at his audacity at going to arb again :P

Plus if people are going to get indignant about starting threads for major non-Devil signings in Hell (the thread which affects all the hockey world, after all) then that's really being obtuse. You could argue that we shouldn't have a FA thread then but it does serve a purpose in talking about rumors and minor signings.

No, noobs aren't going to know what topics are worthy of threads and what aren't, but as long as it isn't because of laziness (starting a second and third threads on the same page for example) they shouldn't be getting castigated the way they have been lately.

can someone start a thread on authentic vs knockoff jerseys ... or has that one been done ? whistling.gif

Haha I just want one to see another round of insults and bannings like the last one did.

While you are looking for something to limit newbie thread creation under a specific post count how about something to reset Martyisth3b3st's post count to zero every time he logs on?