SterioDesign

Janssen is backkkkkkk

126 posts in this topic

I understand Clarkson gets paid 5+ times what Janssen does (well, assuming Cam makes $550K, but stranger things have happened). But in all honesty, he gives you 5+ times what Cam does. Even last year. So let's lay off the Clarkson slagging. Cam doesn't replace him because he's a spot starter who might play 5 minutes if a game is out of hand.

If you bring in Cam under the pretense of playing him 82 times and remove Clarkson from the roster... your team just got significantly worse.

I don't think Janssen is a replacement for Clarkson, but I also don't think Clarkson is deserving of "slag-free" treatment. Since we've been removed from Devils hockey for a while now, it took me some time to remember just how bad of a season he had. 18 points in 82 games. He did manage to have 170 hits, for whatever that's worth, but averaging about a point every 5 games for $2.67 million is just eating away cap space for underachieving production.

Everyone knocks Rolston (myself included) because he's likely for a 40-point season over 82 full games. That's almost double Clarkson's cap hit for double the production.

Janssen won't play 82 games; I don't think anyone is suggesting this is a one-for-one move. But if Janssen becomes the 4th liner to replace Adam Mair's spot duty (or what he should have been receiving, anyway), and Clarkson gets moved, that opens up roster spots for guys like Zharkov, Tedenby, and Josefson to play more games...and it clears cap space, which would help in re-signing Parise or potentially fitting Larsson onto the team.

Biggest downside: Devils would lose another physical winger capable of playing top-six minutes if needed. With Clarkson moved, the Devils' most physical forwards are Pelley and Janssen, with Palmieri and Zubrus distantly trailing.

i don't think NJ ends up making a trade with clarkson, but i think if he does go, he goes to san jose.

SJ could use a guy like Clarkson since Eager and Nichols are no longer around... but $2.67million is a pretty big cap hit for a team with $5mil in cap space. Guess it'd be worth it for them if they didn't have to give up much (Ben Ferriero?) and thought he could be an energy guy in limited minutes.

Anaheim's a team that could really benefit from getting Clarkson. They have just 9 forwards under contract and have $14mil in cap space. Clarkson could be a jack of all trades for them, and for a forwards corps that already has Getzlaf, Ryan, and Perry, a player like Clarkson could wear down defensemen even more.

Now if we can trade Sal back to the Blues, it will be like one big "Un-do" button was pressed !

We couldn't have Kaberle... So we take Cam !

Welcome back Cyco ! I missed you

Glad to have Cam back. We missed his element here.

Clarkson isn't going anywhere. I think a new coach who will use him correctly (like Sutter) will do wonders for him and get him back on track.

Glad to have Cam back. We missed his element here.

Clarkson isn't going anywhere. I think a new coach who will use him correctly (like Sutter) will do wonders for him and get him back on track.

Wouldn't bet on it, but I hope you're right. He's no Alex Burrows or even Steve Downey. He sure as heck ain't not Milan Lucic. He hasn't developed as everyone hoped. His toe drag and wrap around tricks are good for a few goals a year, but otherwise, he's not helping much. Prob a good warrior to have in a long playoff series who could potentially score some big goals, but we don't really have the luxury of his cap number, if other pieces (such as Rolston) can't be moved and we do indeed sign Parise and Larsson.

Ship him out.

I love Cam but he is no heavyweight. Just watch some of his fights from this last season. He was clearly beaten in many of his fights. I will miss PL3. Wouldn't mind have Big Steve MacIntyre for our heavyweight.

I love Cam but he is no heavyweight. Just watch some of his fights from this last season. He was clearly beaten in many of his fights. I will miss PL3. Wouldn't mind have Big Steve MacIntyre for our heavyweight.

:blink:

Not a heavyweight? Who would you classify as a heavyweight? I'm just curious

And do you consider PL^3 a heavyweight? Personally I see cam & PL^3 as being essentially on the same level

Edited by Devilsfan118

I don't see either of them as a heavyweight. Janssen I think might have been considered one until his shoulder injury, I don't think he has been as effective since then though.

Wouldn't bet on it, but I hope you're right. He's no Alex Burrows or even Steve Downey. He sure as heck ain't not Milan Lucic. He hasn't developed as everyone hoped. His toe drag and wrap around tricks are good for a few goals a year, but otherwise, he's not helping much. Prob a good warrior to have in a long playoff series who could potentially score some big goals, but we don't really have the luxury of his cap number, if other pieces (such as Rolston) can't be moved and we do indeed sign Parise and Larsson.

Ship him out.

Never said he was, but he can put in 20+ goals, and be a physical force and keep other teams honest.

:blink:

Not a heavyweight? Who would you classify as a heavyweight? I'm just curious

And do you consider PL^3 a heavyweight? Personally I see cam & PL^3 as being essentially on the same level

Steve MacIntyre

Height: 6' 6"

Weight: 265lbs

Cam Janssen

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 205lbs

see the difference?

Steve MacIntyre

Cam Janssen

see the difference?

Oh jesus, i had no idea Cam was so 'tiny', wow. I stand corrected

Needed someone to replace PL3 in Albany. He should do better than PL3 in Albany. Doubt we will see him in the NHL right now as there is no room for him on the team. Maybe Janssen will be called up for some games that have enforcers. Other than that he will play most of his games in Albany IMO.

Never really cared for PL3 but like Janssen a lot better when it comes to fighters for the Devils plus he loves it here in New Jersey. Its a good thing its a 2-way contract.

Edited by SatansDevils

I wonder if Andrew Peters is available. That guy's 6'4" and a total heavyweight... just what we need, right?

I was at his first rookie camp at SMA and he even looked like a pitbull. He's massively tough and really likable on ice. I don't know how that it is, but it is. Even with his stupid myspace blatherings :doh1: I like him way more than PL3. PL3 annoyed me even with all his apparent exuberance. Is it exuberance or is it unfounded bravado? :rolleyes:

CamJanssen55 Cam Janssen

Great to be a Devil again, STL will always be my home but time head out east!!!

:koolaid:

Steve MacIntyre

Cam Janssen

see the difference?

Height doesn't mean you can fight. Ask Tie Domi. Not that Cam is as good as Domi, but he has the take-on-anyone tenacity that you want in an enforcer. Like someone mentioned, Peters was tall, too. Didn't mean he brought anything.

Height doesn't mean you can fight. Ask Tie Domi. Not that Cam is as good as Domi, but he has the take-on-anyone tenacity that you want in an enforcer. Like someone mentioned, Peters was tall, too. Didn't mean he brought anything.

Cam might not have the height but you are right he does hold his own and is willing. IMO he should swap salaries with Clarkson, but then again I just want Clarkson gone completely and Cam to just make what he just signed for.

us---johnny-o--cam-janssen-from-the.jpg

Nice! I want some Taang!

One thing we forget is that Janssen is built. He's a wide muscly dude and he studies fighting. He's not just a thugish dude who goes and tosses the punches haphazardly.

That doesn't make him a heavyweight though, Sugar Ray Leonard could fight but he wouldn't be classified as a heavyweight either. Janssen's short and small compared to the real heavyweights...he's basically a middleweight who gets the most out of his fighting talent.

Peters spent most of the time falling down and standing around if I can remember properly.

Peters spent most of the time falling down and standing around if I can remember properly.

How could he have spent most of the time doing two things that are exact opposites? :P

That doesn't make him a heavyweight though, Sugar Ray Leonard could fight but he wouldn't be classified as a heavyweight either. Janssen's short and small compared to the real heavyweights...he's basically a middleweight who gets the most out of his fighting talent.

In hockey, I don't think heavy weight has much to do with size as much as it does with who you'll fight and how you fight them. That's why I mentioned Domi earlier. He was small, but his battles with Probert were legendary.

OH MAN one of my favorites!!

So glad this guy is back

Thanks LOU!

Edited by A49ER08