devilsrule33

Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

288 posts in this topic

Why sign today? why not wait until weds to announce it? Either Zach want to test FA or Lou doesn't trust his knee. Any other reason?

Zach may want to see how the team does too. If the Devils do poorly again he would more likely want to leave.

right, and then parise could've negotiated with other teams and found out what they might pay him next year, plus possibly sign an offer sheet. smart plan.

I find it hard to believe that all the negotiations were a ruse and the team wanted him on a one year deal along. I can believe the team trying to get a long term deal at cheaper than Parise/his agent wanted, then deciding just to go with a one year deal, but the idea that this was all part of a master plan to sign Parise to a one year deal is ludicrous to me.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I think Lou's idea of longterm was 5-7 yrs which leaves Parise in a bad spot to get paid (32-34). Parise's idea was likely lifetime (10-12yrs).

Only my thoughts backed up by nothing... buts that's how I see them both saying they want him to stay long term but not agreeing.... they take a 1 yr pass to avoid a hearing. I think Lou breaks his norm and works on this during the season... if he doesn't then ill be pisses. But as of now, this isn't desirable but makes sense for both sides

Big deal. Don't act like this franchise is completely screwed without him. We got someone who is arguably much better than Parise and actually showed up for the playoffs in 2010. This might set up a trade this season, who knows. As long as he doesn't walk for free...

Edited by Marv4Life

Big deal. Don't act like this franchise is completely screwed without him. We got someone who is arguably much better than Parise and actually showed up for the playoffs in 2010. This might set up a trade this season, who knows. As long as he doesn't walk for free...

Yes Im not the only one, Zubrus is our franchise! Career high 30 plus goals coming up!....Oh Kovalchuk, that's right :whistling:

Edited by Zubie#8

Its entirely too early to be negative about this. He's ours for this year and maybe an exception to Lou's normal re-negotiation routine will be made come January if Zach is off to a hot start.

Avoiding arbitration is a good thing. We have even more money coming off the books next year too. Its not lost until he signs with someone else or is traded.

We still havent had a full season of Zach and Kovy on the same team. While they wont be linemates, I'm very interested in seeing the dynamics over a full season.

I agree. Does Parise help the team? Absouloutley. But i wouldn't give the guy a 9 mil cap hit for a decade. If he wants to be here and wants to win, he will sign a favorable contract. Bottom line.

at least we def have him for this year.. plenty of time to get an extension once the new years begins... it is what it is, and we all hope he gets a long termer

on a more annoying note, 29 other teams idiot fans will say how Parise hates NJ and wants to go to __________

and how he would look great in a _________ sweater

Let the season begin, if hes 100% healthy and things go right, hell be joining the rest of the Devil-for-life players

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this deal. Obviously it is great that they avoided the arbitration hearing and a 1 year deal gives the Devils a chance to see how he recovered from the injury and it gives Parise a chance to earn himself a better payday. Still for the first time regarding Parise being a Devil for a long time I'm legitimately worried. Even if he comes back and has a monster first half and raises his price, I'm sure the Devils will do everything in their power to keep him. However, it has to be tempting as the player to go to July 1st. Hopefully they get a deal worked out and announced shortly after January 1st.

The whole notion that Lou said he ran out of time is bullsh!t. This is his doing

Not really happy with just a one year deal, but I guess it is what it is.

Well per TG..

In 2007, the Rangers filed for team-elected arbitration with goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and agreed to a one-year deal to avoid arbitration as well. The Rangers then signed Lundqvist to a six-year extension the following February.

I guess we are going to find out how badly Zach wants to remain a Devil.

Let me just remind you all how no news brodeur and king nothing signings were in mid season, no pressure all loyalty. Don't worry about lou s cap.

I guess we are going to find out how badly Zach wants to remain a Devil.

Of course we're going to have to wait six months to a year to find that out...god, can we have one frigging season without a black cloud hanging over it already?

The whole notion that Lou said he ran out of time is bullsh!t.

This is what happens when you do everything last-minute. Sometimes it bites you. I guess Lou's still waiting to figure out what the cap number's going to be for this year :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

Well, I'm not really happy with this. I was hoping for a longer term deal. Zach seems to be a nice guy, class guy and a fan favorite. He is a hard worker and a good athlete. I'd love to see him in Devil red for the next 10 years but so far that's not the case. It doesn't mean he won't be a Devil in the future but this 1 year deal makes me a little nervous. Seriously though, if you are a Devils fan you live with nervous. That's the nature of the team.

Bottom line... I was hoping for a longer deal but I trust management. I'd rather see a 1 year deal then to over pay for a player. I wouldn't want to have to be sad in the future about his contract like I did with Rolston. Not comparing the two mind you, just the fact that the contract could be out of wack if he was asking for too many years or too much money.

Scoops

This is what happens when you do everything last-minute. Sometimes it bites you. I guess Lou's still waiting to figure out what the cap number's going to be for this year :P

yes, that's what happened. even though the hearing is 4 days away, they clearly ran out of time to negotiate a new deal.

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.

We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.

The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.

And if we're serious about possibly trading Parise, our situation is no different now than it was before the contract.

I understand where people are coming from saying thats its safer that way because of zach's knee and everything, i get it and its making sense. I wont deny it

BUT... That wasnt Lou's plan, and people denying this are either in denial or just love the taste of lou's balls a bit too much imo...

- If that was the plan all along why did he filled for arbitration so he can have more time, after he got that extra time... Took the last week or so to really get into it and ran out of time

- why would he repeatly say that it was a priority and that he wanted to get a long term deal done.

- the waiting for the cap annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t

- the waiting for a coach annoucement excuses is now bullsh!t

- the waiting for the draft excuses is now bullsh!t

- actually any excuses are now bullsh!t

If that was really Lou's plan he could have done it a long time ago and then why all those moves to get some cap space?

Plain and simple... Lou said it... They ran out of time... Means he didnt accomplish what he wanted... Thsts a fail and thats 100% lou's fault... Zach has been saying for MONTHS that he wanted to enter contract talks and lou was sitting in his ass waiting and ran out of time

Edited by SterioDesign

I'm neutral on this deal. Obviously we all wanted to see more years.

We can't be angry at Lou without information about how ownership is affecting things.

The Rolston trade had to happen anyway. We would be over the cap now if we had kept him. We might not have used all of the space freed up by the trade effectively though.

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.

what are we gonna do with the remaining cap?

Thats what im hoping for... To see something creative out of this at least...

Or we could get something at the trade deadline... I know were not used to have money to spend but you also dont always have to spend every penny to be competitive... I guess we'll see

While I hoping for a long-term deal now, just like everyone else on this board (and all other Devil fans), I really can't complain about this deal. Bottom line we have Parise set for this year, and now both sides get to see if he is truly healthy. The Devils don't want to take an unnecessary risk (as someone put it "like the Isles getting DP'ed), and Zach knows he can command more money if he does stay healthy. And I don't think Lou is particularly worried about the later scenario since we have White's and Salvador's contracts coming off the books next year. I will remain optimistic.

I am glad he is signed even if it is only one year without going to arbitration. After this coming season more money is available for a better deal, it is obvious that Parise won't sign for $6 M per season. I want him as a Devil for a long time.

Thank you.. Exactly my point..

Like I keep repeating, it's a win-win:

- Lou avoids arb and has cap space if need be

- Zach will get more money from the Devils if he waits to start his long term contract next season

This is a GOOD thing guys, so let's just show a little patience here..

We'd be at worst around 500k over the cap with a 23-man roster with the $3 million difference between Rolston and Hunter, and that's counting Salvador too.

True, but that deal to get yourself out of being capped out always costs more than the one that avoids it.