devilsrule33

Official: Parise Signs 1-Year Deal

288 posts in this topic

I posted this on HF, which pretty much sums up my thoughts thinking about the last few hours. I can't help but shake the rumors from throughout the year or how close he was to Langs and Pandolfo, both of whom left on bad terms. I'm thinking he just doesn't want to be here and is trying to get to UFA.

Like I've said before I don't like this one bit. Throughout the season one would read nuggets in different articles about scuttle but about Zach wanting out. Not just twitter or HF rumors, which are meaningless, but in published articles. You don't know if it is just speculation or if there is something behind it. You look at who he was friendly with on the team and those guys (Langenbrunner and Pandolfo) didn't leave on good terms. Now granted that was of their doing, but still. It makes you wonder if he is happy here. Then comes this 1-year deal. You look at all that and you have to wonder if he wants to be here or wants out and is biding his time.

Here is a quote I want to throw out.

"I think the fact that we're able to get a number that's comfortable with both sides is a good sign,"... "We hope he's going to be with us for a long time, but that's something we'll deal with in due time."

Sounds like stuff we heard tonight from both sides. That quote was from then Panthers GM Jacques Martin when they settled with Bouwmeester the year before he left. There were rumors that he wanted out, but the Panthers held on thinking they could get him to sign. We now know he had no intention of ever re-signing with them. There are other examples. You can't really believe what either party says in these things.

And as I have said many other times this sounds like the Sutter thing. You here one thing about how he wants to leave at the end of the year from one place. Than a similar nugget somewhere else. Then he gets asked and he protest to the Devils writers. At the end of the season he is gone. I think the whole Sutter thing contributed to the Devils late side at the end of that year and maybe a bit to the playoff loss to Carolina because they went entered in a funk.

I can't shake those feelings. It is going to be a looming questions. Honestly given those feelings I hope they trade him this summer.

the devils are in a cap and team position to match just about anything parise would reasonably get in future years. to do so now makes it a liability on the books for potential owners and investors. its quite possible there are bank covenants on loans the devils have that don't allow for that much salary to be committed.

my point is that the fact that there is no long term deal right now is almost certainly ownership driven and only possibly because parise asked for the absolute moon.

By becoming a ufa next season Parise also gains all the leverage in free agency.

jkr, bouwmeester was an excellent player on a go-nowhere franchise. what incentive would bouwmeester have to stay in florida?

they're also not going to trade him. even if they knew for a fact he was leaving, it wouldn't make much sense to deal him.

Edited by Triumph

they're also not going to trade him. even if they knew for a fact he was leaving, it wouldn't make much sense to deal him.

i'm not sure if you're referring to bouwmeester or parise in this statement, but if the devils are bad again, and parise isn't signed, i think you have to trade him.

i'm not sure if you're referring to bouwmeester or parise in this statement, but if the devils are bad again, and parise isn't signed, i think you have to trade him.

I think the expectation is the Devils will be good. If the Devils are good then Parise won't be dealt. If they stink then he might be, depending how talks are going.

Not happy about this, but the silver lining is that there will not be the bad blood that results from many arbitration hearings.

Oh he'll get more money but now it might not be from the Devils, there's no way that's a good thing. And it keeps alive all the speculation about ownership issues, Zach wanting out, etc that I was hoping wouldn't be a distraction the next six months to a year.

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out.. Seems like a lot of people prefer to see things that way than to take step back and analyze the situation the way Lou really would.. Zach will be a Devil long term, but this will keep a lot of people "excited" for a while

Zach is probably looking for a deal starting at 7M per, so what some people are saying is sign him at 6M and negotiate long term starting next year when some contracts are off the books.

Yes!!

Good enough for now. Gives an extension to the actual contract for next season. Happy to read this.

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

As much as I was devastated by this news and think it makes a realistic possibility this could be Parise's last year in NJ, it's the right move. Sorry but you can't just hand out an 8-10 year contract to a guy who missed almost an entire season. We already locked Kovy up in too long of a contract, you can't do another long term big money deal like that with another guy who missed a season. Then if Kovy and Parise severely under perform the franchise is handicapped for a decade.

Disappointing indeed. Let's just hope it's a case of Lou wanting to offer him a 12 year 80M $ contract, but explaining to Zack that he needs to see that the knee is in fact back in shape first.

let's say there's really that management problem that they need to get settle first or wtv... can they go public about it? at least to let people know that that was the problem or wtv (if thats the case) or they keep that behind close doors... cause there's team like nashville that we know are not willing to spend to the cap for some reasons.

if you are trying to sell part of a team, why in the world would you ever go public with information like, 'hey, we can't sign our best player to a long-term deal because of this'. that's sure to make negotiations go smoother.

Yes, it keeps alive the typical paranoia and ridiculous fears that never really seem to play out..

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year. I've been saying others are paranoid about the Devils' financial issues but that's become like the Sutter thing, the gremlin under the bed that just won't go away.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Never play out lol, for a year and a half I've been saying Manta was paranoid to the nth degree but what have the Devils done as a franchise to disprove any of it so far? They've been a .500 team for a year and a half and Parise's inching closer to the door since we lavished our time and attention on Kovy last year.

If they sign a deal in January then you can feel free to be an I told you so but there's really no evidence anymore that this is going to happen. Both sides are giving it lip service, yeah both sides gave a long-term deal lip service too and had months to talk, how did that work out?

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

I dunno, how did Zach Parise being healthy work out? Can you name one player who signed a lifetime deal coming off a <40 game season? Hell, even name one who got a 6+ year contract (I'm sure there is at least one, can't think of him right now though)

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I made it to page 3... C'est tres amusante!

It seems everyone has forgotten how Lou operates. Kovalchuk was an anomoly! Lou pays out after he feels a guy has earned it. You earn it after living through your first UFA signing. Then even if you suck he'll sign you to a huge paycheck mid-season a la Madden, white etc, OR he'll get you back to the team with a muti-million post 35yearold contract a la Rolston. It's embarassing but it's Lou. If Lou feels you've been with the team too short a time he puts the screws to you - Claude, Mogilny, Niewendyke ... and for emerging UFAs --- they have to wait until they are officially named UFAs and CHOOSE the Devils offer. Holik, Niedermayer, Elias, Gomez... and now it's Parise's turn to start up with the "We haven;t heard a thing from Lou" come January 2012... February same statement, March, April May -- we'll say it's the playoffs after that.... then we'll all see Zach hoisting the Cup and still no word from lou. We'll have our usual June 30th panic and then.... we'll see.... but don't go thinking ANYTHING will happen until next july. It will not. Zach has to survive the UFA test - Conn Smyth or no...

The nice thing for Zach is he knows he can sign a 10 year deal with the Wings and play like a beached whale he'll still get a huge contract from Lou in his golden years, We'll see Zach with a 50 million/5 year contract with the Devils .... on July 28th, 2019

This IS my real expectation. and I dont think it's that tongue in cheek. Except I'm assuming Zach won't settle for Lou's sh!t. It may be worth it. I don't know, because I'm not behind the scenes. Elias, Marty and Stevens all thought it was worth it.

Lou didn't sign anyone to a lifetime deal in twenty years of GM'ing before last year either - particularly someone who'd only been here thirty games - there's always a first for everything.

And Elias got a seven-year deal coming off a <40 game season, for starters (well okay it wasn't below 40 including playoffs but still).

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.

and as for Manta's fear mongering -- the problem is that the pre-kovalchuk and post-Kovalchuk logic he's trying to play up against each other ---- is flawed.

How does one big contract change the standard for being a Devils player, when the standard is not being adversely affected by other players' contracts?

It doesn't. If a player won't sign because of Kovalchuk's contract ..... he never would have signed with the Devils organization. EVER. unless the paradigm was changed forever and the Devils turned Rangers.

They haven't. The story of Kovalchuk ruining the team is over. There is nothing to bitch about. It was a one year directive from ownership. If a player cannot accept that, he's not a player you want on the Devils.

If there was a significant change in philosophy I might agree -- but this is the same story as always. There is no new monkey wrnech thrown in here. It is what it is since as long as I've been even a casual fan.

Two days ago:We trade Rolston, looks as though Parise signing long term will come at any moment

Yesterday:Parise signs to one year deal, franchise is doomed

Elias was a completely different situation. He earned his offer by finishing the season putting up 22 goals and 39 assists in 47 games(reg season + playoffs). By contrast, Zach Parise hadn't registered a point in 9 full months as of yesterday.

AND Elias TOOK the offer. We don't know what anyone else who didn't take it was offered. Because Elias WOULD take the offer he got that kind of an offer. I know some of you aren't able to understand that logic -- but it IS Devils logic :evil:

that's because no one besides wayne gretzky ever got a lifetime deal. a lifetime deal didn't make sense under the old rules for player or team. we're seeing these as fairly commonplace. hell, christian ehrhoff got one. it's all the rage now.

true, but

A: that was a medical condition, not an injury - slight difference

B: he dominated when he came back

I really hope Parise doesn't read the forums.

My guess is that he'd laugh at the people afraid of him leaving.. It's not happening.. He'll be resigned long term by the trade dealine, the Devils will have the extra cap room to possibly make some good deals, and Zach will get his big multi-year contract at a higher cap hit than if he had signed it right now

I know I'll take a ton of crap if I'm wrong, but I have such a strong gut feeling about this that I don't think I will be wrong

Colin -- I dont think he'll sign mid-year. That just never happens. There is always a reason and a decent one to push it off until last minute and Lou just always seems to let his UFAs test the market - it's what he does.