jagknife

White and Hunter bought out.

456 posts in this topic

He might be worth about the same as White next year - although White has only managed 80 games twice, whereas I think Greene has never been injured since coming into the NHL, so that probably tips the scales in favor of Greene. He's certainly worth more than White going forward - White probably has 2 years left as a full-time NHL defenseman, maybe less if he suffers a serious injury this season.

That's fair, though I think White's value is slightly higher because he plays physical. If we add Larrson or Corrente, we're fine in that department. I feel less confident with Urbom or especially Tao.

I don't think the Devils anticipated that they would have to buy White out.

What changed this?

This. Nothing against the Greenie monster, but we need to free space (roster and cap) to get the kids in and give us flexibility for the guys who are going to be UFA, so why keep him? Is he really worth more than White? Especially since we're essentially paying him an extra million when you factor in what we're paying White when we buy him out?

sorry but.... to have burns they give setoguchi .... who can we give for burns??? nothing in my mind

What changed this?

I can't speak for Tri, but maybe he was implying that the Devils expected someone to claim White on waivers.

The bad moves just keep adding up. What a great trade for Rolston.

The Kovy signing continues to be the bad move that continues to snowball.

I can't speak for Tri, but maybe he was implying that the Devils expected someone to claim White on waivers.

no, i think they expected there to be a trade market for white. but with someone like scott hannan still an unrestricted free agent, that market hasn't materialized.

We should have a pool. Everyone chips in a buck to guess how long Manta goes between poo-pooing the Kovy deal. Whoever gets the closest days between posts wins the pot.

A little bummed about White. I just figured out his new nickname:

True-Grit-Trailer-27-9-10-kc.jpg

True Grit!

no, i think they expected there to be a trade market for white. but with someone like scott hannan still an unrestricted free agent, that market hasn't materialized.

Sorry about that; my fault on misrepresenting your ideas.

Edit: I thought you were saying that you felt the Devils wouldn't have to buy White out even after putting him on waivers. My bad. :doh1:

Edited by devils26

Mantaray is always pessimistic, but I cant hate on him cause he named himself after a pixies song.

Being the realist I am, all I can say is that this season will be very interesting (lot of rookies,new coach,parise,ilya,captain,etc...".

Rooster White ... Sweet.

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man

Haha I re-read that and thought HOw'd I think THAT was the line? I had "that's big talk for a one-eyed fat man" :doh1:

In the Cohen Bros version - Maddy reminds me so much of my daughter looks wise!

Edited by Pepperkorn

The bad moves just keep adding up. What a great trade for Rolston.

The Kovy signing continues to be the bad move that continues to snowball.

If I heard the things you "said" during the game at the arena I'd probably start and big argument an make you look like a little b!t@h

If I heard the things you "said" during the game at the arena I'd probably start and big argument an make you look like a little b!t@h

Calm down parsie. You must be Italian.

Calm down parsie. You must be Italian.

Just a short fuse sry-_-

So anyway -- I was thinking what's weird about Manta's opinions this past year is how he'd tolerate the crappy performance of the post-lockout Devils.

YES - CRAP is not making it past the second round in the play offs - only making it out of the first ONCE. that sucks! Something had to be done. If you're going to suck SUCK dont be all half-assed number one during the stupid regular season. What's good about that? How can anyone even tolerate that? It' meaningless! <_< GRRRRRR!!! Why have such low WIMPY BALL-LESS standards??!?!?! I get all infuriated thinking about it even :rant:

So basically we threw away Rolston and White for $6+ million of cap space (after factoring in the dead cap hit to White and Hunter) and a little over half that in real money savings, lovely. There better be some sort of master plan at the end of this other than having three guys who've played less than a full season in the NHL combined start on defense once Sal is finished for good.

So anyway -- I was thinking what's weird about Manta's opinions this past year is how he'd tolerate the crappy performance of the post-lockout Devils.

Except they've made him look like a hockey savant for a year and a half and I'm tired of it. .500 hockey since the Kovy trade and guys just keep going out the door at ten cents on the dollar with Zach having one foot out the door.

Edited by NJDevs4978

So basically we threw away Rolston and White for $6+ million of cap space (after factoring in the dead cap hit to White and Hunter) and a little over half that in real money savings, lovely.

I can't speak for the White move, but honestly - Rolston sucks. He played well with Elias - that doesn't speak to Rolston being good, it speaks to how awesome Patrik Elias is. Anyone the team puts with Elias is going to play well. Would you really want him on the point on the power play this year? He slowed the PP to a crawl, he can't pass. All he does well on the PP is shoot. Even if the Devils replace him with nothing, they're better off - they have room at the deadline now.

Except they've made him look like a hockey savant for a year and a half and I'm tired of it. .500 hockey since the Kovy trade and guys just keep going out the door at ten cents on the dollar with Zach having one foot out the door.

yawn. team will make the playoffs next year.

Edited by Triumph

yawn. team will make the playoffs next year.

All I have to say is, they better make the playoffs comfortably and re-sign Zach or Manta'll really be able to beat that 'it'll take years for us to recover from the Kovy contract' drum and he'd be justified. Lou isn't making it any easier on DeBoer with running out the kiddie corps as half the starting defense for the second straight year.

So basically we threw away Rolston and White for $6+ million of cap space (after factoring in the dead cap hit to White and Hunter) and a little over half that in real money savings, lovely. There better be some sort of master plan at the end of this other than having three guys who've played less than a full season in the NHL combined start on defense once Sal is finished for good.

Agreed. Signing Parise for one year rather than multiple years I can understand. Trading away Rolston I can understand and even applaud. I don't get dumping White, especially when this was his last year anyway and the remaining defensive depth is on the shallow side. This had better be leading up to something big.

I fail to see how signing Kovy leads to dumping White (and Hunter, I suppose, though Rolston's contract needed to go, Kovy or no Kovy). The Devs already had a decent amount of cap room. If the team finances really are as dire as some think, they'd be bad regardless of Kovy's contract. Someone other than Manta please explain this one to me.

All I have to say is, they better make the playoffs comfortably and re-sign Zach or Manta'll really be able to beat that 'it'll take years for us to recover from the Kovy contract' drum and he'd be justified. Lou isn't making it any easier on DeBoer with running out the kiddie corps as half the starting defense for the second straight year.

um, last year's kiddie corps on d was magnan, fraser, corrente, taormina and fayne. fayne was a success, no two ways about it and taormina was on his way to being productive before he got hurt. the other 3 were well below average. this year's "kiddie corps" will consist of larsson and urbom along with fraser and corrente as essential place holders.

that being said, my issue with letting white go is that should tallinder, volchenkov or greene sustain injury, there is zero "reliable" depth.

in the end, we just have to see what these new guys can do and what deboer can do with them

the off-season isn't over and there are 5 legit NHL D still without contracts, and not many potential landing spots left in the NHL. i'm not saying lou will sign a free agent, but he certainly might.

It's not hard to seem a savant when everyone understands what's going to HAVE to go down to grow the team into the right direction.

I do not mind a struggling team if it's moving in the right direction. i DO mind a top of mediocre team - status quo top of the pack only to fail when it counts. I can't abide that.

Manta has called NOTHING accurately.

I got pretty damm specific saying without lemaire to start him off Kovalchuk was doomed to failure and the rest of the team will flounder behind him. I went BERSERK about this the second Lemaire retired. whatever -- everyone wanted MacLean and what do i know so I shut up! then I went a little nuts when failure was just getting insurmountable... and then lemaire came back... manta had no fvcking explination for THAT one did he? never discusses the second half of the season...

I just read nothing productive from manta -- broad brushstrokes like Kovalchuk sucks and things are in a downward spiral... WTF is that? That's nonsense and UNTRUE. It's a strawman argument :evil: Manta never responds to my direct questions. Never provides any plan forward. Just bitches INCESSANTLY... with no solution. No course of action which SHOULD have been taken even -- other than IMPLY ONLY that he'd have preferred to stay the old failure of a course... Generalities ... it's just for losers that stupid mindset <_< and I'm too flippin' tired ot even discuss it further Y&$^&@*)^&@$%*)&$_)%^)*$*)^$(_ <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

I fail to see how signing Kovy leads to dumping White (and Hunter, I suppose, though Rolston's contract needed to go, Kovy or no Kovy). The Devs already had a decent amount of cap room. If the team finances really are as dire as some think, they'd be bad regardless of Kovy's contract. Someone other than Manta please explain this one to me.

Being way over the cap last year and having a $100 million contract on the books with $11 million plus payments due the next few years are a contributing factor to bad finances, no? Not to mention the Kovy deal is probably encouraging Zach to go for every last dollar a little more.

um, last year's kiddie corps on d was magnan, fraser, corrente, taormina and fayne. fayne was a success, no two ways about it and taormina was on his way to being productive before he got hurt. the other 3 were well below average. this year's "kiddie corps" will consist of larsson and urbom along with fraser and corrente as essential place holders.

Fayne was awful until JL got here, Taormina lasted nineteen games and had White on the other side of him to compensate for his own defensive shortcomings. While MacLean was a terrible coach, having the kiddie corps on D contributed to the bad first half. I don't think it'll get that bad under DeBoer but this team really needs to get out of the blocks fast to put last year behind them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

hmmm interestingg i guess we'll see what happens