jagknife

White and Hunter bought out.

456 posts in this topic

I agree with whoever it was up there that said the Devils are rebuilding. We have been rebuilding for a season or two now. There is one other sports team I can compare the Devils rebuilding to and that is the New England Patriots. They have been rebuilding for a few seasons now letting guys like richard seymore, randy moss, tedy bruschi, junior seau, etc move on to different things. These were all great players but it was time to move on. The Patriots all the while have been getting younger by inserting their draft picks and young kids into the line up and giving them their shot. While this has been going on, the Patriots have been able to maintain being an elite team and won their division a few times. This is what I compare the Devils rebuilding to and I still expect the Devils to make the playoffs and if a few bounces go our way in the playoffs who knows what can happen.

sharks were rumored for white. makes sense for them. isles could also work as he can leave his family here in NJ and commute.

probably that a team was really interested in white but not at 3m... Lou could of put him on re-entry then pay half his salary but the way Lou did it i guess its cheaper for both teams... Lou is saving 500k that way

well its a good guess anyway

According to Spector on the Puck Daddy chat, word is White to San Jose for $1 million. That leaves SJ with a bunch of D-men.

According to Spector on the Puck Daddy chat, word is White to San Jose for $1 million. That leaves SJ with a bunch of D-men.

Sharks are stacked on D. Good pick-up by them.

And they can just recycle unused Ian White jerseys. Very savvy for SJ!

Might be a tight fit for Colin, since he's 6'4" and Ian White is 5'10".

Edited by iamtheprodigy

Good for Colin. Happy that it's the Sharks. Yet another sign that San Jose is New Jersey West.

Wrong thread

Edited by DevilinLA

we've definitely gotten faster by shedding these older guys, looking forward to the new season

If white is on the sharks and i am at the first game theybplay the devils at home i will cheer for colin

we've definitely gotten faster by shedding these older guys, looking forward to the new season

What I dont understand is why Lou didnt buy out Salvador before White, I mean Salvador is gonna be 36 this winter, and he missed an entire season........I just dont see him playing for us this year.

What I dont understand is why Lou didnt buy out Salvador before White, I mean Salvador is gonna be 36 this winter, and he missed an entire season........I just dont see him playing for us this year.

You can't buyout an injured player, and Lou probably felt it was too arduous to go through the process of proving Sal's health, especially with something as unclear as a concussion.

Edited by RSC

You can't buyout an injured player, and Lou probably felt it was too arduous to go through the process of proving Sal's health, especially with something as unclear as a concussion.

you think Sal plays for us this season??

I wouldnt count him out just yet. Lou is looking forward to seeing him at camp.

It really doesn't matter. Lou couldn't buy him out if he wasn't cleared to play.

Look, Colin White was valuable to the Devils. Was he $3 million valuable to the Devils? No. However, I still find the move to put him on waivers just a little curious. Maybe I'm in denial but my gut tells me this wasn't an ownership/business decision to simply cut salary. Because if truth be told, from a ownership standpoint they're not saving a ton of money from buying out White and Hunter in the grand scheme of things. From a cap standpoint, however, there is a big difference between buying those guys out and not. And if you throw in the crazy Kovy contract, I have a hard time believing that ownership would be willing to fork over $100 million with no qualms and now are worried about nickels and dimes relating to saving 33-percent on basically two mid-to-low level expiring contracts. So the real questions for me are: Are the Devils planning a big move to grab a top-2 D man?; Are the Devils planning on spending a few million grabbing a combination of bargain depth talent of the likes of a Chris Drury or Bryan McCabe; Or are the Devils planning to head into the season with the same payroll, see what they have, see how their record is at the trade deadline and then maintain the ability to bust a significant signing if all things are going well? The other elephant in the room is: What is really going on with Parise? Does Parise really want to be here? He had said all of the right things lately. But should we believe that? I don't have a strong opinion either way quite honestly. The one-year deal is curious as well. It totally makes sense if both the team and Parise are on board to really take the next few months to hammer out a long-term deal or if ownership needs time to free up some cash. But if that's not the reality, then some big decisions are going to have to be made on both sides. So, in essence, the soap opera continues. After decades of uniformity in the offseason, the N.J. Devils are turning into the best reality show going ... at least lately.

And no matter what happens, I guess that's something.