Marty returns to his old mask

skeeter

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H3y sorry for t3lling th3 truth about Marty

Marty is nowhere near as bad as people try to make him out to be. Sure, he lets in bad goals sometimes. So do all goalies. Yeah, he's not the Marty of years ago, but his numbers stand near the top of the league every year. Not bad for a 39 year old.

Well, from what I can tell, the MB30 is still there. In fact, it's watermarked all over the graphics elements, including the red J on the top of the helmet. Better than having it be the focus of the helmet, but if one MB30 can bring bad luck, should we be cheering 50 miniature ones?

Great pads though, and the blocker is hilarious.

Edited by Amberite

Sorry to make fun of your boyfriend.

But he has not been all that good the past few seasons. Just being realistic.

No you're not. I have this little thing called stats which proves you wrong.

The first two seasons he wore the mask, in 108 appearances, he went 64-34-9 with a 2.28 GAA and a .916 save%. Pretty much in line with the rest of his career. He did get hurt that first season, but appeared in 77 games in the second.

Last season he struggled in the first half (.882 save% through 1/1), as did the entire team, but played quite well in the second half (as did much of the team, to be fair). He put up a .923 save% from 1/8 on.

So if you TRULY want to be realistic, as opposed to making up half-truths and myths based on you apparently having issues with Marty, he's had a weak half-season over the past few. The rest of the time he's pretty much done what he always has.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

No you're not. I have this little thing called stats which proves you wrong.

The first two seasons he wore the mask, in 108 appearances, he went 64-34-9 with a 2.28 GAA and a .916 save%. Pretty much in line with the rest of his career. He did get hurt that first season, but appeared in 77 games in the second.

Last season he struggled in the first half (.882 save% through 1/1), as did the entire team, but played quite well in the second half (as did much of the team, to be fair). He put up a .923 save% from 1/8 on.

So if you TRULY want to be realistic, as opposed to making up half-truths and myths based on you apparently having issues with Marty, he's had a weak half-season over the past few. The rest of the time he's pretty much done what he always has.

Those are fine and dandy but there is always the argument about him always playing on teams that do very well and will never know how he would do if he was on a team that is struggling. Oh yeah we do cause of the first half of last season.

Also you forgot to post his playoff stats from the last few seasons. How come Marty apologists seem to do that?

Those are fine and dandy but there is always the argument about him always playing on teams that do very well and will never know how he would do if he was on a team that is struggling. Oh yeah we do cause of the first half of last season.

Also you forgot to post his playoff stats from the last few seasons. How come Marty apologists seem to do that?

They're not fine and dandy...they're what he's done. With the exception of last season's first half, he's performed as expected.

C'mon, you're now going to base what he would've done on bad teams based on his performance in one half-season? That is not nearly a large enough sample size, but I would expect a Marty-basher to latch onto that as proof that Marty has been propped up by his teammates, that he just happened to be along for the ride all these years.

Your point on the playoffs stats is a fair one, so I've posted his last four playoff seasons here:

5-6, 2.44 GAA, .916

1-4, 3.19 GAA, .891

3-4, 2.39 GAA, .929

1-4, 3.01 GAA, .881

Clearly, it's been a mixed bag, can't argue that. I'm going to go ahead and guess you'll blame him for Game 7 against the 'Canes, but if you do that, you have to give him credit for Game 5 in that series as well.

My beef with your point is that you say Marty hasn't been good the past few seasons. I won't say he's been great (though he's had moments), but overall I'd say he's been good. When it came to the playoffs where his team was knocked out and his numbers weren't stellar, he was definitely part of the reason why they didn't perform better, but it's not like he was the SOLE reason as to why. He had plenty of help...let's face it, we've been seeing the Devils' three-step-slower-than-their-opponents-come-playoff-time hockey for years now.

They're not fine and dandy...they're what he's done. With the exception of last season's first half, he's performed as expected.

C'mon, you're now going to base what he would've done on bad teams based on his performance in one half-season? That is not nearly a large enough sample size, but I would expect a Marty-basher to latch onto that as proof that Marty has been propped up by his teammates, that he just happened to be along for the ride all these years.

Your point on the playoffs stats is a fair one, so I've posted his last four playoff seasons here:

5-6, 2.44 GAA, .916

1-4, 3.19 GAA, .891

3-4, 2.39 GAA, .929

1-4, 3.01 GAA, .881

Clearly, it's been a mixed bag, can't argue that. I'm going to go ahead and guess you'll blame him for Game 7 against the 'Canes, but if you do that, you have to give him credit for Game 5 in that series as well.

My beef with your point is that you say Marty hasn't been good the past few seasons. I won't say he's been great (though he's had moments), but overall I'd say he's been good. When it came to the playoffs where his team was knocked out and his numbers weren't stellar, he was definitely part of the reason why they didn't perform better, but it's not like he was the SOLE reason as to why. He had plenty of help...let's face it, we've been seeing the Devils' three-step-slower-than-their-opponents-come-playoff-time hockey for years now.

Fair enough but we will never know how he would have done on a team that was not an elite one as the Devils have for almost all of his career. We only have the first half of last year and why that may be too small of a sample size and he is getting very close to retirement, I feel it was a small sample of what could have happened. But again we will never know for sure. This is why Hasek many times have been cited as being better than Marty, as he played for many years on some Sabres teams that were less than stellar but always kept them competative.

And quite frankly I do blame him (along with White) for that last goal against Staal in 2009. He would have never let that in years ago and has clearly slipped.

I will NEVER understand why a Devils fan would go out of his way to make an argument against Martin Brodeur. It's like a fish making an argument against water.

I am not saying that Brodeur is not worthy of what he has achieved. I am just stating he was an elite goalie, and now on the decline for the past few seasons.

Best ever? Well that to me you can argue about but he is def up there I am not denying that. I just think he should have called it a day a season or 2 ago.

I am not saying that Brodeur is not worthy of what he has achieved. I am just stating he was an elite goalie, and now on the decline for the past few seasons.

Best ever? Well that to me you can argue about but he is def up there I am not denying that. I just think he should have called it a day a season or 2 ago.

In bold: you have no proof of this. I've already shown that you his numbers, outside of last year's first half, are on par with his career numbers. He was in net for 45 wins the year before last, and put up a GAA of 2.24 and a .916 save% that season. Yeah, he should've hung 'em up right there...what a fall from grace! You make sound it like he's embarrassing himself.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In bold: you have no proof of this. I've already shown that you his numbers, outside of last year's first half, are on par with his career numbers. He was in net for 45 wins the year before last, and put up a GAA of 2.24 and a .916 save% that season. Yeah, he should've hung 'em up right there...what a fall from grace! You make sound it like he's embarrassing himself.

Yeah, people really aren't gonna take it well when we have normal goaltending again. Everyone has stretches. NO ONE has had the consistency Brodeur has had. Additionally, he did all that with 2 lockouts, and a 3rd that may end his career.

Maybe it's only me, but it just doesn't seem right when Brodeur isn't in net. The year Clemmer stepped in felt weird, like the team I was watching wasn't really the Devils. I went to Marty's first game back, and the moment that familiar goalie took that familiar stride onto the ice, it felt like all was right in the universe again.

This is probably my last year to enjoy that. So, for me, I'm glad he didn't hang 'em up two years ago. I don't care if he isn't as elite as he was a few years ago. I'm just happy I still get to watch the greatest Devil of all time (sorry PK) and voice my appreciation at every game I attend.

Again, though, maybe it's just me.

Yeah, people really aren't gonna take it well when we have normal goaltending again. Everyone has stretches. NO ONE has had the consistency level of teams Brodeur has had in front of him. Additionally, he did all that with 2 lockouts, and a 3rd that may end his career.

FTFY

Maybe it's only me, but it just doesn't seem right when Brodeur isn't in net. The year Clemmer stepped in felt weird, like the team I was watching wasn't really the Devils. I went to Marty's first game back, and the moment that familiar goalie took that familiar stride onto the ice, it felt like all was right in the universe again.

This is probably my last year to enjoy that. So, for me, I'm glad he didn't hang 'em up two years ago. I don't care if he isn't as elite as he was a few years ago. I'm just happy I still get to watch the greatest Devil of all time (sorry PK) and voice my appreciation at every game I attend.

Again, though, maybe it's just me.

I think it was a weird feeling because we are used to seeing Marty play 70+ games a season. With his age his play has declined and it is more noticable in the playoffs. Many have suggested this is due to fatigue and I believe that at least is a pretty large factor in it. He really should not be playing more than 60 games a season but we have heard promises from both Lou and every single coach before that Marty will get less time and not see that happen.

We also did alright from what I remember when Clemmer was in net, so therefore this team is not as dependent on Brodeur as much as it used to be. He lost a bit of his value when the Brodeur trapezoid rule came to be and honestly I would like to remember him as a great and end on a decent note and not just stick around longer than he should be to the point where he is a looked upon as a libility, which is something I am afraid I am doing.