The Ultimate Devils Survey

devilsrule33

Here it is. The ultimate Devils survey with questions in random order to get us through the most boring hockey month of the year. Feel free to post stories and reasons for your answers and any clips where you feel is applicable. Don’t feel the need to answer all questions at once or at all and give as detailed answers. I probably should have done this installments, but what the heck. If you want to post videos, YouTube user Mckay4429061 has the most ridiculous collection here

All-time Favourite Player:

Martin Brodeur.

Favourite 4th Line Grinder/Enforcer/Goon:

Debated this one for a while, but I really enjoy Cam's first go around with the team. Every shift was all sorts of run. Rob Skrlac's story was pretty good, that made it high on the list.

Random Player that you Love(d):

Tommy Albelin. I went from hating this guy to loving this guy. The ultimate team player. A man who either bleeds read and black or is just crazy. Probably both. And that love for the organization has continued after retirement.

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Kevin Weekes

Greatest Game You Have Seen Live:

Brutal fact. I've never seen the Devils win a playoff game. I've seen them lose 5 or 6 playoff games to the Senators. But game 1 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Finals was the best game I have ever seen live. The atmosphere in the Corel Centre was insane. The Devils came back from a 2-0 deficit only to lose quickly in OT. But the overall experience was the best I've had at the game and made it the best game live.

Biggest Reaction to a Devils’ goal scored:

This can be positive or negative. The 2000 Cup run is one I'll always remember, and I think I went more crazy when Patty Elias scored the GWG in game 7 of the 2000 Finals than any Devils goal ever scored, including Arnott's OT Cup winner. The team had just badly underachieved from 1996-1999 and fell down 3-1 to the Flyers. All of that was erased with 1 goal.

Angriest/Upset You’ve ever been at the Team/Management:

Weird one here, but as I get older and after seeing a few Stanley Cup victories, I have become a lot more calm and taken everything in stride. But that wasn't the case in 1999. The Devils had just come off 3 terrible disappointing seasons; The first 3 seasons I was a big fan. 1996 missing the playoffs on the final day of the season and not being able to defend the cup. 1997 losing in 5 games to their arch rivals as Atlantic Division Champs. 1998 losing to the 8th seeded Senators in 6 games in the first round (double whammy is that I live in Ottawa). So here we are back in 1999 playing the Penguins in game 6 up 3-2. The story is Jagr playing with a bad groin injury that forced him to miss some games. Yet there is Jagr tying the game with just over 2 minutes left in the 3rd. Then in OT, Straka abuse Niedermayer and goes across to a wide open Jagr who puts it in the perfect spot under the bar. The series was tied and I just knew the Devils had no chance in game 7. Another division title...another conference championship down the drain. I lost it as bad as I ever had watching any sporting event. And can't imagine I will ever come close to being that angry/upset/emotional.

Regular Season Game You’ll Remember the Most:

A few options and it doesn't have to be because of anything that happened during the game when you pick. I think the final game of the 2006 season stands out the most. We all know the story. Devils have a disaster first half, Larry re-signs. Mogilny and McGillis get sent to the minors. Malahkov "retires". But in the second half, Elias returns and the team starts to soar with Lou behind the bench. I think they win 9 in a row in January, and had come into the final game of the season winners of their last 10. A win against Montreal and some help, and the Devils somehow win the Atlantic division. But the Devils find themselves down 3-1 with 10 minutes left. The great comeback looks a bit short. But Gionta scores his franchise record 48th goal of the season with under 9 to go. Then Elias ties it with 5 minutes left. And finally on a 3-on-1, Langenbrunner decides to hold it and score himself to give the Devils a lead with 2 minutes and change to go. A lead they would never relinquish, and the division was there.

Jame's GWG here

Favourite Highlight Reel Goal/Save/Hit:

I actually can't find my favourite goal, which was a ridiculous OT winning play by Elias/Sykora that had two Bruins' defensemen collide and fall down on an Elias/Sykora criss-cross move It defined the chemistry these two had for each other. I am sure it's in the Second Heaven video. So as a substitute, I'll go with this ridiculous play by Elias and Sykora that also shows what connection there was between these two guys. Bonus points for the stage it was done on. And because I can't find the original clip, I'll throw in another highlight, which is Brodeur robbing Lehtinen in game 5 of the 2000 Finals. Bonus points for Lehtinen's reaction.

By the way if you are looking to refresh your memory of great Devils plays throughout the year, click

and

Favourite Individual Devil's Skill You Enjoyed Watching:

This can be anything from a player's shot, to Madden's SHG ability, to Brodeur's glove hand or stick-handling. I'm going with Scott Gomez end-to-end rush ability. Even though he was one of the most frustrating Devils players to watch, nobody could create something out of nothing (sometimes for both teams) like Scott Gomez taking the puck behind the net from a defenseman and then generating a boatload of speed while weaving around helpless forwards until he got into the other team's zone From there it could always be dicey but when a goal was scored, it looked beautiful.

Gomez Goes Coast-to-Coast

Favourite Devils Fight:

So what if it wasn't the best fight, and so what if Big Jim suckered Domi. It needed to be done, and I enjoyed it the most.

Funniest/Miscellaneous Moment You'll Always Remember:

Two-way-tie! I think the first one will always stick with me. It was another Devils-Sens game that I'm at in Ottawa. One of the worst games I've ever seen. The Devils lose 6-0, but the low point comes on a Devils delayed PP, where Lyle Odelien throws the puck to nobody at the point, and it goes all the way down the ice for a goal. The last person to touch the puck for the Senators is Damian Rhodes who is credited for his first and only NHL goal.

Second one. Mike Rupp trash talking Paul Mara, and it all being caught clearly on TV. The best part is the announcer saying, "we wanna see if we can decipher this conversation." Cue Rupp letting Mara know what he thinks of him.

Favourite Individual Accomplishment:

This can be a career record, season record, or amazing game. Whatever comes to mind. I'm going with Marty Brodeur's all-time win record. What a night it was even though I never saw the game live. It didn't matter to me. What a career it has been.

Best Playoff Series:

Use any criteria that you like. But the 4-game beatdown of the Rangers in 2006 was just so much fun. The possibilities sure did seem endless after that win. The final win made it 15 in a row. Jagr was useless. The Devils scored amazing goals. They scored fluke goals. It was just as dominating of a series as you could imagine The Devils best players were dominant. Just great times.

My favourite moment had to be in game 2 when the Devils are down two men and the Rangers can't do sh!t. The crowd is going nuts with every clear. The Devils kill the 1st penalty and Madden comes streaking out of the box on a PP. Weekes makes the save, but Ozolinsh (for sdome reason I thought it was Rachunek) racing back accidentally puts the puck in his own net The building exploded and that entire sequence summed up the entire series for the Devils and Rangers.

Angriest You’ve ever Been at Another Team/Player:

Easily Tie Domi for one of the dirtiest plays in NHL history up there with Bertuzzi/Moore and Mcsorley/Brashear. Difference was there was no major injury, so it was all forgotten very quickly.

Greatest Individual Season from any Devils' Player:

So many good ones to pick from Niedermayer in 2004, Gionta in 2006 or Parise in 2009 But I'll go with Marty Brodeur's 2007-2008 season Sure he's had more wins, more shutouts, or a much better GAA before. But the 2007-2008 Devils team had no business making the playoffs let alone finishing with 99 points, good enough for 3rd most in the conference and a 4th place finish. Gone were Rafalski and Gomez. The season started with extended injuries to Langenbrunner and White. The Devils had a new coach who was implementing a system that was not a good match for the team at hand, and he really had no idea how to deal with NHL players let alone NHL veterans. There was no Stevens, no Niedermayer, no Daneyko, and as I said, no Rafalski. White missed 30 games. This left a defensive core of an unfinished product in Paul Martin, and a newcomer plucked out of obscurity in Mike Mottau who at 29, had not played in the NHL 5 years and only had 23 games under his belt. It also featured 75 games of Johnny Oduya, 59 games of Andy Greene, who certainly wasn't the Andy Greene of 2009-2010 or the one we know now, 69 games of Vitaly Vishnevski, who by the way was awful, 47 games of Karel Rachunek, ditto, and 44 games of Sheldon Brookbank.

Brodeur single-handily won so many games that year. It was the best I've seen him, and to anyone who says he was a product of the system and great defense in front of him, and couldn't put up great numbers otherwise...I say look at the 2007-2008 Devils season.

Player That Frustrated You the Most / Player You Always Thought Would be a Lot

Better:

David Clarkson in the past two years has frustrated me to know end...more so than any other player.

Biggest WTF Devils Transaction:

This can be good or bad. Probably getting Doug Gilmour. Was my favourite non-Devil at the time. It was before I posted on message boards and read any rumour sites (if they were there), or checked New Jersey papers. So this deal came as a complete surprise, and I could not have been happier.

One Trade/Signing/Player/Coach You Couldn’t be More Wrong About:

This could be happy/sad to be wrong about. I'll go with Lou's non-moves in 2003. There was that rumour about a Selanne deal with the Sharks that never came through. All that happened were deals for Marshall and Smehlik the days before the trade deadline and a deal for Pascal Rheaume on the deadline (I think I have the timeline right). That just didn't seem like much at the time. We had become used to giant deadline deals like Mogilny and Jamie/Joe. But it worked out real well. Marshall was fantastic during that whole run playing well beyond his skill level and Rheaume was an excellent depth forward.

Favourite Devils Reaction From a Game:

Again this can be from a goal, a save, a win, after a fight. Whatever. If I was a big fan in 1995, I'd probably say Mckay climbing the glass, but I wasn't so I won't, although I do love watching that. So many good things to choose from, but I'll go with Grant Marshall after scoring the triple OT goal against the Lightning in game 5 of the 2003 Finals to advance to the conference finals. It was obviously the biggest goal in Marshall's career, and his reaction was priceless, almost like he had no idea what to do. The reaction at 3:15 of the accompanying clip shows it perfectly.

Honourable mention goes to Jeff Friesen after scoring his second goal of game 7 to make it 3-0. It was the most cool and calm reaction to scoring a big goal that I have ever seen, He knew it was over and just skated down the ice with one hand in the air and one behind the back taking in the moment. So damn cool.

Favourite Quote from Any Member of the Devils’ Organization:

This one goes to Larry Robinson. We all know the situation very well. Larry was the ultimate player's coach, which is why the switch from Ftorek to the easy going Robinson was so good for the playoffs. Everything was going perfectly until things just went upside down The Devils, who had been dominating the Flyers for almost 5 straight periods, just fall apart and lose 3 straight to the Flyers to fall behind 3-1. Larry hates yelling. He doesn't like getting angry at the players at all. Who does really? But some coaches can easily do it Not Larry. But after game 4, he gave it to his players, which left the team completely shocked. He famously kicked a garbage can making it go flying. It was this suprising rant from the ever-calm Robinson that really started the comeback and was the key turning point for the entire 2000 Cup run. After the rant, he faced the media where he said this gem that will stick with many Devils fans forever: "Guys stuck to the game plan for two periods," Robinson said. "And then for some rhyme or reason they feel they know more than the coaches do and tried to play their game and we paid for it. Until they get it through their thick skulls that our way is the right way then we are going to struggle and we aren't going to have success. If the game was that easy they wouldn't need coaches. We'd just need players."

Fun fact: I heard Larry tell this story about 9 years after the 2000 Cup run. He was waiting outside the locker room thinking of what he was going to say As he steps into the locker room he sees this large garbage can and decides to show his anger he's going to kick it hard. The problem was that he thought it was empty when it was completely full. So after he kicks it he is really hurt, but had to hold in some excruciating pain so the players would really take in his rant instead of giggling over their coach wincing in pain like Peter from Family Guy.

Favourite Devils Broadcast Call (local, national, radio) (video or audio clip if you can):

This one is easy for me from the great Mike Miller: "3..2..and 1. And the oldest trophy competed for in North America...Lord's Stanley Cup has made its way to the Lincoln Tunnel, to the Meadowlands, to the Garden State. The New Jersey Devils are the 1995 Stanley Cup Champions!

Most Disappointing Playoff Series:

Sadly there have been so many of these, but I'll go with 2009 against the Canes. The team just looked so good throughout the year. Parise was leading the charge, they overcame Marty's injury, and the Canes somehow found away against a better team with some devastating wins, which leads me to...

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

I think that would be game 7 against the Canes. That one stung pretty badly, although I was way more angry for the game 4 loss, where they were scored on with .2 seconds left. That series was all full of suck.

Most Entertaining Game You’ve Seen:

Even though it was a loss, game 5 of the 2000 Cup Finals was the best game I have ever seen. Brodeur made some of the best saves of his career, and he made two of the best saves he ever made. But the Eagle was bombarded all night and played at the highest level you'll ever see with the Stars' season on the line. The Devils dominated the first OT with a flurry of chances over and over. It was wild knowing that the next goal was for the Cup. I'll always remember Gary Thorne yelling "Elias for the Cup" and "It hit the post. It hit the post." I still get goosebumps watching all the clips below. Like most playoff games, it is forgotten by the average fan, but it's simply the best game I have ever seen. Gary Thorne gets a lot of flack on these boards, but he was exceptional calling this game.

Proudest You’ve Ever Been of the Team:

A slight edge to the Devils beating a much better Senators team in the 2003 Conference Finals over the 2000 comeback series win over Philly. The Sens were the much better team in game 5 playing for their season at home with the playoff debut of Jason Spezza. They won a weird game 6 in New Jersey on a wacky Chris Phillips goal. It just seemed like it was Ottawa's time coming back to their arena. It really seemed like it was their time when Magnus Arvedsson scored right away putting the Corel Centre into a frenzy. But the Devils overcame all the obstacles with two Jamie Langenbrunner goals in the second Ottawa tied it early in the 3rd and had plenty of great chances to take the lead in the 3rd, but Brodeur came up large. With a few minutes left, Marshall to Friesen and the rest is history.

Your Defining Moment in Devils History:

I wasn't around for MacLean and wasn't much of a fan in 1995. So for me, it has to be Jason Arnott scoring an OT Stanley Cup winning goal.

Arnott's Cup Winning Goal

Edited by devilsrule33

Elias

Clarkson, his idiosyncrasices are funny to me and he does have heart, just not a brain :lol:

Rafalski

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Hedberg

The most flat exhausted I've ever been after a game was Game 5 against the Canes in '09 and that insane goaltending duel...but I was also at '03 Game 7, that's its own level of greatness even if I was flu-ridden that night :lol:

Most likely Arnott's OT winner. Especially since I was relaxed with the 3-0 lead in '95 and in 2003 I was sick as a dog during Game 7 :P

Probably the second half of last year and the first half of this year, I'd basically had enough of everything and everybody by December.

Brodeur/Elias/St. Patty's Day two years ago

Save - Brodeur had some sick double save on Lemieux and Jagr years ago within seconds of each other

Hit - Stevens/Lindros

Goal - Brodeur's playoff goal

Brodeur playing the puck, especially before the NHL basically decided to outlaw that skill :P

Favourite Devils Fight:

Cam and Leblond a couple years ago, partly cause it lasted a while and partly cause of the irony of it being Cam against his replacement

Colin White's penalty shot against Richter

I was at the Brodeur win record game...so it's a tie between that and Elias getting the team points record the same night :)

Best Playoff Series:

Devils-Sens from 2003...though I have to admit the '94 Conference Finals and '09 first round were both really good series too.

Avery and the Rangers when they yapped and bullied us into submission in 2008.

I'll say Brodeur in 2003...he's had better statistical years but he played 73 games that regular season, another 24 in the playoffs and had to be every bit as good as he was to help squeeze a Cup from that team, all while dealing with personal issues (granted, largely of his own doing).

Better:

Rolston - not only was he a dissapointment both times but he never did here what he did elsewhere (Minnesota and Boston) and that makes it doubly frustrating.

Kovy - both parts. I guess the contract surprised me more than the actual trade.

Maybe Hedberg cause I was at his first game and was jeering him pretty good lol, then again I figured he was just here to entice Kovy to come. Turned out he more than earned his keep.

Peluso crying for ten minutes on the bench and on the ice when the Devils won in '95, and Elias shedding tears during Stevens' retirement ceremony.

'They look like they lost their ability to play the game...even the plumbers, the good plumbers - they're tight too, they lost their confidence too' - Lemaire summing up the state of the 2011 Devils very accurately when they hit rock bottom, and the turnaround started soon after.

Favourite Devils Broadcast Call (local, national, radio) (video or audio clip if you can):

Doc's call of Brodeur's goal

2001 Stanley Cup Finals - for a series with those two teams and one that went seven games, the hockey itself wasn't as high-quality as you would have expected. Plus there was the matter of the Devils quitting in Game 6 at home.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game 7 2009...I was comatose the whole postgame and train ride home

Too many to choose from, especially if we're not specifying live vs. on TV...but clearly my favorite game is Game 7 of the ECF in 2003.

Definitely 2003, that team won it on heart even more than talent.

Winning in '95 and simaltenously keeping us in Jersey because of it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Patrik Elias

Cam Janssen

Dainius Zubrus

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Johan Hedberg

8-5 Devils over the Rangers from 2008.

I believe it was 2/20/07 at Continental... Devils/Rangers were 1-1 in the third and Parise scored the go ahead goal.

Last season. The team playing horribly really exemplified the areas where management and the team were really lacking and ignoring.

The 8-5 Ranger game again.

The save Brodeur made on Gagne in the playoffs from two seasons ago.

Watching the little things that Patrik Elias does still amazes me.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Leblond and Janssen.

That Devil Ranger game from 07 where Parise scored the winning goal... Avery vs. Brodeur really got underway then and it was hilarious.

Brodeur win record game definitely.

Best Playoff Series:

Devils/Senators from 2003.

I HATE the Flyers with all of my being.

Gionta from 2006 and Parise when he scored forty something.

Better:

Rolston when he came back... also Clarkson is frustrating. He can break out at any minute but will he?

The Kovy trade surprised me the most....

Rolston haha. I thought he was going to be a 30 goal scorer and a good center.

I can't pinpoint one... but the team has a lot more excitement and guys seem to be more emotional with Kovy around. He really adds a sense of pride and positive attitude to the team.

There's a laundry list of things that Lemaire has said.

There are so many Doc calls that were so fantastic. The Devils were playing the Flyers in Continental in 06 or 07... it was the year that the Devils had so many last minute game tying goals. NJ was down 3-2 and Martin shot one off the post then there was a scramble in front with 10 seconds to go and Gionta scored to tie the game. I went nuts because I was at the arena. I came home and saw the highlights and Doc completely lost his voice and sanity on that one haha.

Devils/Flyers from 2010

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game 7 2009. We sat in our seats with tears in our eyes basically until the ushers kicked us out.

8-5 Devil Ranger game... 6-5 Devil Sharks game from three seasons ago.

2003 when the Devils beat the Senators... that series was amazing.

1995 cup definitely. That's when the Devils announced that they were ready to be part of the elite in the NHL. Sure they missed the playoffs next year, but they bounced back haha.

Martin Brodeur

Would Have to say Cam Janssen, I just love watching him fight.

Mike Rupp

Favourite Backup Goalie:

:moose:

Well I Haven't seen a lot of games live because I'm not in New Jersey, but the best one would be the April Fool's game vs. The Flyers when Patrick Elias scored a Hat Trick and Moose played a fantastic game.

I would have to say the Kovalchuk OT goal vs. the penguins on march 4th 2011, Kovy and the devils we're on one hell of a streak, and I just went crazy when he scored that goal. :dance:

The first half for the 2010/2011 season. How could we have been this bad with a good group of player like this? In my opinion it's the coaching. Bad decision by the management. Let's hope Deboer has a good start.

Probably the game where Parise had a hat trick against the Habs a couple of years ago, or kovy's first game as a Devil against the Maple Leafs, it was a great comeback.

Save: Would have to be Marty's save against the Sharks a couple of seasons ago, I remember watching this game, and Marty just lifted his arm behind his head and got the puck with his glove. It was a great save.

Goal: Parise goal against colorado.

Parise's consitent hard work.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Cam Janssen vs. PL3

Devils vs. Rangers in the playoffs couple of years ago. "The Avery Rule"

Brodeurs 552nd victory against the blackhawks.

Best Playoff Series:

Devils vs. Ducks 2003

Sean Avery.

Parise 2008-2009 and Brodeur 2006-2007 48 Wins and 12 shutouts.

Better: Rolston for sure.

Kovalchuk trade.

Rolston, I thought he would be a 35 goal scorer, I was torally wrong.

"Status Quo" :giggle:

Every game Doc did.

Against the Hurricanes in '09 or against the flyers in '10.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game 7 against the hurricanes in '09, I mean, we had the game !!

8-5 Devils vs. Rangers game.

2nd Half this year, we made one of the biggest playoff runs of the history.

I'm going in here blind and not reading anybody else's answers until I'm done, so let's see how this goes.

Scott Stevens

Grant Marshall. His Triple OT goal in Round 2, Game 5 against Tampa in 2003 basically made my childhood. It was the latest I had ever stayed up, and from what I remember, the CAA went apesh!t. Plus, he's the nicest guy ever. Gotta lov it.

Claude Vilgrain. I don't think I was even alive while he was playing in a Devils uniform, but how can you not love someone whose nickname is "The Haitian Sensation?"

Favourite Backup Goalie:

A tie between Weekes and Clemmer. Weekes because he was a damn good solider for the team, and he's one of the nicest guys in hockey, which is saying something. Clemmer because a few seasons ago, I had tickets on the glass in the corner in Nashville. A pane of glass had broken, so Clemmer is just sort of skating around. I yell out "Clemmer!" when he's skating towards me, and seeing my Devils jersey, he smiled and winked at me. I thought that was awesome.

Probably the Triple OT Grant Marshall game, but Kovalchuk's debut is also up there.

When the Devils took the lead in Kovalchuk's debut game, I just went apesh!t.

When Gio walked. I know he got overpaid in Montreal, but being a short guy myself, I always was drawn to Gio. He was (and still is) an idol of mine, and it sucked to see him leave.

As I've said before, the KovalComeback.

Night night, Eric.

I just loved watching Gio's hustle everywhere. His heart is what hockey is all about.

Favourite Devils Fight:

The Pl3-Jannssen fight.

Holik's interview after hescored a goal in Anaheim off of his head. "Mottau can't hurt a fly with that shot." :lol:

Easily Marty's records.

Best Playoff Series:

2006 vs the Rangers, or the 2000 ECF where we came back down 3-1. I love bringing that one up to all of my friends at school who are Philly fans.

When Avery screened Brodeur in the playoffs, I fvcking lost it. I literally don't think I've screamed at a person on TV more than that in my whole life. I think I singlehandedly shook the foundation of my house.

For me, it's Gio's 48 goal season. He was my favorite Devils player at the time, and to see him break the single-season goal record for the team and almost hit 50 was a hell of an experience for me.

Better:

Rolston frustrated the sh!t out of me during his second go-around. He just never lived up to the contract.

At the time, Kovalchuk. It just wasn't a thing we did. Next thing you know, Denis Potvin is saying "Kovalchuk to Devils," Par is going six degrees of Kevin Bacon on all of us, and number 17 is a Devil for life.

I thought Johnny Mac was going to be the offensive solution for this team. Boy, was I wrong.

Again, Marshall in Triple OT. Classic.

"You're next." -Scott Stevens

At this point, anything with Doc, just because I know how much I'm going to miss him come October. We were so lucky for so long to have the greatest play-by-play man in the history of hockey, and easily one of the top 5 in sports history, calling our games on a nightly basis.

2009 vs. Carolina. I thought that team could go deep, I really did. And we were, we were on our way to the second round. I was in my living room alone and then...it happened.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

If I was old enough, it would be '94. But I wasn't, I was 2. So for me, it's Game 7 against Carolina in 2009. I was in my living room celebrating and then boom, tied. That's ok I thought, we'll win in overt-- boom. Canes win. I flipped a sh!t. Remember when I said I screamed at Avery? That was *nothing* compared to this. I turned furniture upside down, I screamed profanties for a solid 20 minutes, and nobody- my parents, my brother, my dogs- even tried to stop me. They knew how pissed I was. In retrospect, it's funny, but in a "if I don't laugh I'll cry" way.

I believe it was April of 2008, the final game of the regular season against the Rangers. We were locked into a playoff series with them, but the winner of this game got home ice. I got to the Rock with 3 friends at 9 AM so we could wait in the $10 ticket line. All in all, it was just a lot of fun to be at, yelling at Rangers fans, booing Gomez, making fun of Avery for that prostitution sh!t he had just been accused of. And we won in a shootout, which made it a perfect day. Too bad we didn't do sh!t in that playoff series.

2003. Enough said.

Seeing Ken Daneyko, the toothless, bearded wonder, lift Lord Stanley's Cup to end his amazing career as a Devil.

Ken Daneyko. Not the biggest in skill, but they didn't come any bigger in heart.

I became a fan in '94 and the lockout-shortened '95 season was the first full season I followed, so guys from that era will always be extra special for me. So while the Oliwas and Janssens of the team were awesome, no one will never top Mike Peluso in my book.

I became a big Paul Martin fan in his last couple years here. Rarely made a mistake, so patient, so willing to sacrifice his body and absorb punishment until a good pass option became available. I really appreciated what he brought here.

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Chris Terreri. He and his wife sat at my table for one of those Devils Fan Club dinners they used to do. He was great. I'll never forget this story he told, it went something like this:

"Some of the guys on the team like to go to Yankees games in the offseason. I went to one with Holik and we were sitting in the upper deck. This little kid in front of us goes, 'Daddy, Daddy! Look! It's Bobby Holik!' And the Dad goes, 'Son, if Bobby Holik was at this game, he'd have much better seats than that.'"

:lol:

552. Not even close.

I absolutely flipped sh!t when Marty scored in '97. I was 14 at the time, and I actually ran down the street screaming. It took a while for the neighbors to not look at me like I was a mental case after that.

The way the team quit on Lemaire two seasons ago really pissed me off. To hear him in press conferences saying things like "We tell them to do one thing and they do something else" really got to me. It was so unprofessional, so childish, so selfish. I'm really glad that the house has been getting cleaned since then.

Aside from 552, it'd be my first game. It was '95 and the Panthers were in town. Only had tickets because it was Cub Scout discount night. We sat way up high and I had no idea what was going on. I even remember there being a delayed penalty against Florida and screaming, completely befuddled, "GET BACK IN NET, BRODEUR! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" :doh1:

Anyway, the Devils crushed them 6-1 and they had me hook, line and sinker. Went from being someone who just liked seeing that New Jersey won on Sportscenter to watching, living and dying with every game.

This is tough. Off the top of my head:

Goal - Madden (or, really, Ozolinsh) capping that ridiculous 5-on-3 kill with that score was one of the best. The kill was such a build, and that goal was a totally perfect climax, like it was scripted or something.

Save - Can't find the clip, but I think it was in the game he broke Parent's single-season wins record. Marty Superman'ed across the crease and made a mid-air glove save. It was friggin incredible.

Hit - Stevens v Kozlov. As if the hit itself wasn't enough, the "You're next" taunts made it immortal.

There are so many. Niedermayer's wheels. Gomez's coast-to-coast. Stevens' physical dominance. Martin's patience. Holik's mean streak. Pepe's doucheness. Andreychuk's immovability. Janssen's crackhead psyche-ups and wear-'em-out fighting style against bigger guys. Almo's wristshot. The A-Line's intuition. Parise's deflections. Kovalchuk's and Gilmour's ability to turn a dead arena into pure electricity by simply touching the puck.

But the one I probably enjoy the most is Brodeur's fluidity. So many goalies are rigid and ... well ... boring. Marty is poetry in motion.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Can't pick just one. Janssen v Hollweg, Schwab v Soderstrom and Niedermayer v. Kamensky.

At that Devils/Lightning game I mentioned earlier, Schwab handed his stick to a young Devils fan after the warmups. I always thought that was cool, especially since he was playing for Tampa at the time.

Edit: Just realized I had mentioned that game earlier in the "Regular Season Game You Remember Most" category, but then went back and deleted it for something else. It was the game the Devils went down 3-1 heading into the 3rd only to win 6-3 thanks largely to a Rolston hat trick. Incredible game.

552. The fact that Patty got his record in the same game made the night even more incredible.

Best Playoff Series:

The first Cup Final against Detroit. Put New Jersey (and kept New Jersey) on the hockey map.

Domi's elbow to Niedermayer's head. Totally uncalled for.

It wasn't a full season, but when Elias came back from Hep A, he was the most unstoppable player I've ever seen in a Devils uniform. It's like he had a Game Genie plugged into him and all of his EA attributes were boosted to 99. Even hitting. Dude was crushing people when he came back. Unbelievable.

Better:

Viktor Kozlov. He had all the tools, but only used them when he felt like it. When he was on, he was awesome. Unfortunately, that was rare.

Esa Tikkanen.

I thought the Rolston signing was brilliant at the time.

Probably when Oduya pointed to the crest after being announced as a star of the game.

Holik saying Mottau's shot couldn't hurt a fly.

Jeez, we've had Doc Emrick and Mike Miller call our games. Picking any one call is way too tough.

2009 vs. Carolina.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

2009 vs. Carolina.

1994. Watching New York beat New Jersey on Sportscenter is what made me a Devils fan. Going to the game the next season made me a fanatic, but that '94 series planted the seed. Without it, I never woulda gone to that game.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Brian Rafalski

Favorite 4th Line Grinder/Enforcer/Goon:

PL3 for the tussle that he had with Cam that ended up being the longest fight. I was there for it and it was pretty awesome. Besides that moment, I cant think of any thing else that PL did for the team so I would say Cam would be the next step for me.

I am a strong advocate for Taormina. Last season I was rooting for Greene to get out of his slump.

Favorite Backup Goalie:

Moose but Clementine was a close second.

Back in January of 2009 the Devils played Pittsburgh. It was the first game that I brought my little cousin at the time was 7 I believe. It was hands down the best game I have ever been to. About 8 min into the third period the Devils were down 3-1. Shanahan got a PP goal to make it 3-2. Clemmensen left the ice and with 30 seconds to go in the third Langenbrunner tied the game up. Then half way through OT, Zajac fed the puck to Langs and he ripped it and won the game. It was an unbelievable game to be at.

The game above, when Langs tied it up with 30 seconds, I lost my sh!t.

I think back in the 2008 playoffs against the Hurricanes. Game 4 they seemed to give up and they lost with that crap goal that Marty lost his temper on and threw his stick into the boards and had a melt down. The whole team was just in scramble mode and look where that ended.

I was at the game that they honored Doc, which in fact was the greatest game I have been at in general when the Devils played Pittsburgh on Jan. 30th 2009. It was nice to see Doc get a little emotional. It was really special.

Tedenbys penalty shot goal. Enough Said.

I have really enjoyed watching Tedneby gain confidence this past season. I cant wait to see what he has instore for this season. I think he is going to have a bright future and hopefully it will be with our franchise for a long long time to come. I have also really enjoyed watching Elias's game. He is such a strong player and I dont think people give him enough credit for what he actually does.

Favourite Devils Fight:

PL3 vs. Cam.

Second one. Janssen yelling from the bench at Lundqvist. Thats just a classic.

Marty either jumping with joy with his goal or the simple look on his face when he was cutting the next after 552.

Best Playoff Series:

2003 against the Ducks. 7 Games and winning the cup. It doesnt get any better then that.

I think the biggest thing that comes to mind is Avrey messing with Marty all the time. I was also at the game when they got into their tussle and that was just unbelievable to be part of. I think every single person in the arena wanted a peice of Avery after that one.

Elias back in 2000-01. 96 points. He had a super super strong year all that season and was just shining in the playoffs. 23 points in the playoffs.

Better:

Bobby Holik coming back in 2009. I didnt understand why he was brought back and then he just didnt produce.

Kirk Muller being traded to the Habs for Stephane Richer.

When Gomez went to the Rangers, I was at the time upset that the fact that he wasnt still oging to be a Devil and I thought that was a mistake....boy was I wrong.

Arnotts cup winning goal in 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szYBqMq_6k

One game last season I was out back of the arena waiting for the players to come out and sign autographs. Rod Pelley came walking out and was signing a girls photo or whatever next to me and when he went to go reach for the marker someone slipped and it fell between her chest and everyone was silent staring at this marker when Rod said "Why dont you just go in there and grab it, I dont want to have my hand down your shirt." without his teeth in and we all started laughing.

Doc calling this game:

2009 against Carolina.

Video is above^^

There are many games that stand out in my mind but I think one of the more fun ones is on December 4th, 2009 against Tampa Bay.

I know it sounds cliche, but I am always proud of this franchise even when they drag us through the mud. However, last year when we had that remarkable streak....that was a damn proud time in my life as a fan.

My first game with my uncles back in 94. I dont remember many things from my childhood, but I sure as hell remember my first Devils game.

Edited by Quinn01

Martin Brodeur, Patrik Elias

Mike Peluso. Him crying as they won the 1st cup really showed how much it meant to him and everyone else.

Stephane Richer

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Chris Terreri. Ultimate back up. The back up so nice, Lou acquired him twice!

The 552 game, with Elias and Marty having huge moments. It was such a special time. It felt like that year was destiny at that point.

Brylin in Game 4 of the 95 finals. That went in, that building exploded, and you just knew the Cup was staying in Jersey that summer.

Management: When they had to play shorthanded the 3rd game last season. Seemed so unprofessional.

The team: When they gave up in the playoffs against the Flyers a couple of years ago, and seeing Langenbrunner with that stupid pout on his face for what seemed like the whole season.

It's 1996, the Devils are losing 3-1 to Tampa, and explode with 5 goals in the 3rd period, including a hat trick for either MacLean or Rolston, i can't remember. That one, and the comeback in Kovy's first game.

I'm gonna go... Steve Sullivan against Philly in 97...

Niedermayer end to end in game 2 of the 95 finals, along with Steven's hit in that game.

Marty's stick handling, Kovy's ability to turn on the jets, the Andreychuk sky-hook (he hit scoreboard a few times) and it wasn't a skill, but Odelein passing the puck back to Brodeur was always interesting.

Favourite Devils Fight:

All time favorite, Gory Corey Schwab DESTROYS Tommy Soderstrom.

Plus, 1992 Devils-Rangers bench clearing brawl. Devils-Rags 1992 Playoff Brawl

Honorable mention, Cam-Leblond, Cam-Hollweg, and

Brodeur when he got mic'd at the 96 All Star game. He was singing and stuff, and then Beezer asked said he thinks Hasek looks like Olive Oil. Also, Richer shooting through the net once. And Weekes going nuts on the bench when Asham knocked out Spiller

Marty's wins 552, Andreychuk scoring 500, even though most of them weren't with us, the weeks leading up to it were so fun and he went into a mini drought.

Best Playoff Series:

For entertainment value, vs Buffalo 94, vs Rangers 94, vs Philly 2000, Dallas 2000, Ottawa 03

For wooping some butt... Detroit 95, Rangers 06.

I guess Avery before he toned it down and became totally useless in the process. And Richter in 94 and 97, but that was more out of respect, haha.

Marty in 99-00. What a season. Gio in 06, and Elias monster 96 point season.

Better:

Rolston. And Langebrunner when he decided to get all pouty.

Definitely the Gilmour deal. So crazy, and Dave Ellett at the press conference, "Well, I felt I had been here long enough. I felt it was time for me to move on. I'm just glad they decided to throw Dougie in on the deal at the last minute."

Also, the Kovalchuk one. I was at a bar doing stand-up so my phone was in my bag. I get to it and there are tons of texts and messages from my Devil and Ranger friends. I read it and realize what happened, and a second later another comic comes in who is also a Devils fan. She looks at me, and at the exact same time we yell 'KOVALCHUK'!!

I was so upset when they traded Arnott and one of my favorite Devils, Randy McKay. That one worked out ok... :giggle:

McKay climbing the glass in 95, Marty scoring in 97, and in 2008-09 when Marty got hurt, the Devils were really struggling and so was Kevin Weekes. Poor guy couldn't buy a break, hadn't won in a year. They beat Tampa in a shoot out, and his reaction was just so great. The season really started to pick up after that. Weekes Shootout 11/5/08

Holik on Christmas music: "Music means nothing to me." And, on who he wants to win the Super Bowl, "I don't care, as long as it's a close game so no one talks to me."

"The Championship to New Jersey, the Devils win the Stanley Cup!!!"

"Nubbed by Broten, flipped Broten... SCORE!!!"

"And the Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars! The new millennium has it's first Stanley Cup champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils!"

1998 Ottawa. I mean, that was supposed to be a Cup run. They had 107 points. And they got DOMINATED by Ottawa.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game 7 in 1994. Ugh. Tied the game with 7 seconds left, sooo many near misses in overtime, and then it ended because Slava Fetisov couldn't clear the puck. And the Rags still act like it happened last Thursday.

The last 2 games in 2000. Crap on Marty all you want, say it was the system propping him up. And then watch some of the saves in those games.

Also, 2009 game 5. 1-0 win, 44 saves by Marty, Clarkson scores the only goal on a deflection.

And then any game against the Rags in 2006.

Beating Philly in 2000. They were done, absolutely done. Boucher was unbeatable. And somehow, they all rose to the occasion and won in seven. Stevens kills Lindros, Elias scores a huge one. So great.

Bar none, 1995. On paper, they were a group of no-names who had no business in the finals, let alone beating the mighty Red Wings led by Scotty Bowman. But that team showed up every night and all played together. That's not gonna happen anymore with caps and huge contracts. That's gotta be one of the biggest upsets in finals history.

Scott Niedermayer

Mike Peluso

Valeri Zelepukin

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Chris Terreri

Game 6, ECF, 2000. Devils erase a 3-1 series deficit to send it to game 7.

Patrik Elias, Game-winning goal in game 7 of the 2000 ECF.

Last season, when the news broke that we were stripped of a 1st/3rd round pick because of the first Kovy contract.

The team: Their gutless effort against the Flyers in Game 5 of the 2010 playoffs; opening round

It's 1996, the Devils are losing 3-1 to Tampa, and explode with 5 goals in the 3rd period, including a hat trick for either MacLean or Rolston, i can't remember. That one, and the comeback in Kovy's first game.

Goal: Niedermayer end to end vs. Detroit; 1995 SCF, game 2

Save: Too many to think of

Hit: Stevens on Lindros; 2000 ECF, game 7

Niedermayer's smooth skating/stick handling.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Corey Schwab vs Tommy Sodestrom

Tom Chorske's skating

Marty's shutout record

Best Playoff Series:

Devils vs. Rangers, 1994

Eric Staal 2006/2009

Marty in 2007

Better:

Langenbrunner's PMS stages

Devils forced to trade Claude Lemiuex in 1995

I did not like the Sykora for Friesen/Tverdovsky trade at the time. Turned out just fine.

Kovy exploding up the ice after his OT winner against the Pens last season.

Anything Holik said

The Championship to New Jersey, the Devils win the Stanley Cup. Doc, 1995

1999 vs. Penguins

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game 7, 1994; Rangers

8-5 win over the Rangers in 2008

1995; sweep of Detroit

1995 playoffs

Stevens

Cam

Zelepukin

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Clemmer

Game 7 2003

Arnott's Cup Winner. I jumped and hit my head on the ceiling.

The 3 M's.

Save - Cant recall just one at the moment

Hit - Stevens/Kariya

Goal - Friesen scores on Ottawa to seal it.

Niedermayer skating.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Cant recall a specific one atm.

Colin White's penalty shot against Richter

Right now its the wins record, I also like when Patty became all-time scoring leader.

Best Playoff Series:

The 3-1 comeback against Philly

Avery's BS in front of Marty's net.

Scott Stevens 2001

Better:

Johnny Oduya

The 3 M's.

Brent Sutter. Thought he was gonna be here for years.

Cant think of one.

'Dont worry about my cap." - Lou

Doc's call of Brodeur's goal

2001 Stanley Cup Finals for obvo reasons.

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Stephane Matteau

Game 7 2003

2001. While I wish they'd have won, I was glad we got back. Just a shame to lose that series. Glad we werent done yet.

Stevens destroying Fetisov.

Scott Stevens

Mike Peluso

Randy McKay

Favourite Backup Goalie:

Chris Terreri

St Patrik's day, Brodeur and Patrik set records in the same game against the Blackhawks in the first retro jersey game.

Clearly Arnott's SCF winning goal vs Dallas. I was in a Taxi coming back from a wedding cruise in Manhattan, watching the game on WABC-TV on a battery operated portable TV. Was NOT going to miss this game.

Rarely, do I ever disagree with Lou's moves, but this one move.....

Clarkson slamming Avery, then chasing him around the ice challenging him to a fight after hitting Brodeur. (Avery ran away). The sequence was so great the Don Cherry played it on HNIC.

Watching the little things that Patrik Elias does still amazes me as well.

Favourite Devils Fight:

Big Jim McKenzie exacting revenge on Domi after the cheap shot on Nieds in the playoffs.

Scott Stevens: "your next" comments

Brodeur win record game definitely.

Best Playoff Series:

Devils/Senators from 2003 or Devils/Toronto playoffs 1999

Avery getting away with murder without any payback.

Elias with 96 points in 2000-01, the closest any Devil has been to 100 points.

Better: Peter Vrana

The Kovy trade.

One Signing You Couldn’t be More Wrong About:

Re-Signing of Malakhov. Knew the system, played vital role in helping us win the cup, had the tools, played great the year before and just seemed a step behind everyone else post strike.

When he was a real hockey player: Scott Gomez always had a great Devils post game interview. When the game was still fun to him.

Lou: "You'd have to speak to ownership about that. This is a commitment ownership wanted to make to this type of player."

Game 7 vs PHILLY 2000. Elias as usual comes up big.

Losing to Carolina in the last seconds of playoff games. I suppress the year

Most Heartbreaking Loss:

Game #6 SCF vs Colorado at home, while being up in the series 3-2. Best Devils team ever, which failed to win the Cup.

St. Patrik's Day (Marty & Patrik record's)

2003 when the Devils beat the Senators... that series was amazing.

1995 cup definitely. Detroit was the heavy favorite and the Devils were supposed to get sweep by the Red Wings.

Peluso!!!

Edited by MantaRay

I think you're mis-remembering this... they were in their regular home reds for the record breaking night, a year later they beat the penguins in their retro jerseys.

You're correct...we've only had two retro jersey nights, the game against the Pens two years ago and the Caps last year. Retro nights have been on or close to St. Patrick's day though and 552 was also on St. Patrick's Day.

I think you're mis-remembering this... they were in their regular home reds for the record breaking night, a year later they beat the penguins in their retro jerseys.

I stand corrected. Maybe I put too much emphasis on St. Patrik wearing the Green Bowler after the game.

Holy hell am I going to miss Doc calling our games... All of these damn memories everyone's posting, and nearly all are of his calls.

Manta's post brings this up for me, and maybe I should bring it up in a different thread, but: would anyone else not mind hearing Steve Leavy calling our games next year rater than DJ Smurf?

Holy hell am I going to miss Doc calling our games... All of these damn memories everyone's posting, and nearly all are of his calls.

Manta's post brings this up for me, and maybe I should bring it up in a different thread, but: would anyone else not mind hearing Steve Leavy calling our games next year rater than DJ Smurf?

I would love Steve Levy calling our games. No one is Doc, but Levy is a passionate, knowledgable, hockey fan which is always welcomed.

I would love Steve Levy calling our games. No one is Doc, but Levy is a passionate, knowledgable, hockey fan which is always welcomed.

Random memory:

The Devils had a one-goal lead on the Rangers back in the clutch-and-grab CAA days and ESPN was covering the game. Saw Steve Levy in the bathroom during the 1st intermission and overheard a fan ask him what he thought of the game. Levy's response was something like, "The Devils have the lead. This game's over." :lol:

Random memory:

The Devils had a one-goal lead on the Rangers back in the clutch-and-grab CAA days and ESPN was covering the game. Saw Steve Levy in the bathroom during the 1st intermission and overheard a fan ask him what he thought of the game. Levy's response was something like, "The Devils have the lead. This game's over." :lol:

True.

Edited by MantaRay