Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devilsfan118

A question that's been bugging me for a while..

18 posts in this topic

So, semi-random question here:

I've noticed for the past few years (at least) that there seems to be someone whistling as every Devils power play winds down. As in, someone is whistling to let the players on the ice know that the power play is about to end and the opponent player is about to step out of the box.

Who is the whistler?? Is it a player?

As an example:

@1:33 into that video, you can hear it right before Kovalchuk blasts home the pass from Larsson

Edited by Devilsfan118
1 person likes this

Can be a coach or player, but it's most likely one of the coaches. A goaltender will prefer to tap his stick on the ice to alert his players of the time.

Who is the whistler??

It's Marty. He's been doing that since 1995 instead of slamming his stick to countdown the final 5 seconds.

If that's true, Marty has a second career lined up as the whistler on live versions of Young Folks by Peter Bjorn & John. That's some sharp whistlin' right there.

Ive always wondered this myself. Damn thats a loud whistle from under a mask.

If that's true, Marty has a second career lined up as the whistler on live versions of Young Folks by Peter Bjorn & John. That's some sharp whistlin' right there.

:rofl:

Learn something new every day.

Now to get him to lead the "Rangers Suck!" chant...

Learn something new every day.

Now to get him to lead the "Rangers Suck!" chant...

you know i'm a big proponent of NOT doing the chant when we aren't playing the Rangers, but, seriously, if Marty were to do this during a Devils Rangers game I would just die laughing!

So wait, he literally flips up his mask and whistles during the game? Or is he one of those very skilled people who can whistle loudly without their fingers.. I've never even noticed this, but I'll be looking tonight because we all know there will be tons of penalties

So wait, he literally flips up his mask and whistles during the game? Or is he one of those very skilled people who can whistle loudly without their fingers.. I've never even noticed this, but I'll be looking tonight because we all know there will be tons of penalties

He just does whistles without his fingers, doesn't have to life his mask up or anything. You can even hear it on tv all the time too.

He just does whistles without his fingers, doesn't have to life his mask up or anything. You can even hear it on tv all the time too.

That's insane haha.. I want to learn how to do that

Haha, I always curious about this too. Always figured it was a coach. That's an impressive whistle from across the ice under a mask.

At the end of every power play when I hear it either at home or at a game I say "Marty's whistling" I've been doing it for years. Unfortunately I hear the whistle too much! I'd rather be yelling "HEY". :(

Why did it take all the way until the end of his career for this to become a known fact? Either way it's awesome.