Broduer V. Theodore

redruM

SO how many of you still wish the DEVS had Theodore instead of Broduer???

Looks like last year might hae been the exception to the rule....

wonder how the Anti-Marty crew will spin this one!!! We all know thew Jose was supposed to be the next ROY if you listened to some of you here!!!

Neither is having a good season to date.

AS OF THE CLOSE OF THE WEDNESDAY 10/23 GAMES:

Marty has 4 wins out of 5 games yet isn't amoung the top 11 GAA goalies to date and he isn't amoung the top 12 Save percentage goalies. Patrick Roy is in both #7 and #6 not bad for an aging goalie.

As a matter of fact the Devils team has 4 of 5 wins and yet doesn't have any player mentioned in the total to date POINTS, GOALS, ASSISTS, EFFICIENCY, PLUS/MINUS, SHOTS on GOAL, SHOOTING PERCENTAGE, & POWER PLAY POINTS.

Thery do have on player mentioned, he is Number 10 is PENALTY MINUTES with 26 minutes the top players has 39 minutes, GUESS WHO?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

It's Scott Gomez.

SwedeDevilFan, was I bitching about Marty? I stated a fact re: Marty and Theodore and some stats to date about goalies. I mentioned Roy because so many here don't like him because he beat the Devils.

If you are proud of the way the Devils won the 4 out of 5 games and think that they did well against strong contenders -- good for you.

The question was would you still wish for Theodore now vs Marty and neither is doing well so I said. And I supported that statement with stats which are facts.

Roy is still doing well if you are interested.

Get real GetReal, what more must Marty do for you? A shot-out each and every game?  

On that note, is it just me or does Marty lose more shut out bids in the last 2 minutes of games than anyone? Two already this year.

Just for the record, I am neither a Martin basher nor Fanboy. My take is he is an above average goalie, who is more than capable of providing the backstopping the Devils need to win Cups. He is not however, in my opinion, the elite goalie, his record suggests.

Just my .02

Chris

Yes, he also saved the first 24 shots of the game on wednesday, and he lost the shutout during a 6 on 4. He's so horrible. :rolleyes:

I prefer to wonder why the Devils defense gives up so many shots and great offensive chances late in the game. Is it just me or does it seem like every 3rd period at about 17:00 the other team starts peppering Marty nonstop?

Really I can't understand why people get on his case so much. He had a bad year last year (But kept his % over .900) and this year he has a .927

Theodore, on the other hand, looks like he couldn'd stop a beach ball.

Yes, he also saved the first 24 shots of the game on wednesday, and he lost the shutout during a 6 on 4. He's so horrible.

Yes it was 6 on 4, but the question wasn't specifically about losing the shut out Weds. night, I was talking in general. Only an observation, but to me it seems he misses out on an awful lot of shut out bids in the final two minutes, maybe it is the team in front of him, or maybe he loses focus thinking he has it in hand. Whatever it was only an observation, but I did miss the part where I even inferred he was horrible.

As to Theodore..... I remember reading an article after last season that compared his GAA, and save percentages, against teams with losing records, and winning records. Essentially he had great numbers against the losing teams, but DREADFULL ones against the better teams. I will try and find the article, but I am not so sure if he is the real deal, or not.

Chris

Chris you are absolutely right, If I remember correcxtly like all of his wins exceot 5 came against sub500 teams, while his record against playoggs teams was like .333

Theodore is a very good goalie but one season does not put him in the elite group...that was my only point...

Theodore was absolutely peppered by the Flyers last night. I watched the game, and not only is the Habs defense ineffective, the Habs offense is also incapable of keeping the puck in the Flyers' end. The Habs goals last night were both as a result of Ceckmanek, not of their own offensive gifts.. Czerkawski and Audette took the night off.

Theodore's numbers are awful this year, but without that motivating factor the Canadiens had last season, Therrien will be fired by the end of the year and this team will miss the playoffs. They just are not a good team.

But, Theodore's not the world-saving goalie either. He's probably going to be a top 5 goalie, but if this keeps up, we might see another Jim Carey case..

Yes it was 6 on 4, but the question wasn't specifically about losing the shut out Weds. night, I was talking in general. Only an observation, but to me it seems he misses out on an awful lot of shut out bids in the final two minutes, maybe it is the team in front of him, or maybe he loses focus thinking he has it in hand. Whatever it was only an observation, but I did miss the part where I even inferred he was horrible.

Sorry, I shouldn't have implied you said he was horrible. But I constantly see references to the idea that Marty is overrated and not that great despite the fact that I think he has the numbers, and acheivements to prove otherwise.

One more thing, it's very surprising to me that with the increased goal scoring in the league, a 1.80 GAA gives Marty #12 in the league in that stat. Where can you find the league leaders?

I haven't had a chance to see all the Habs games, but last year Theodore was saving Montreal's ass so one can assume he is NOT performing as well this year regardless of his defense (since it's safe to say his d wasn't anything great last season either). I don't think he's a Jim Carrey flash in the pan but I'm not quite convinced he's as good as Brodeur until he puts up several very respectable seasons one after the other.

One thing to keep in mind with Theodore is he won the #1 job last year due to Hackett's injury. So, he never really was the clearcut #1 by choice. He got pushed into the role and had a great final 3 months.

Montreal might be regretting giving him what they did now.

I also have heard MaddDog say that last year's shocking finish to the Carolina team might be affecting him. The Canes blistered him to win that series after he was inpenetrable early on.

I also don't think the Montreal coach Michel Therrien is handling the goaltending well.

Here's an article from The Montreal Gazette on Theodore's and the Habs' early season struggles. He's not starting tonight against Ottawa either.

Goalie controversy???

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sports/team...8-71A80F92C89A}

Theo's stellar season a tough act to follow

Habs goaltender needs to stop pressing. 'What you have to remember is that this happens to all the great ones,' Melanson says

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Saturday, October 26, 2002

ADVERTISEMENT

Canadiens goaltender Jos