Good zinger by Whitey

Z-Man

Doh!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Some people won't be happy with Whitey's comments.

END SPOILER

People have a right to take whatever he says at face value. He wouldn't be the first or last player that has made that sort of comment after leaving this team. I'd have to say that some of the welcome he might have gotten and deserved otherwise might be diluted now if enough people read it and take it wrong.

This is an area that hockey is overshadowed by other sports with larger followings and media coverage, not to mention hockey's "place" in the big picture here. Rex Ryan's weight and Eli Manning's hangnail is more back page fodder then a big Devils win. The Rangers suffer from this to an extent as well. Some players just don't seem to understand that and when they go to "hotbeds" or places with not alot other to follow otherwise, they act all surprised. Maybe they and we should expect more out of this area, the largest in the country, but it is what it is.

The Sharks players should be ass kissing their fans, after the choke-fests they put them through each playoff.

Edited by SJP20

I didn't read it that way at all. He was basically saying he was surprised hockey was that big in California.

that's kind of how I took it. i didn't take it as a swip[ at the Devs, their fans, or anything else. More surprise that sunny California likes what is essentially THE winter sport.

I am almost positive that wasn't meant as a slight. I think he was genuinely surprised how big the fanbase is there. It isn't like he has made that many trips over there during the year.

Secondly, is it shocking if players like being the hottest ticket in town or play in a place where it is sold out every night compared to 4000 empty seats a night. No. And White doesn't have a beef with the fans anyway.

If John Madden said after the 2010 Cup win that, "this is incredible, the best celebration I have ever been a part of. Would that be a slight? Or that he thinks 2 million people coming out is cooler than 25,000." Isn't that what Rafalski said, and he got killed here.

This is a non-story and not a shot at anyone.

I spend a lot of time in the bay area. Sharks are very popular, they are the only hockey team in the bay area (includes San Francisco and Oakland) and the only sports team in San Jose (a large city, according to wikipedia the 10th most populous in the U.S.). And of course they've put out a great team for almost 10 years now. Their arena is smaller and easier to fill, but still it's been a great hockey crowd every time I've gone to a game.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

it is infinitely better fan base just for the fact that neil young supports them and devilsfansinla doesn't like them.

For the record, I have no issue with SJ, nor ever had.

They have the support because they are the only team in town and have had some regular season success for the past 8 years or so.

Plus they are not hesitant with spending $$$ in payroll.

..... so glad you've come back here to offer us your lower case, one-liner, wisdom topped off with a side of political stereotyping

I don't think it was a slight so I am not upset.

But then again I never though much of him.

Seems like he is happy and I am happy he is off the team so everyone is happy:)

This.

Wasn't really a slight, im happy he isn't here anymore, and he's happy in his new place. Absolute win-win in my mind

For the record, I have no issue with SJ, nor ever had.

They have the support because they are the only team in town and have had some regular season success for the past 8 years or so.

Plus they are not hesitant with spending $$$ in payroll.

..... so glad you've come back here to offer us your lower case, one-liner, wisdom topped off with a side of political stereotyping

political stereotyping was in the other thread bruv.