Merril to OHL?

Devs4LIFE

My link

Whatever the reason, sophomore defenseman Jon Merrill did not attend the No. 1 Michigan hockey team’s practice on Friday, but he did attend a Plymouth Whalers game, according to several unconfirmed reports. Plymouth owns Merrill’s OHL rights, and Michigan coach Red Berenson acknowledged that Merrill leaving Michigan is a possibility.

The more this whole thing drags on the more I get the feeling that we'll never see him in black and red.

Edit: It appears he won't be leaving the NCAA.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

My link

The more this whole thing drags on the more I get the feeling that we'll never see him in black and red.

Yeah he's really going downhill.. I mean NCAA to OHL? Who the hell ever came out of the OHL and was even a half decent AHL player? The OHL is a black hole for talent..

I think you're reading into this a little too much

Edited by Colin226

Maybe Merrill could consult an agent about the wisdom of this, seems like a pretty big career move - oh wait, due to the NCAA's need to maintain the charade of 'amateur' sports, he can't.

Merrill would still be NJ property until 2014 if he did this.

Edited by Triumph

Yeah he's really going downhill.. I mean NCAA to OHL? Who the hell ever came out of the OHL and was even a half decent AHL player? The OHL is a black hole for talent..

I think you're reading into this a little too much

Except him going to the OHL basically is him running away from his issues, something Lou will frown on.

What I meant was the more this drags on the more I feel like the kid has an attitude. I wasn't saying that going from NCAA to OHL was bad for his development I was just saying if he really does have an attitude problem then he'll probably be traded.

i agree it might be a cause for concern that he has "issues" but i think what matters most is how an issue translates on the ice and with the team...for instance dano had some "issues" that wouldnt have gone over with a college coach so well but lou never traded him quite the opposite

What I meant was the more this drags on the more I feel like the kid has an attitude. I wasn't saying that going from NCAA to OHL was bad for his development I was just saying if he really does have an attitude problem then he'll probably be traded.

the thing is... we got this kid because of those attitude problem... he would have never made it to the 2nd round if he would have been an angel

Except him going to the OHL basically is him running away from his issues, something Lou will frown on.

What are his issues? Are you his therapist? I haven't read anything saying what he did.. For all I know, he farted in class and got suspended for it.. It's also awfully presumptuous to say what Lou is feeling, in any situation.. Yes, he traded Cormier, but Cormier was a good prospect and helped us get Kovy.. No one will ever know if he was traded because of his shenanigans or not

Edited by Colin226

Not necessarily true. Once you get on the wrong side of Red Berenson, it is probably best to part ways and go somewhere else. It's unfortunate that this is the case, but for his own development, it is time to move on.

Edited by devilsrule33

Piecing together all the information I would say he got caught drinking and missed practices. He was suspended for team policy.

This is also what I was expecting. Probably just broke a school rule or something that has very little to do with his attitude as a hockey player...not to put too much of a positive spin on things, just saying.

What are his issues? Are you his therapist? I haven't read anything saying what he did.. For all I know, he farted in class and got suspended for it.. It's also awfully presumptuous to say what Lou is feeling, in any situation.. Yes, he traded Cormier, but Cormier was a good prospect and helped us get Kovy.. No one will ever know if he was traded because of his shenanigans or not

Guess we could spin away the first episode that got him in trouble in the past too. Maybe he sharted that time he was wrongly accussed of "harassing" those whores who were obviously asking for it right??

Poor guy just always has gas nothing more nothing less.

Guess we could spin away the first episode that got him in trouble in the past too. Maybe he sharted that time he was wrongly accussed of "harassing" those whores who were obviously asking for it right??

Poor guy just always has gas nothing more nothing less.

lol, there's no way he got suspended 12 games for something benign like 'farting in class', even from a curmudgeon like Berenson. And like you said he's more or less a repeat offender (that's why we got a first-round talent in the second round, after all), or at least he hasn't exactly been an angel up to this point so I'm less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt than I would be if this was a first offense.

Plus it's not like he decided to go to juniors over college. He took college and then ran away from it when he got in trouble.

We know Lou didn't trade Cormier because of any of his actions because he said so many times. He even called Cormier to tell him that none of his past actions had anything to do with the deal. As far as I remember, Lou wanted to throw in Palmeiri as the prospect but Waddell would not budge unless it was Cormier. Only way the deal was getting done. And Lou made it very clear on multiple news outlets, going into more detail than he ever has with a deal.

Edited by devilsrule33

On that topic, it wouldn't surprise me if New Jersey reacquired Cormier with a new GM in Winnipeg. Cormier apparently played well enough to make the team but when they claimed MacLean he was sent down. The last GM liked Cormier, it doesn't mean this GM does.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac