Merril to OHL?

Devs4LIFE

Is it too far fetched to think Merrill will serve his suspension and then go to the Whalers? That way he deals with the consequences of his actions but then he makes up for the games he missed by playing a longer schedule somewhere else.

I think that's a fairly reasonable scenario for everyone involved.

you follow this stuff closely...do you think merrill will be better off playing in the ohl for development purposes anyway

To be honest I just get to follow these guys statistically and see a few highlights here and there. I'm also fairly new compared to a lot of people in following NCAA and junior hockey, but I'm doing the best I can to learn. Jas0nMacIsaac could probably answer this question the best.

With that said, I hope Merrill ends up in Plymouth. Missing 12 games of the NCAA season is like missing a quarter of the year. The fact he hasn't been allowed back at practice is really discouraging. Even if he waited to serve his suspension at Michigan he could still end up getting a ton of games in at Plymouth so his development shouldn't be hurt. I know a lot of people consider the OHL superior to the NCAA anyway. I also look at it as another way for Merrill to get a different experience after having a very successful year in the college. Plus it would be awesome to see him and Wedgewood play together for a year.

With everything going on and his attendance at the Plymouth game on October 14 there seems to be a lot of smoke. I imagine a new update should come soon.

I'm not as familiar with this source as the last one I posted so take this however you want...

http://twitter.com/#!/HockeyProspect/status/127997043376537601

"FWIW, been told that Jon Merrill is staying at U of M and will not be signing with Plymouth."

I guess on the brightside he's at least already completed 8 out of the 12 games of his suspension. Hopefully he gets allowed back into practice soon.

Here is some information from a reporter who follows Michigan.

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=41&mid=148912242&sid=883&tid=148912242&style=1

Expected to rejoin the team, eventually. Plymouth isn't actively trying to sign him because the kid has expressed his desire to return to U-M. That said, he has still not been cleared to practice. Think there is a decent chance we don't see him until after Christmas.

His suspension wouldn't allow him to play until the November 11 Michigan vs. Miami game. Sounding like he may not even make that date with him not being allowed back at practice yet. Michigan has just 16 regular season games after Christmas. Then they have the CCHA and NCAA tournaments.