Sykora sits out penalty for Elias...

Biggie B

It's classless and warrants a suspension for both Sykora and Elias unfortunately. Also, blame should be on the ref and crew for missing something like this.

Overall, this is something I never want to see or read about it, and I am quite embarrassed its from the Devils.

It's classless and warrants a suspension for both Sykora and Elias unfortunately. Also, blame should be on the ref and crew for missing something like this.

Overall, this is something I never want to see or read about it, and I am quite embarrassed its from the Devils.

Elias admitted to nothing and there were multiple players there so it could have been an honest mistake from his end. Sykora did admit to it, but it's really the ref's responsibility to catch that. The ref was too interested in doing the hurry-up faceoff to listen to the Penguin bench try to alert him to it. Certainly Syk should get a fine but if you start suspending guys for this, then you have to suspend them retroactively for diving, goading guys into dropping the gloves, etc.

You and I seem to be in the minority on the latter sentence...but we'll pay for it, one way or another the next few weeks.

Refs make this mistake routinely (calling the wrong guy). If a ref calls it on a guy less valuable, you just 'do the time'.

But in this case Sykora intentionally made this worse & the Devils ultimately will pay. Agreed, low class move by Sykora.

uhh...classless? I think not! This is being a team player and the epitome of 'taking one for the team'

embarrassed by this? why?

Besides not like the Penguins wouldn't pull something like this if they had a chance. As far as warranting a suspension? If the league wants to be that severe about a minor thing like that with the REFS, fine. With the players, NO, it was the REFS fault for not catching it. In the end the officiating crew is responsible for the 'integrity' of things. You know teams looking for an edge are gonna try stuff like this to test the waters. Wouldn't expect the Devils, but hey, do what you gotta do...

What another team would do or wouldn't do is irrelevent.

If Sykora intentionally pulled one on the refs (which it appears he did), it is certainly not very sportsmanlike. This isn't a beer league, this is the NHL and the players shouldn't be trying to fool the refs. This franchise has enough conflict with the refs to have the refs be wary even more.

Bottom line: Sykora cheated, intentionally. Not sure about Elias but Sykora did. If the league does nothing, if I was in Lou's place I would suspend Petr a game or two. The refs have a hard enough time calling penalties as it is without adding a degree of distrust with the players.

uhh...classless? I think not! This is being a team player and the epitome of 'taking one for the team'

embarrassed by this? why?

Taking one for the team is different... that's putting yourself in a fight you can't possibily win... or to take a tripping penalty to prevent a sniper from getting a clean break on goal. Not outright cheating.

Let's say if Avery was still on the Rags, and he sneaks into the box instead of Gaborik? Then Gaborik scores a shortie on us... You're fine with this and give Avery props for helping his team? When I see a player dive, I get upset with the character of the player. When I see this... I'm just outright embarassed.

Maybe I'll give a pass to Elias if he thought the refs nabbed Sykora for his penalty (which happens). But if they both willingly tricked the refs... they both should be suspended - by the league or the team. This is also something the guy in the box needs to be held accountable for. If a penalty is called on 26, make sure you have 26 in the box before you sign off on it.

Oh please, don't over-react.

With the bullsh!t calls the refs were making that night in favor of bettman's bitchboys, I don't see how you can think this was all that bad. Made zero impact on the game anyway.

Thats not the point everyone is making. The point is that it was wrong. Whether it was done intentionally or not, it was wrong. Even if the score was turned around and lets say Staal got a penalty and then someone else sat it out for him and he scored, we would all be sitting here bitching about how the fvck the refs didnt catch it and how that is wrong and the team better be fined or something.

We are a classier team then to pull sh!t like that. Again, we dont know if it was done on purpose or not, but I as well would like to not see it attempted again.

We are a classier team then to pull sh!t like that. Again, we dont know if it was done on purpose or not, but I as well would like to not see it attempted again.

If it was a mistake, it's a mistake and I'm fine with it on the players side... refs are a different story. But Sykora already came out and said he did it on purpose.

Edited by aylbert

If it was a mistake, it's a mistake and I'm fine with it on the players side... refs are a different story. But Sykora already came out and said he did it on purpose.

True. Mistakes happen. I wouldnt see Elias making that choice but who knows. I can see attempting to pull this crap if its a really important game or something but this early in the season for an ultimately meaningless game? Its stupid. It seems to me that Sykie was doing this to show the rest of the team he is willing to take a bullet for them.

Its hard for me to believe though at the same time that Sykora knew and no one else did? Not a single player said wait from the Devils?! Its true that it was harmless but like I said if it was the other way around and we were still winning that game we would all be pissed off. For now, we should let it go but it really shouldnt happen again. Thats just risking your luck.

It's on the referees to do their jobs correctly. It's little more than gamesmanship on Sykora's part - you think a lesser player wouldn't sit out a penalty for Ovechkin or Crosby or Stamkos if given the chance? If the referees were any good at their job and confident in their calls, this isn't an issue.

It's a chess game, Sykora just took advantage of the confusion and the fact that the referees couldn't handle their jobs. It might not have been the most stand-up thing to do, but talking of fining or suspending him is kind of ridiculous.

It might not have been the most stand-up thing to do, but talking of fining or suspending him is kind of ridiculous.

If he kept quiet about it and just held to a line of "I thought it was my penalty"; I'd at least wronfully feel better about it... but in the end, his honesty about his dishonesty seems more dishonest than just being dishonest in the first place...if that makes sense.

If you're going to cheat, don't rub it in after the fact. But it's not like I want them to cheat either. I'm also the kid who corrected the count/score/etc against my favor if that's how it was. Win or lose, I want it to be on fair terms.

You guys really care? Suspensions? Are you fvcking kidding me? Who the hell cares. Sykora helped the team and I am glad he did. No one got hurt and we got a goal out of it. Anyone who cries for a suspension is seriously out of their mind and needs to quit being such a pansy. If ANYTHING I would expect this sh!t from pens fans, not our so called own fans. Unbelievable. Suspensions should be reserved for a player cheapshotting another player, not because the ref didn't realize the wrong player went to the box.

Edited by hurricane1091

You guys really care? Suspensions? Are you fvcking kidding me? Who the hell cares. Sykora helped the team and I am glad he did. No one got hurt and we got a goal out of it. Anyone who cries for a suspension is seriously out of their mind and needs to quit being such a pansy.

I think I'm the only one calling for a suspension, if not from the league, from the team. How can you say the Devs got a goal and no one got hurt? If the Devs rallied because of that I'm sure there's a lot more outrage.

I'm sorry, I missed the memo I'm suppose to ignore integrity and sportmanship and support the Devils even when they cheat.

Yeah -- I felt the same way initially ayl -- but then again Sykora was there in the moment and may have had a better idea the best tack to take, you know? He also may have been following orders. In thinking about it, I've begun to like what it says. It's a ballsy youthful team - while keeping the ego and entitlement at bay. It's got that air I just love of pure confidence and very little boastful ego - just straight up we're here to win.

I feel like Syk effectively removed the entitlement feel of it with his comments and apology - it doesn't make it right - but it puts it in a better light - a more charming light for me personally. It was to get the jump in -- not for the game but for the big picture. Elias is going to score and the team needed to know that for the long haul not the one game. That's my take-away on it and I like that. Oddly enough it was trust building for the team even if it might not sit well with the refs. And that is what is needed now.

After consideration - I like this as it stands... it's not bad attitude. Is it effective? We'll see....

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm sorry, I missed the memo I'm suppose to ignore integrity and sportmanship and support the Devils even when they cheat.

They didn't but I'd still support them either way. not like every team in the league doesn't get away with stuff on the same level from time to time. We can't be the one who ALWAYS takes the 'honorable' approach while everyone else goes the other way.

To me it's a GAME, not a sportsmanship convention. You're in it to WIN or you're not, and if everyone else is doing something questionable, and youre not, honor is no consolation when you ultimately lose in the end. You have to be willing to play 'the game' everyone else does or you'll get nowhere,.