Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njdevil26

Devils Sign Steve Bernier

61 posts in this topic

Solid AHL signing. He tested the market a little bit after turning down the contract originally. Smart moves on both parties I think.

Edited by Quinn01

if palmieri doesn't improve over the next 10 games, i think bernier gets a shot.

agreed...now do we have a niffty nickname like napam for bernier because its one of this boards most creative ones

agreed...now do we have a niffty nickname like napam for bernier because its one of this boards most creative ones

Mr. Berns?

Look over your shoulder Palmieri, this ones for you.

+1, especially IF he regains the form he showed glimpses of when he played, albeit briefly, in Buffalo.

Bernier seemed like he didn't care in training camp. Seemed like he was giving little effort or the game was way too fast for him. I'm not sure how that will improve over a longer time frame of a season.

He is a frustrating player, 158 points in 358 NHL games is pretty healthy, yet the guy couldn't make our team with its horific RW depth!

He just needs to get his a$$ in gear and get motivated he could have a decent NHL career.

nice! someone needed to light a fire under palmieri's ass and this should do it

Look over your shoulder Palmieri, this ones for you.

It's a done deal, only a matter of time for some rigorous conditioning programming and learning the system.

RW Steve Bernier

Date of birth: March 31, 1985

Place of birth: Quebec City, Que, Canada

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 216

Shoots: R

NHL Seasons: 6

Drafted by San Jose in 2003 (1/16).

ASSETS: Owns good size and some untapped scoring potential. Can play the role of power forward effectively in short spurts. Is also a decent penalty-killer. gif.gif

FLAWS: Lacks consistency. Needs more work on his skating in order to emerge as a consistent scoring threat. His physical conditioning has been an issue. gif.gif

Physical depth winger. gif.gif

Based on preseason and general lack of interest in people signing him:

Current flaws: Lack of foot speed. Appears not to stay mentally involved in plays. Does not seem to possess any "plus" skills.

This guy is 6'3" 220 lbs and was selected right before Parise in the draft. Technically, this guy should be a top line RW based on draft and supposed skillset.

Now, he has 2 pts in 5GP in Albany. Does this guy not care about playing in the NHL? Anyone watch him play lately, what's the report on him right now?

Note: I know he doesn't have a NHL contract.

Edited by Anhkheg

This guy is 6'3" 220 lbs and was selected right before Parise in the draft. Technically, this guy should be a top line RW based on draft and supposed skillset.

Now, he has 2 pts in 5GP in Albany. Does this guy not care about playing in the NHL? Anyone watch him play lately, what's the report on him right now?

Note: I know he doesn't have a NHL contract.

Trevor Kidd was drafted much higher than Marty Brodeur too...you see where I'm going with this... :whistling::P

so true...being a high draft pick is worth nothing if you stink at the nhl lvl no matter how many jobs are on the line you succeed and zach was a steal

ask hugh jessiman lol

As per TG:

"Right wing Steve Bernier has joined the team after agreeing to a two-way contract for the NHL minimum of $525,000. He had previously been on an AHL contract with Albany for $105,000. That will continue to be the AHL salary on Bernier’s contract."

Hmm ... I like this move for a third or fourth line player RW.He is now with the big club on a line with JJ and Poni. Looks like Henrique will not be in the line up.

Parise-Zubrus-Kovy

Sykora-Elias-Clarkson

Poni-JJ-Bernier

Boulton-Carter-Mills

Edited by Anhkheg

So stink in the preseason, do not much in the AHL, and....profit?

Bernier better be way more physical than he was in the preseason.

If Bernier plays well this may put a slight dagger in Janssen's playing time.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac