Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
threestars

Computer help

10 posts in this topic

OK I think I need some help with my computer. For a while when I got to google search, sometimes (not always) when I click the link to a result I get redirected to the google homepage. I did a little searching about it and I may have some spyware or something (not sure the proper term). I have run a Spybot Search and destroy and cleaned that up. Now I can do a HiJack This log but have no idea what to do with the log once I have it. Can anyone here help me?

I had something similar but it would open a popup every 5th time (or so) I would use google. Try using malwarebytes to see if there's anything kicking around.

Good hunting!

A Hijack This log basically shows what you've got installed and running on your system and is used to help spot any suspicious processes.

If the Spybot scan took care of the problem, no need to do anything else. Otherwise, I second nj96's suggestion of MalwareBytes. Also, believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials does a great job of protecting against viruses and spyware.

Avast! is great for its boot scan. Scanning the computer before a process has a chance to start up and "Defend" itself is a great tool.

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions.

OK when I run HiJack This is says it does not have write access to the hosts file and (I am running Vista) says I should select run as administrator. When I right click on the Hijack this Icon and try to run as administrator, this option is greyed out, yet this is MY computer and I am the administrator. Does Hijack This need access to the hosts file?

Hmmm, I also do not seem to be able to create a log file from HiJack This. Once I have done the scan I can save the log file, a dialogue opens asking where to save it. When it tries to open the log file it notepad, I get an error saying it cannot find the log file and do I want to create a new one. If I click yes or no, I just get a blank Notepad.

So I decided to go the uninstall Firefox and reinstall route. Seems to be ok for the mo. Thanks for your assistance though folks.

Firefox is such a memory hog I won't use it anymore. If you've never tried iObit's Advanced SystemCare, you should download the free version and try it. It's great at keeping syopware off your system and watcvhing for other things that can slow your PC down. Works well, and is fairly unintrusive.