Team Skills Competition

lucifer91

Jets skills competition. http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/blogs/jets_report/?id=380573

I don't remember the devils doing anything like this, or maybe it just isn't marketed but in the comments it said something about 10,000 ppl attended at $25 a ticket. I think I would go to something like this. It would be a nice way to raise some extra cash, although I think Lou would frown on this type of thing. Your thoughts?

just for sh!t and giggles who do you think would be the best and the worst in each categories...

Fastest Skater: Tedenby / Sykora

Best Skater: Kovalchuk / CLARKSON

Stick Handling: Tedenby / Fraser

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk / Boulton

Hardest Shot: Kovalchuk / Pelley ?

Breakaway Challenge: Tedenby / Volchenkov

Elimination Shootout: Parise / Salvador

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk / Janssen ?

Passing: Elias / Clarkson

damn its hard to guess the worst in each... there's some that im actually clueless

yeah, the devils did one in 2000-01. they had the cup and all the trophies on display at the event. it was pretty neat, tickets were only like 15 bucks (i think if you had a season tix they were included in your plan) and i remember them inviting everyone into the lower bowl to enjoy. a lot of the players gave out sticks and gloves afterward. i had a blast. always wished they'd do it again.

Edited by sykkie15

They definitely did this in the mid-90s. I remember it fell on Columbus Day - I was allowed to go because I didn't have school. It was general admission and my father and I got there so early I got to sit in the lower level directly behind the goal for the first time. It was fun - I might even still have the stat sheet from it at home somewhere...I'll check and take a photo of it if I do.

just for sh!t and giggles who do you think would be the best and the worst in each categories...

Fastest Skater: Tedenby / Sykora

Best Skater: Kovalchuk / CLARKSON

Stick Handling: Tedenby / Fraser

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk / Boulton

Hardest Shot: Kovalchuk / Pelley ?

Breakaway Challenge: Tedenby / Volchenkov

Elimination Shootout: Parise / Salvador

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk / Janssen ?

Passing: Elias / Clarkson

damn its hard to guess the worst in each... there's some that im actually clueless

na I would probably put Parise as fastest skater, didnt he win it in the all-star game a couple years ago??

and best skater to Tedenby because he is like the Iverson of hockey

na I would probably put Parise as fastest skater, didnt he win it in the all-star game a couple years ago??

and best skater to Tedenby because he is like the Iverson of hockey

nah Cogliano won i think, also it was the fastest "all-stars"... there's faster skaters in the league but just not at those all-stars competitions

Fastest Skater: Kovalchuk

Best Skater: Kovalchuk

Stick Handling: Tedenby

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk

Hardest Shot: Greene

Breakaway Challenge: Parise

Elimination Shootout: Parise

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk

Passing: Elias

You really think Greene has the hardest shot? I would have maybe gone with Volchenkov or maybe even Kovy for that. Everything else I'd agree with except maybe Elias might be the best skater on the team rather than Kovy. Also, it could be argued that Elias might have a more consistently accurate one timer and therefor would be the best, but it's hard to not pick Kovy on that one.

You really think Greene has the hardest shot? I would have maybe gone with Volchenkov or maybe even Kovy for that. Everything else I'd agree with except maybe Elias might be the best skater on the team rather than Kovy. Also, it could be argued that Elias might have a more consistently accurate one timer and therefor would be the best, but it's hard to not pick Kovy on that one.

Greene was clocked at 96 back at the AHL skills competition. I'm not sure if Kovalchuk would be harder, he may get a 98 or so.

The Devils did this in the 1999-2000 season. Tickets were like $10 each. I will have to dig out my stub. There were two honorary coaches, Danny Aiello was one; I can't recall who the other was; I think it was a former player -- Bruce Driver maybe? I am pretty sure it was Sheldon Souray, not Stephane Richer, who hit over 100 MPH on the hardest shot competition. He, of, course, would go on to be traded away a short time later that season. The thing I remember most about that night was that I was amazed that so many fans came out to watch it; it wasn't advertised at all. I went home that night feeling that we had a really special team that year, and it turned out that we sure as hell did as they went on to win the Cup. It was a lot of fun.

I don't remember the one in 2000-2001 season.