Parise wants a Stanley Cup and has to decide if it will be with NJ

Rock

the best we can hope for by the playoffs...

• that the financial situation is settle... either that the TV deal thing Vanderbeek and Goldman is trying to pull off is working or that this Wendy's dude is buying the team or wtv, so then we can get a good rental and show Zach that we're serious.

• That Zajac is coming back strong and that the chemistry with Zach is still there

• That we're actually in the playoffs

the best we can hope for by the playoffs...

• that the financial situation is settle... either that the TV deal thing Vanderbeek and Goldman is trying to pull off is working or that this Wendy's dude is buying the team or wtv, so then we can get a good rental and show Zach that we're serious.

• That Zajac is coming back strong and that the chemistry with Zach is still there

• That we're actually in the playoffs

add in a contract extension for zach before the playoffs would be nice!

trying to stay positive here, you can turn a team around if you manage it well and with a little luck and good youngsters (which we have)

just think about Boston, 4 years ago their top 5 players in points were Savard, Krejci, Kessel, Ryder and Chara. If that year you would have said that 4 years after they'd be lifting the cup without Savard, Kessel and Ryder... not too sure anyone would have felt for that.

Or the flyers this year, i dont think i need to explain anything here

i mean if Boston got 2 first round picks for Kessel... i wonder what Colombus would be asking for theirs haha

Edited by SterioDesign

i mean if Boston got 2 first round picks for Kessel... i wonder what Colombus would be asking for theirs haha

Yeah, but Boston had leverage. Kessel was an RFA and they had no deadline for signing/trading him, other than Dec 1. They could demand a lot and didn't have to worry about him signing elsewhere.

You should post it....I'm pretty bored in class right now.

If you insist. The article starts off by saying the agents were in Florida to discuss contract.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/parise_huddles_with_reps_Xp9pKAIRPmpAHc5n4PDzLI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Most opposition figures firmly believe Parise will play elsewhere next season. Their arguments are compelling.

First, the Devils’ financial picture doesn’t inspire confidence the Devils can afford to be competitive regarding his contract, nor competitive in acquiring other players to build the Cup winner that has always been Parise’s objective.

Secondly, the Devils have not won anything beyond the first round during Parise’s tenure. The “always have a chance” mantra starts to ring hollow after six early springs.

Third, Parise can’t be certain of the prime on-ice role at left wing, not with Ilya Kovalchuk on hand for another 13 years.

Fourth, Newark is Newark. It’s not Florida, nor California, nor even his Minnesota home.

Fifth, because of all of the above, Lamoriello would hate watching Parise leave for nothing in July, so might deal him by the February deadline. But those close to the situation doubt the final conclusion, believing Lamoriello won’t scuttle this season with what would surely be an unequal talent swap — even though he traded his captain last year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/parise_huddles_with_reps_Xp9pKAIRPmpAHc5n4PDzLI#ixzz1eXBjwp3K

If you insist. The article starts off by saying the agents were in Florida to discuss contract.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/parise_huddles_with_reps_Xp9pKAIRPmpAHc5n4PDzLI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

1. True. I very much doubt the Devils will be the highest bidders if he does reach UFA status on july 1st. So.. will Zach settle for Sedins/Zetterberg paychecks hoping to "build something" with the Devs? Or does he think he's Crosby? Time will tell. :D

2. False. Right now with the way the CBA is working it feels like the best shot you have at winning is sucking hard a few years in a row to rack up elite draft talent on low wage contracts. Then you have a window of opportunity before your talent grows up and moves on to a bigger contract somewhere else. I feel like the Devils have a shot if they make the playoffs, and if they don't the only team I can think of that can arguably be said to be better managed is Detroit, so I don't really see why he can't win the cup here as much as anywhere else.

3. False. This point is just complete nonsense. Last time I checked hockey players are on the ice less then half the game even when they are considered superstars.. Of course there's room for both. If anything, the presence of other elite talents should make it easier for him to succeed as well.

4. True. I'd say that for most neutral people it's more enticing to go to Florida/California or go back to play for your home team then to settle down in Newark. Zach already has a history with the Devs however, so I doubt climate and celebrity nightlife will be high on his list of priorities.

5. True. Unless Zach signs by the deadline Lou pretty much has to trade him.

If there was ever a player that this team would do anything and everything they could to sign, it's Parise. I don't care what all the moronic talking heads on TV say, they don't really have any extra insight into the Devils organization that we don't, so what good are their opinions? They're not, that's what. And in my mind, I just can't figure out why in the world Lou would have let Parise be allowed to be named captain if he wasn't at least pretty sure he wants to stay and that he has a good chance of making that happen.

• The Devils next year have like $25 million in cap space.

• The players that we need to resign are, Parise, Broduer, Palmieri and Fayne.

• Sykora, Carter and Hedberg are the other contracts that will expire, but resigning them isn't of too much concern, although Sykora might change my opinion by the end of this year.

• Fayne will only get about $750k-1.5 mil/year and Palmieri will only get about $1-1.5/year, there's only at most $1.75-3 mil spent.

• Sign Broduer to a deal, it won't be more than $4 mil, more likely $3 mil, so that makes $4-7 mil spent. Hmmm, this leaves at least another $18 million in cap space to sign Zach.

• Even if you sign Sykora to a 1-2 year deal for $1.5-2 million. Carter won't get more than $1 mil and Hedberg is a big if and he or his replacement will get $1-1.5 mil.

• Add all that up and this STILL leaves at least $14 mil in cap space for Zach.

I estimated what all the players that are due to get new contracts will get in those, but I can't imagine that anyone will get much more than what I guessed, so this should leave plenty of money for us to sign Parise and even enough to look for a top 6 RW for next year.

With all that being said, unless we're really in that bad financial straits or Parise is set on leaving, how can anyone really say that it's unlikely that we resign him?

Edited by ATLL765

Signing Parise has got to make sense financially. You don't sign him just to sign him, he has a value to this organization that will no doubt be passed. You try to keep it as close to that value as possible. If it is anywhere over 7 million long term, he should be let go. 6.5 over 6 years is something I could live with even though there is zero chance he lives up to it. If I could get Semin for 6 to 6.5 million I would sign him over Parise.

Six springs with early exits and aside from last season, Zach was the go to guy on most of those teams. As much as I love Zach, we haven't won squat with him and I wonder if you can with him as the team's focal point.

Tend to agree with this. Zachs a great player, but he's not Crosby. Unless they can sign him for around $6M a year I'd rather see him traded.

Semin leads the Caps in penalties, I'd rather they get an elite C (or RW), then take on that headache. :D

Edited by njdevsftw