Latest on realignment

Z-Man

That can't be good for attendance, league wide - having more homestands. Ideally, you'd want those home dates spaced out a bit.

Oh for sure.. I mean I think with this, whether you like it or don't, it will be interesting to see how it actually plays out.. Seemed to have gotten approved by 20 owners pretty quickly

I see what you're trying to say but how does detroit, Columbus, minnesota benefit from being in a Division with dallas? Is detroit better off today? Did they get their wish? If the NHL made these changes to help geographically and with tv markets then I'd understand but it seems they just messed around to fit Winnipeg.

These changes had more to do with geography and TV markets than it did with Winnipeg. I think Winnipeg was just the thing that set this in motion since they haven't had an ideal time to make these changes until now. Teams like Detroit and Columbus have already expressed their pleasure with this.

https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/status/143887959589011456

"Red Wings fans who aren't happy with the realignment plan, know that your GM is. "We're thrilled," Ken Holland said."

https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/status/143879718997987331

"Scott Howson among the most pleased with realignment decision: "This was the best compromise.""

Plus Detroit could still potentially move again to an Eastern conference as they both have just 7 teams at the moment. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen if the Coyotes don't move or if the league looks into expansion (as the rumors are starting). A simple 1 for 1 switch with Winnipeg and another team would have left a lot of teams upset so I think this was a necessary compromise.

• Like 1

These changes had more to do with geography and TV markets than it did with Winnipeg. I think Winnipeg was just the thing that set this in motion since they haven't had an ideal time to make these changes until now. Teams like Detroit and Columbus have already expressed their pleasure with this.

https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/status/143887959589011456

"Red Wings fans who aren't happy with the realignment plan, know that your GM is. "We're thrilled," Ken Holland said."

https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/status/143879718997987331

"Scott Howson among the most pleased with realignment decision: "This was the best compromise.""

Plus Detroit could still potentially move again to an Eastern conference as they both have just 7 teams at the moment. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen if the Coyotes don't move or if the league looks into expansion (as the rumors are starting). A simple 1 for 1 switch with Winnipeg and another team would have left a lot of teams upset so I think this was a necessary compromise.

Surprised Ken holland loves it. I guess they like the position it puts them in down the road for further movement.

Bob McKenzie

"Big winners in realignment: DAL, MIN, DET, CBJ. Reg season/playoff travel significantly reduced. More favorable TV sked (earlier road games)"

Minnesota Wild Statement

"The Wild is thrilled with the NHL's realignment plan. This restores more traditional and regional rivalries with Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, St. Louis and Winnipeg. In addition, more Wild fans will be able to watch road games as a result of having more of our conference opponents playing in the Central time zone."

I can't wait until Phoenix moves to Quebec and they screw up the realignment before it starts :P

Now, I don't neccesarily mind the format of division playoffs in the first two rounds but only playing every other team twice combined with having division playoffs in the first two rounds essentially kills off all non-division rivalries and for the most part just adds games to rivalries that were already good (and forces the creation of new, goofy ones based on travel).

I'm not a doomsayer as far as our division goes. We are a middle of the pack team this year and will probably be one next year whatever the format anyway. Plus other divisions have their big, bad teams as well. If anything's unfair, it's actually in our favor (the fact we only have to beat out three other teams in a seven-team division and in the eight-team divisions you have to beat four out).

Apparently I'm in the minority in liking all of the changes. I probably would have tweaked the alignment so that all of the southeast teams were together, but if the owners like it this way, so be it. If the "lump the Florida teams in with the northeast teams" concept works in baseball, it'll work in hockey. And as others have said, the old division playoffs were intense; bringing that back will only improve the best postseason in sports.

The geographical issues have definitely bothered me for years. I don't know why because it never affected the Devils but it just bothered me that some teams were getting screwed over. I am not necessarily a fan of a four conference system but I'm totally willing to give it a try. Although, I still don't like Nashville's placement.

Edited by ben00rs

I can't wait until Phoenix moves to Quebec and they screw up the realignment before it starts :P

I think one reason the league kept both Eastern conferences with 7 teams is so that if Coyotes move to Quebec, that can be the eighth team in the conference with the Northeastern + Florida teams. Thus each Western and Eastern areas would have conferences of 8 and 7 teams.

Edited by thefiestygoat

If we wind up in the Gretzky or Lemieux Conference I will :puke:

The only non-offensive option (aside from geographical names) is going back to the Patrick/Adams/Norris/Smythe names.

I think one reason the league kept both Eastern conferences with 7 teams is so that if Coyotes move to Quebec, that can be the eighth team in the conference with the Northeastern + Florida teams. Thus each Western and Eastern areas would have conferences of 8 and 7 teams.

Yes, that's the plan - they covered that nicely.

Edited by Marshall

I disagree, at the end of the day the team who wins the Cup will have played 4 rounds and won all of them and will have beaten teams that have beaten the best that their conference could put up. I don't see the problem being the "best overall team" because if you win 4 rounds in just about any playoff system you will have earned it.

That's true, but how bumpy your road to the final four is becomes very dependent on how strong your division is. If you're in an easy division, you have two rounds against your crappy division rivals and then you have a 50% chance of playing for the Cup. The current system still favors teams with easy divisions, but at least the conference playoffs help eliminate that.

No more chance of a devs rags, flyers, pens, caps conference finals. There just wasn't a need to change the system. Screw Winnipeg. Hockey is growing at a great rate now. Why risk screwing around with things

I'm not a big fan of these changes and I know you hate everything that has to do with Winnipeg, but it's not like Winnipeg came in and told the league what to do here.

390171_10100477391176172_12125976_51949784_158038966_n.jpg

Edited by devilsfan26

Count me among those who like it. And if any of the league's revenue-sharing can go towards travel costs, it won't be so bad for the Florida teams. At least all their games are in the same time zone, as that seemed to be a priority with this realignment.

I also like the Proteautype (sp?) suggestions for conference names. It wouldn't seem fair if a team played in a conference named for a guy who wore their uniform, so I'd propose:

Conference A = Howe

Conference B = Lemieux

Conference C = Gretzky

Conference D = Orr

facepalm_Stupid-s750x600-90916.jpg

Yeah, this is going to take a lot of getting used to. Just hopefully no more obscure names for the conferences... no more Prince of Wales conference or something like that... I could deal with something like the Atlantic Conference or something that makes sense geographically...but don't name them after people

here's the write-up on nj.com:

nj.com link

The new look has two conferences with seven teams all based in the Eastern time zone: the Devils, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Islanders, Washington and Carolina in one and Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay in the other.

The third conference consists of eight teams in the Eastern and Central time zones: Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg. The fourth conference has eight teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones: Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Colorado.

The conferences have not been named.

Edited by Legion15
  • Like 1