Latest on realignment

Z-Man

[Going to be this guy for a little while, posting every tweet to come across my twitter, sorry if it pisses anyone off]

Voting took over an hour according to Dreger.

Glad to see they thought about it and didn't just rush to a decision/conclusion.

I'm personally curious to know what they'll name the divisions/conferences/whatever they'll be called. Maybe after who's considered the best player to come out of that particular group?

Well now that its official.....

Regarding divisional foes (under any alignment) I like to see the teams at least 6 times per year. The season is 6 months long & I think playing the rivals less than each month seems to be a negative for me.

I always liked the divisional playoffs, but the conference style did grow on me. It make take more years than divisional playoffs to build those conference rivalries but it does create new rivalries.

As previously written, for us it was Canes, Leafs etc

Not a big fan of re-seeding (it ruins all the playoff bracket bets, ya know). but it sorts seems necc. with the first two rounds being divisional.

You either need the first 3 divisional rounds + & a conf final, or else re-seed after the first 2 rounds. since they dont want a conf final, then re-seeding it is.

(oh my biggest gripe about playoffs is longing for the old days of teams playing every other night regardless of TV scheduling.

but the new reality is being held to TV schedules, esp now that Versus will be televising all but the first round -- so the 2nd round is supposed to be national coverage, ie no longer on our MSG networks...

and we still cant get all SC Final games televised by NBC, correct?

...oh and I hate the 2-3-2.

No, there will be 4 conferences, no Eastern or Western about it from what I understand.

Well what is it gonna be when the winner of 'east 1' plays the winner of 'east 2'? ... or do all 4 teams then get thrown into the mix and reseeded from there, which would feasibly mean we could see two east / two west teams go at it for the Cup

No, there will be 4 conferences, no Eastern or Western about it from what I understand.

exactly, the 4 conf winners of the divisional playoffs get re-seeded ( i guess based on Reg season) so say the devs win 2 rounds, the third round opp. could be something like Calgary.

Then final could be an opponent from your own division possibly

Next step is to make all games worth 3 points. 3 points for a regulation win, and keep the same format for OTL and SO and such.

It took me a while(ie years) to believe in this need, but it is the "only way possible remaining" to incentify wins & help reduce the crazy amount of games tied at end of regulation...

exactly, the 4 conf winners of the divisional playoffs get re-seeded ( i guess based on Reg season) so say the devs win 2 rounds, the third round opp. could be something like Calgary.

Then final could be an opponent from your own division possibly

no, that doesn't appear to be correct.

let's say the devil's division ends this way:

Devils

Rangers

Flyers

Capitals

Penguins

Carolina

Islanders

So round one would be Caps @ Devils and Flyers @ Rangers

Lets say the Devils and Rangers each won their series.

They would play each other in their "conference final (or round 2).

Lets say the Devils won.

They would then be seeded with the winners of the other 4 conferences (not sure based on what for seeding) and would play 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 in round 3.

Round 4 (Finals) would be the winner of that for the cup.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

390971_2325100810556_1340700115_32212815_1862829899_n.jpg

Edited by Colin226

Don't really care for it. The playoff system doesn't pick the best team as champion as best as the current system. You basically just have to win your conference playoff. It's very unfair, reminds me of college football.

I disagree, at the end of the day the team who wins the Cup will have played 4 rounds and won all of them and will have beaten teams that have beaten the best that their conference could put up. I don't see the problem being the "best overall team" because if you win 4 rounds in just about any playoff system you will have earned it.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

390971_2325100810556_1340700115_32212815_1862829899_n.jpg

Conference A: Smythe. Conference B: Norris. Conference C: Adams. Conference D: Patrick. Get it done NHL.

"The top four teams in each Conference would qualify for the playoffs

The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team.

Then the two winners in each conference face-off.

The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup."

Under this formula, cant the Devs play an opponent from the west coast in round 3?

"The top four teams in each Conference would qualify for the playoffs

The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team.

Then the two winners in each conference face-off.

The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup."

Under this formula, cant the Devs play an opponent from the west coast in round 3?

As far as I can tell that is eminently possible. It also means we could play a team in the Adams Conference for the Stanley Cup.

Gotta say I love our conference.. Will this mean higher attendance for the Devils due to a few more divisional games and playing other big name draws at home now like Chicago and Detroit? Can't say I'm really sure because it also means more no name teams at home