MSG in South Jersey

adam85491

Let's see if the Generals have any sort of say or care.

It's official. There's no way to get these stations down here. I tried for hours on all cable providers in the area. Not even possible to pay for an extra sports package unless you want Center Ice. I've known this forever but I decided to make it 100% and waste my entire day.

How can you market the team as "Jersey's Team" when over half the state cannot watch the games? I'm fed up with this bullsh!t. I'm not paying 200 bucks for standard definition Center Ice when they are the only hockey team that plays in this state.

You saw the outcome of the viewing party. Over 50 fans were there to see the Devils win. I know tons of fans. Even more so, there's a lot of young fans that end up liking the flyers since they are the only team on TV.

Do something about it. The team would gain mass exposure and fans if only they were accessible to the rest of the state.

It needs to happen.

• Like 3

does SNJ get ch.12? has this been brought up i want the devs in trenton and on ch.12

its a cable vision thing i get ny/philly stations, also why im a phillies phan, when you can see and watch what their doing yeah its a game changer hah

my girl is south and comcast gets flyers and msg and my bro is north comcast and gets flyers and msg

i would watch flyers but please dont let tv mess you guys up down south,

cablevision pulled the mlb playoffs last year yeah

i dont even relate to devs fans at all but i love the team and im glad we live in a zone where we have 4 teams in a radius

just keep the faith SJ Devs

What are the rules on that? It's the Flyers' tv region, I would imagine. Is MSG allowed to just put itself on tv there? They would have done that already if it was that easy. MSG is probably not even allowed to make itself part of any package other than Center Ice, right? I'm just thinking that there has to be a price for doing what you're asking, and if the Flyers get to set that price, then it could just be too much to do "the nice thing" and put the Devils on statewide.

I know that you have rights to market within 50 miles of where your team is situated. Sadly, I am about 85 miles from the arena. However, there is one pro hockey team in this state and for that, it makes little sense that it cannot be accessible to everyone that lives in the state.

Might it cost money? Probably. But it would generate money. Hell, I'd even pay extra for it.

I'm sure there's issues and confliction but when you get down to the basic level of thinking.

"I live in New Jersey. Why can't I watch the New Jersey Devils on television?"

You start to realize...it seems like a no-brainer that it'd be available to everyone in New Jersey.

I know that you have rights to market within 50 miles of where your team is situated. Sadly, I am about 85 miles from the arena. However, there is one pro hockey team in this state and for that, it makes little sense that it cannot be accessible to everyone that lives in the state.

Might it cost money? Probably. But it would generate money. Hell, I'd even pay extra for it.

I'm sure there's issues and confliction but when you get down to the basic level of thinking.

"I live in New Jersey. Why can't I watch the New Jersey Devils on television?"

You start to realize...it seems like a no-brainer that it'd be available to everyone in New Jersey.

That's almost as bad as the TV situation in New York. I don't want to hijack this thread with the details (unless you want me to), but TV's pretty messed up here. At least MSG is available all over the state, but beyond that it gets weird depending on where you are.

That's almost as bad as the TV situation in New York. I don't want to hijack this thread with the details (unless you want me to), but TV's pretty messed up here. At least MSG is available all over the state, but beyond that it gets weird depending on where you are.

I'm intrigued.

I'm just fed up with not being able to watch my favorite team. It's not like they're far away either. If I had an option to switch providers or pay an extra 5 bucks a month I would. I don't even have that.

Here's my proposal.

Offer a NY/NJ Sports Package for 4.99 per month to customers throughout the state of New Jersey. This way, the alternative (which is having access relative to sports in New Jersey and not Pennsylvania) is available to those who seek it. It is not forced on the "Philly Market" and thus does not invalidate their right to market within 50 miles. This would generate extra revenue for the cable companies and MSG Networks, as well as providing a cheap solution to Devils fans across the state.

Obviously I'd love the stations for free but this seems to be a logical approach.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Jersey-Devils-Fans/149094051863724

Raise awareness.

Edited by adam85491

Let's see if the Generals have any sort of say or care.

It's official. There's no way to get these stations down here. I tried for hours on all cable providers in the area. Not even possible to pay for an extra sports package unless you want Center Ice. I've known this forever but I decided to make it 100% and waste my entire day.

How can you market the team as "Jersey's Team" when over half the state cannot watch the games? I'm fed up with this bullsh!t. I'm not paying 200 bucks for standard definition Center Ice when they are the only hockey team that plays in this state.

You saw the outcome of the viewing party. Over 50 fans were there to see the Devils win. I know tons of fans. Even more so, there's a lot of young fans that end up liking the flyers since they are the only team on TV.

Do something about it. The team would gain mass exposure and fans if only they were accessible to the rest of the state.

It needs to happen.

Yeah, in the few times I've had the actual desire to venture into the 609 area code, especially near Atlantic City, there are way too many orange and white wearing cheesesteaks walking around. Makes you forget you're actually still in Jersey. I know the team plays in Newark, over an hour and a half drive north for most people down there, but it's hard to call it Jersey's Team when half the state is even excluded from watching on TV!

• Like 2

Argh, that's what I get for posting right before I go to bed. :doh1: I meant to say, your situation in South Jersey is WORSE than we've got it in NY.

So here's how it works up here. MSG and MSG+ are available pretty much anywhere in the state, if not everywhere. Like you said, each NHL team has a primary market area of something like 50 miles or 75 miles. That puts the cutoff for the Rangers/Devils/Isles at right around I-84. (Yet another reason why I find I-84 to be a good dividing line between upstate and downstate. :D) MSG also airs Buffalo Sabres games everywhere in NY except the tri-state area (that's why you see them cover the Sabres on Hockey Night Live); Buffalo's exclusive area goes out a little bit past Rochester. They're not supposed to carry NJ/NYR/NYI games in the Buffalo market, though this season I'm hearing that maybe things are a little different. Anyway, outside of the two exclusive markets it gets a little murky. The league has determined that all of NY outside of the NYC TV market is the Sabres' secondary territory. What this means is that we get all of the Sabres games and, when the Sabres are home, all other local broadcasts are blacked out. (Blackouts are not in effect for road games). We can still get a decent number of NJ/NYR/NYI games (about 50-60 each), but it's just frustrating to turn on the TV expecting to see the Devils only to find out the Sabres are on instead.

I grew up in Plainsboro, just north of Trenton. Watching the Devils (since 93) was a struggle my whole life. I was forced to do many things I did not want to do such as having an illegal TV scrambler so I could get the sports channel if any of you remember those days. When I moved to Lawrenceville and had Comcast I realized I didn't get any Devils games. I immediately ate the costs and cancelled Comcast and got Direct TV installed because they do get the Devils and in HD.

This has been a problem for as long as any of us can remember. At this point, I have completely accepted the fact that no one cares about the Devils from central to south jersey and that's just the way it is. South Jersey is not New Jersey sports, it's Philly. Once again, yes this is horrible and we can complain all we want about it but it's not new and it's never going to change. People as far east as Atlantic City still root for Philly teams. You will need to make sacrifices but there is a way. Get rid of Comcast and get Direct TV if you really want to watch the games, that's what many of us have done.

Devils games back in 93/94 was basically the whole reason for getting DirecTV in my family, although nobody will admit it these days. Cable was mostly out of the question living on a long driveway with only two other houses and Comcast not wanting to invest installing the wire if nobody stayed on for them to make money off of

I disagree about there being no Devils fans down here.

The NJ Devils sponsor a ton of youth leagues down here, in fact I played in a street hockey league where they gave out tickets and memorabilia several times. They have flyers for the college nights at every college and university in the state. And the viewing party was a huge success. I know a ton of fans myself. For opening night, 10 of us came up for the game and nearly had a row for ourselves. And that's just family members.

But think about it. A 10 year old is growing up. They love Zach Parise and the Devils, and when they play the flyers they are sure to tune in. But the rest of the family are cryers fans, and since the devils are rarely on, they eventually give up and like what they are exposed to - the flyers.

I worked in a convenience store near a hockey rink. I saw this situation all the time. It's far more prevalent than you think.