Steve Levy: Comedian

NJD Jester

Steve Levy isn't funny. We know this because ABC/ESPN sticks him with Darren Pang as a colorman. The colorman is the funny one. Levy is such an unfunny ass, he makes humorless Pang seem like Buddy Hackett by comparison.

But Levy--and admitted Ranger$ fan who used to do the Ranger$ pregame show on WFAN--did have one good kneeslapper during Game 5 of the Devils/Flyers series. He called the Devils' loss to the Flyers in five games "the end of an era."

Let's see...goalie in the prime of his career? Check.

Top line whose average age is about 26? Check.

Defense with Niedermayer, White, Rafalski, and two rookies? Check.

Scott Stevens, who might get back on the horse after an off-season on the shelf? Check.

Some kid named Parise, who might be a decent prospect? Check.

Some guy named Lou in the front office? Check.

Seriously, end of an era? Did they say that for the Wings, when they lost last season in the first round?

P.S.--For being one of the "best hitters in the NHL," (according to Levy), Roenick sure does leave his feet a lot.

<JESTER>

But Levy--and admitted Ranger$ fan who used to do the Ranger$ pregame show on WFAN--did have one good kneeslapper during Game 5 of the Devils/Flyers series. He called the Devils' loss to the Flyers in five games "the end of an era."

I don't remember exactly what else he said, but I thought he meant that it was an end of an era for the Flyers, i.e. they finally got the monkey off their back by beating the Devils in the playoffs. This really did mean a lot for the Flyers org and fans...

Sorry but I'm going to take the other side on this. If Scott Stevens never laces up the skates again, it is the end of an era. And whether or not you agree, Levy was right. Scott Stevens was the single most important player on the Devils' three Cup teams. That fact was only reinforced by what happened this year against the Flyers.

I don't care if you got Hale, Martin, Kadeykin or God. Nobody can replace Scott Stevens. His presence meant a lot to the Devils. Is it any coincidence that the Flyers were taking runs at the Devils the entire series with a reckless abandon never seen?

And like Levy pointed out during the telecast, no way would Stevens have allowed that to happen.

And do you think the Flyers would have gone to the net the same way getting almost any rebound or winning any loose scrum they wanted?

Stevens meant a lot. He gave Niedermayer and White some security. And gave Rafalski a perfect D partner that was ferocious.

And even with Niedermayer leading the way, he came up really small this series.

Bottom line is Hale better turn out good or the Devils still won't have enough of a physical presence on their blueline.

Edited by Derek21

Sorry but I'm going to take the other side on this. If Scott Stevens never laces up the skates again, it is the end of an era. And whether or not you agree, Levy was right. Scott Stevens was the single most important player on the Devils' three Cup teams. That fact was only reinforced by what happened this year against the Flyers.

I don't care if you got Hale, Martin, Kadeykin or God. Nobody can replace Scott Stevens. His presence meant a lot to the Devils. Is it any coincidence that the Flyers were taking runs at the Devils the entire series with a reckless abandon never seen?

And like Levy pointed out during the telecast, no way would Stevens have allowed that to happen.

And do you think the Flyers would have gone to the net the same way getting almost any rebound or winning any loose scrum they wanted?

Stevens meant a lot. He gave Niedermayer and White some security. And gave Rafalski a perfect D partner that was ferocious.

Bottom line is Hale better turn out good or the Devils still won't have enough of a physical presence on their blueline.

Very well said Derek

I agree with your assessment Derek, however Levy really didn't put the comment in that context directly, as he offered the Stevens commentary much earlier in the game. Couple that with the fact that similiar comments have been made about the Devils (each of the previous few times they were eliminated from the post season sans a Cup), ESPN/ABC's general ineptitude when it comes to covering the sport, and apparent dislike for the organization - there you have it, the source of the frustration.

What the hell does he know? He's just trying to build up the win for publicity for ESPN. They always do that. Even in the beginnning of the season, if a Nashville vs. Atlanta game was on he would be saying what an important game it is for the winner or some crap like that.

Oh yea he sucks at commentation too. The whole game he was gizzing in his pants after every hit.

or so the rangers fans would like to believe...

halfshark, you know me. I'm not arrogant like Levy or like other Ranger fans. I call it like I see it. I am not going to pretend to think if Stevens doesn't play another game that that's the end of the Devils as a playoff contender. I know better.

But no Stevens changes how they look. We're talking about one of the all-time greats.

You may be right about Stevens, but I don't think his departure suddenly means the Devils are going to be fighting for an eight-seed every season. They were a win away from a division title, missing Stevens for a significant amount of time.

I think what a lot of Devils critics underestimate is what the team would have done had Stevens been retired or our of the league, rather than injured. That's a lot of money to play with, and I'd count on Lou getting another physical veteran defenseman in here. Stevens is one-of-a-kind, but that role needed to be filled in this series and wasn't. That's why you have people like Martin playing stay-at-home.

I think that had more to do with the changeover in size for our forwards and defensemen than the loss of one player.

Yeah, I heard that too, and laughed when he said it. As if Stevens is going to prevent Brashear from demolishing Rafalski.

No, not on Stevens' shifts. But that speaks to a lack of another physical D-man than anything else.

First of all, if Colin White needs security, his ass should be in Albany next season.

If you're point is that the Devils miss Stevens, of course. But when he leaves, he leaves. I don't think it means the Devils are not a Cup contender without him, because I'm one of these kooks that thinks Brodeur is for real.

I don't think Levy was talking about Stevens. And I don't think as Stevens goes, so go the Devils. This series was a bad match-up. I said from Day One that the Devs couldn't beat Philly or Ottawa in the first round. Let's see what the Devils do to replace Scott first before we start playing taps.

<JESTER>

But don't forget, while we have won 3 cups with Stevens; we've also lost in the first round with Stevens, too. It's wrong to reason that this wouldn't have happened if Stevens were playing. It still could've. f's deserved it this year.

Sorry but I'm going to take the other side on this. If Scott Stevens never laces up the skates again, it is the end of an era.

Yes, it will be the end of The Scott Stevens' era, as he was the best captain in the league for about 10 years. But who's to say that The Devils can't recover?

And whether or not you agree, Levy was right. Scott Stevens was the single most important player on the Devils' three Cup teams. That fact was only reinforced by what happened this year against the Flyers.

Was Scott Stevens wthe single most important player on the Devils when they missed the playoffs in 1996? Or when they lost to The Rangers in '97? Or when they got knocked out in the first round in '98 and '99? Or when they got knocked out in the first round in 2002? Stevens is a great player. But this is a team. And teams have bad years, and years where things don't click. You can't just point to the fact that The Devils struggled this year and say that it proves that The Devils can't win without Stevens.

Yeah, The Flyers used to take it easy on us when Stevens played :noclue: Seriously, I don't know where you get this stuff from sometimes. Yes, Stevens was a force for us on the ice. So now we have to go find some more physical players. Will they be as good as Stevens? Of course not. Does that mean that the team should throw in the towel and drop out of the league? By reading your post that's almost the feeling I get. As for replacing Scott Stevens, everyone said that The Avs could never replace Patrik Roy. We might never replace Stevens. But that doesn't mean we can't find good leaders, solid hitters, and good defensemen.

Like the Carolina Hurricanes did in 2002?

Maybe that's why the team struggled when he was suddenly gone? Maybe that's why the team will be better when they have an entire preseason to adjust?

And that's probably the biggest reason that we lost.  Martin Brodeur's sub .900 save % might have had something to do with it too.  It's hard to win when your two best players struggle.  Fact is, players have bad playoffs sometimes.  I have complete faith in the ability of Scott Niedermayer, and would not trade him for any defenseman in the NHL.

If Hale realizes his potential, that would obviously be great for The Devils. But he will not make or break the team:

1994: Defenseman Sheldon Souray selected 72nd

1996: Defenseman Colin White slected 49th

1998: Defenseman Mike Van Ryn selected 26th

2000: Defenseman David Hale selected 22nd

2000: Defenseman Paul Martin selected 62nd

2000: Defenseman Matt DeMarchi selected 57th

2002: Defenseman Anton Kadeykin selected 51st

Souray - Van Ryn

White - Martin

Hale - Kadeykin

That's an elite NHL defense corps in just 9 years of drafting. Considering that most good defensemen play for 15 years, that's not bad at all. BTW, what do all these defensemen have in common besides being drafted by the Devils? Not a single one was selected with a pick earlier than our 1st rounder this year.

I don't understand the point of your post Derek. If you're saying that the loss of Stevens will be a big adjustment for The Devils, and that the team won't look the same without him, then I agree. If you're saying that the players and system the Devils have in place are somehow ordinary without Stevens, I'd say you're nuts. What did Chris Pronger ever win? Most think he's better than Stevens now. What did Ray Borque ever win (besides his piggy-back cup)? Most think he was better than Stevens for his whole career. Bobby Orr won 2 cups. Scott Stevens won 3. I don't think you'll find a hockey fan who will tell tell you that Stevens is better than Orr. Obviously there's something in New Jersey besides Scott Stevens.

Honestly Derek, I would expect that a disillusioned Rangers fan, of all people, would be the first to look beyond the name on the back of the Jersey.

Yeah well most Devils fans thought it was the end of an era a couple years ago too - hell there were some Devils fans that thought 2000 would be the end of the era cause everyone ASSumed Lou would leave because McMullen was leaving, so I can't get too mad at ESPN THIS time (although it does seem like they're relishing this now that they put it on their website :P ), lord knows there's enough to get pissy about with them :lol:

Sorry but I'm going to take the other side on this. If Scott Stevens never laces up the skates again, it is the end of an era.

Yes, it will be the end of The Scott Stevens' era, as he was the best captain in the league for about 10 years. But who's to say that The Devils can't recover?

If you read my post carefully, I never said the Devils were done as a playoff contender. I just said that it could have been the end of the Scott Stevens era. Something you agreed with above.

Was Scott Stevens wthe single most important player on the Devils when they missed the playoffs in 1996? Or when they lost to The Rangers in '97? Or when they got knocked out in the first round in '98 and '99? Or when they got knocked out in the first round in 2002? Stevens is a great player. But this is a team. And teams have bad years, and years where things don't click. You can't just point to the fact that The Devils struggled this year and say that it proves that The Devils can't win without Stevens.

Of course he was. He was also the single most important player in all three of their Cup victories. Sure, it's a team game. But no player meant more to those championships. Who else was going to send a message to opponents by taking their heads off and intimidating them into fear (i.e. Kozlov, Francis, Willis, Lindros, Kariya, etc.)?

Yeah, The Flyers used to take it easy on us when Stevens played :noclue: Seriously, I don't know where you get this stuff from sometimes. Yes, Stevens was a force for us on the ice. So now we have to go find some more physical players. Will they be as good as Stevens? Of course not. Does that mean that the team should throw in the towel and drop out of the league? By reading your post that's almost the feeling I get.

Then, you misread it and obviously didn't see my second post in reply to halfshark where I said, "halfshark, you know me. I'm not arrogant like Levy or like other Ranger fans. I call it like I see it. I am not going to pretend to think if Stevens doesn't play another game that that's the end of the Devils as a playoff contender. I know better."

As for replacing Scott Stevens, everyone said that The Avs could never replace Patrik Roy. We might never replace Stevens. But that doesn't mean we can't find good leaders, solid hitters, and good defensemen.

Where did I say that the Devils couldn't find other good players? I merely said something you agree with. That you don't replace a Scott Stevens. So, the look of their blueline changes if he doesn't return.

Like the Carolina Hurricanes did in 2002?

I knew you'd say that. So, I'll just say point taken.

Maybe that's why the team struggled when he was suddenly gone? Maybe that's why the team will be better when they have an entire preseason to adjust?

They did adjust. If he's really gone, the impact probably could be bigger than you anticipate. Because then, the players could finally know he's never going to be around again. I'm not saying that they'll fail here. But what I am saying is that the leadership role would still have to be fulfilled. Until further notice, nobody knows what's up with Stevens.

And that's probably the biggest reason that we lost.