Brodeur sees road’s end

Rock

I love Marty and it pisses me off that some people don't appreciate him now. Just wait till hes gone just wait then those fans will realize what were missing.

Yes hes getting older and losing some zip on his fastball so to speak but I still like my chances with him in goal.

I love Marty and it pisses me off that some people don't appreciate him now. Just wait till hes gone just wait then those fans will realize what were missing.

Yes hes getting older and losing some zip on his fastball so to speak but I still like my chances with him in goal.

its getting near the time to let go, he's ranked 29th out of 30 goalies in this league

what we're missing is Marty 2003,

Marty 2011 isn't the same guy anymore

Lou would be dumb to do so. As a Yankee fan I see Mo in the bullpen talking to and mentoring young relievers as the Yanks pray for the 'next' one to be in bullpen with him.

It would be sad to see Marty have to mentor a young goalie but it might be needec.

Lou would be dumb to do so. As a Yankee fan I see Mo in the bullpen talking to and mentoring young relievers as the Yanks pray for the 'next' one to be in bullpen with him.

It would be sad to see Marty have to mentor a young goalie but it might be needec.

Him mentoring a young goalie would be a bad thing? Really? I see/hope him becoming the goalie coach.

GPI GS MIN GAA W L OT SO SA GA SV%

ILYA BRYZGALOV

26 25 1455 3.01 14 8 3 1 665 73 .890

SERGEI BOBROVSKY

13 10 655 2.56 7 2 1 0 323 28 .913

mr. universe hes 31' 8 year contract hell be 39 if he makes it...what about leighton, i didnt know he was a river rat

maybe not the right thread sorry for the sh1tty copy/paste

Edited by lazer

First, what's wrong with the job that Chris Terreri is doing as the goalie coach? I admit that I kinda have trouble envisioning a post-playing career Brodeur, but I really don't see him as a coach. At least, not right away, and certainly not for the Devils (unless Terreri wants to leave?). I could see him spending a few years as the AHL goalie coach/assistant coach, I suppose (just like Terreri), but I think that's a couple of years away yet. Which brings me to...

Second, everyone is selling out on Brodeur way too quick. He was struggling a little earlier in the month, but he sat out for a few weeks there and he's never had great starts to the season. Besides, he could be an effective backup goalie for a couple of years to come still.

Anyway, with Wedgewood and Kinkade working their way through the Devils system right now, I'm reminded of what it was like watching Sean Burke playing, and having Craig Billington, Chris Terreri, and (slightly later on) a young Martin Brodeur coming up to play handfuls of games. Ahhh... good memories. Hey, I can dream! :)

Edited by ohms law

Second, everyone is selling out on Brodeur way too quick. He was struggling a little earlier in the month, but he sat out for a few weeks there and he's never had great starts to the season. Besides, he could be an effective backup goalie for a couple of years to come still.

everyone is not casting off marty down the river

i did not, your a little late to the marty party

still, marty has a good game and moose has an alright game and everyone is not wrong.

everyone is not casting off marty down the river

i did not, your a little late to the marty party

still, marty has a good game and moose has an alright game and everyone is not wrong.

To be clear, "everybody" means a vocal group of people who talk about hockey online. And keep in mind that I'm not thinking of this board specifically... I've been hanging out on NJ.com, ILWT, and Fire & Ice prior to a couple of day ago.

It just makes me want to scream, the people talking about Marty being finished this year and pointing to his ~.890 (or whatever it actually was) save percentage early on. Martan Brodeur always has slow starts. I've been watching him his entire career, fer christ's sake, and I'm trying to tell people that there's really nothing new going on here, at all.

Anyway, I can definitely see him in the front office somewhere. Or, he may go to the league offices, like Shannahan has done. Still, this is all two or three years down the road in my opinion (he'll probably be our "backup" goalie after this season, or at least sharing the duties with someone else, but he's going to keep playing). I can easily envision him just kind of fading off into the Devils front office somewhere... as a scout for a couple of years first, then as an assistant gm or something.

Of course... we're actually gonna need 2 goalies (or, at least 1. Like I said, Marty can backup fine for a couple of seasons, as long as he's willing). Let's not forget that Hedburg is 38, has had a good career, and his contract expires at the end of the season. Wearing Lou's shoes for a sec, I don't resign Hedburg, bring back Marty for the same (hopefully slightly lower. Say 2 years @ $5M then $3M optional for both parties in 13-14) salary, and sign Niittymaki away from the sharks (who have 2 good goalies under contract for next season already) for $3M, 3 years (as long as there's not a huge bidding war over him, which I doubt because of his recent injury history).

That way the Devils are set for the next couple of seasons, and they can rotate in Wedgewood and Kinkade for handfulls (or even 20-30) of games to get their feet wet. Goaltending isn't a huge emergency for the Devils.

To be clear, "everybody" means a vocal group of people who talk about hockey online. And keep in mind that I'm not thinking of this board specifically... I've been hanging out on NJ.com, ILWT, and Fire & Ice prior to a couple of day ago.

It just makes me want to scream, the people talking about Marty being finished this year and pointing to his ~.890 (or whatever it actually was) save percentage early on. Martan Brodeur always has slow starts. I've been watching him his entire career, fer christ's sake, and I'm trying to tell people that there's really nothing new going on here, at all.

Anyway, I can definitely see him in the front office somewhere. Or, he may go to the league offices, like Shannahan has done. Still, this is all two or three years down the road in my opinion (he'll probably be our "backup" goalie after this season, or at least sharing the duties with someone else, but he's going to keep playing). I can easily envision him just kind of fading off into the Devils front office somewhere... as a scout for a couple of years first, then as an assistant gm or something.

I've been watching him his entire career too. So have many others. And yes, Marty did get off to a slow start last season (as did the whole team, to say the least).

But here are his save%s for October and November combined for each of the four seasons before last: .925, .916, .910, .915. The last real true slow start I can think of before these past two years was '05-'06. So he is NOT always getting off to slow starts. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that he's never carried an .892 season save% into January.

The last two games have been good for Marty save%-wise, but it remains to be seen if they're just a couple of brighter spots in what's been mostly a meh season for Marty. There isn't a Devils fan alive who isn't rooting for Marty and doesn't want to see him go on a roll...I just can't bank on it.

bah... yea, the .892 is an historic low, but whatever.

He is older (duh!), but that doesn't mean that he's done. Not by a long shot.