Patrick Elias: Where Does He Rank Among the NJ Devils Greats?

msweet

I think he's the 3rd greatest Devil to date and will be the last of the retired jerseys for a while (assuming Brodeur goes up before him)... I made a list of my top 20; but to be honest, just kinda rattled them off and rearranged quickly so I am sure I may have missed someone or will question my order a bit later. For one, I'm not sure if I put Burke or Terreri in the top 20... if they do, obviously near the bottom. Parise will rise up the more he is here.

To be honest I wouldn't have included Daneyko on the retired jersey list... he would have made an excellent ring of honor, etc.

1) Martin Brodeur

2) Scott Stevens

3) Patrik Elias

4) Scott Niedermayer

5) Ken Daneyko

------------------

6) John MacLean

7) Bruce Driver

8) Bobby Holik

9) Zach Parise

10) John Madden

11) Scott Gomez -only as a Devil, obviously.

12) Sergei Brylin

13) Jay Pandolfo

14) Randy McKay

15) Brian Rafalski

16) Kirk Muller

17) Tommy Albelin

18) Jamie Langenbrunner

19) Travis Zajac

20) Aaoron Broten

Awesome list. I thought it was Neil Broten? Why am I confused right now..but seriously awesome name drops. Love the Albelin drop too.

I think he's the 3rd greatest Devil to date and will be the last of the retired jerseys for a while (assuming Brodeur goes up before him)... I made a list of my top 20; but to be honest, just kinda rattled them off and rearranged quickly so I am sure I may have missed someone or will question my order a bit later. For one, I'm not sure if I put Burke or Terreri in the top 20... if they do, obviously near the bottom. Parise will rise up the more he is here.

To be honest I wouldn't have included Daneyko on the retired jersey list... he would have made an excellent ring of honor, etc.

1) Martin Brodeur

2) Scott Stevens

3) Patrik Elias

4) Scott Niedermayer

5) Ken Daneyko

------------------

6) John MacLean

7) Bruce Driver

8) Bobby Holik

9) Zach Parise

10) John Madden

11) Scott Gomez -only as a Devil, obviously.

12) Sergei Brylin

13) Jay Pandolfo

14) Randy McKay

15) Brian Rafalski

16) Kirk Muller

17) Tommy Albelin

18) Jamie Langenbrunner

19) Travis Zajac

20) Aaoron Broten

Like many others have said, awesome list. The only exception I would take is with the placement of Scott Gomez. I can't put this guy anywhere near the top 20 or the "ring of honor" that was also being discussed. I realize the guy played 7-8 years here, about 3-4 of which as the first line center but what sacrifice did the guy ever make for the organization? He went for every last dollar in arbitration and then bolted as soon as he had the chance. Plenty of other guys on the list left the organization for a variety of reasons but when I saw what the Rangers signed Gomez for, I was just happy it wasn't us. I didn't think he was worth what he was awarded in arbitration let alone $7 million.

It might just be me but when I think back to those long playoff runs from 2000-2003, I have very few recollections of Scott Gomez providing important points (maybe the first two rounds of 2001?). He was a pretty good player who just happened to spend several years here.

I was going to say he belongs right next to Zajac for his career so far but now that I'm looking at your post again you have him at 18, so I guess my point is that Gomez needs to be moved down a bit.

As for the original OP, I put Elias at #3 behind only Stevens and Brodeur.

Edited by Lateralous

colin white should replace gomez. he gave up his eyesight for this club

Not sure if this is a sarcastic response to my post but I actually would put Colin White ahead of Gomez, especially if we're are talking about a ring of honor as some have mentioned. I would rather see guys like Brylin, White and Pandolfo recognized for doing everything within their power to help this club win than guys like Gomez and Guerin who were obviously better players. Sure, Gomez had 10X more skill but White gave everything he had to this organization for 10+ years and basically only left because his services were no longer needed.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you we're pushing for Colin White previously.

Edited by Lateralous

Verbeek was on the edge for me... Lemieux was left off on purpose only because of his length of tenure. I know him as a Devil, but I don't really see him as a protypical Devil. Also, he spent so much time with the Habs, Avs and Yotes that he doesn't really have a single team own him.

Claude may not have had a very long tenure but his impact and importance to this franchise is top 20 probably top 10 !!!!! It might not have been the devils way but it was claudes way and it was fun

By the time he's done, he'll be number two to Brodeur. One team and high level of play puts him there. He doesn't pass Marty because he doesn't have the first cup.

That's a bit much. I'd say the Stevens Marty debate is legit for number 1. No way Patty beats either of them. I love him, and I have no trouble putting him ahead of Nieds, but Stevens was a once in a lifetime player.

That's a bit much. I'd say the Stevens Marty debate is legit for number 1. No way Patty beats either of them. I love him, and I have no trouble putting him ahead of Nieds, but Stevens was a once in a lifetime player.

How is there no way? Obviously Stevens is a legit choice but its debatable who the greatest is. Elias only played with us and sacrificed a career of offensive prowess to play a two-way well rounded game and win with the Devils. He also totally defines the Devils in his humility and greatness. He has done things out there on the ice that Ovechkin or Crosby could never do...I've seen him do it many times...and he never needed to dance across the ice like a moron or to have the favoritism and publicity from the league. He just shuts up and plays to win. He has led this team for years and has been a good player every year of his career. Best of all he has always respected the fans. His talent is amazing and his ability to read the ice is unheard of.

When this team lost all its top players, Elias stayed when he could have ran...he didn't run. And he put the team above himself when that idiot sutter took his "C". He has been a constant throughout and stuck with it to be our all time scoring leader. If Elias reaches 1000 points it will be a miraculous accomplishment given his constantly changing linemates and the defense he has had to play.

Nah, I'm totally serious. Either that list wasn't thought through or Colin White's contributions to the Devils aren't considered important enough.

I actually mulled that choice too... Colin White was my favorite player, and he's the only jersey I own.

I can't put my finger on what he is lacking... but I could place him anywhere from like 17 through 30... I want to say somewhere around 25.

Also, I think also didn't want to have as much 2000 era bias.... although our core then was ridiculously talented.

... but what sacrifice did the guy ever make for the organization? He went for every last dollar in arbitration and then bolted as soon as he had the chance. Plenty of other guys on the list left the organization for a variety of reasons but when I saw what the Rangers signed Gomez for, I was just happy it wasn't us. I didn't think he was worth what he was awarded in arbitration let alone $7 million.

I was going to say he belongs right next to Zajac for his career so far but now that I'm looking at your post again you have him at 18, so I guess my point is that Gomez needs to be moved down a bit.

I can definitely see your point for Gomez.... but if your going to start going after people with money grabs and arbitration grudges... you have to knock Holik down too with his bidding war with the Rangers...

Gomez was important part of the two cup runs. He won the Calder his rookie year putting up 70pts... and we used him on a lot of different lines. He was one of the few players who could really move the puck for us, and watching games in the 2000 era, he just sticks out. Maybe I have him to high, but I defintely have him on the top 20. He was the anti-Devil, Devil... We clashed a lot; but we did a lot together.

Awesome list. I thought it was Neil Broten? Why am I confused right now..but seriously awesome name drops. Love the Albelin drop too.

We actually had both Broten's. Aaron was drafted in '80 when we were the Rockies... he played ten years for us from 1980 (2 games) - 1990.

Neal was his brother, he's mostly a North Star... playing the tail end of his career 94-97 for us. Really nothing special for us... although would make the Star's top 20 I think.

Paul - the third brother wasn't very good.

But all 3 Broten's did play for the Stars

Neal was his brother, he's mostly a North Star... playing the tail end of his career 94-97 for us. Really nothing special for us... although would make the Star's top 20 I think.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Without the trade for Neal Broten and the lightning in the bottle (28 points in 30 games) he got coming here, the Devils might not have made the Playoffs, let alone win the Cup. Only 5 Devils have recorded more playoffs points then Broten did in 1995.

Edited by SJP20
  • Like 1

I disagree wholeheartedly. Without the trade for Neal Broten and the lightning in the bottle (28 points in 30 games) he got coming here, the Devils might not have made the Playoffs, let alone win the Cup. Only 5 Devils have recorded more playoffs points then Broten did in 1995.

Yea I was going to say, I don't think I'd recall the name if he didn't do something special for the Devils. I've only been a fan since 1990 so I don't recall first Broten.

Yea I was going to say, I don't think I'd recall the name if he didn't do something special for the Devils. I've only been a fan since 1990 so I don't recall first Broten.

Aaron Broten was a really nice player for the Devils. Led the team in scoring twice and played 8 years with the Devils and 10 for the franchise. Was part of 87-88 team that went deep into the playoffs and performed well in that stretch.

Not taking away from what Neal Broten did for the Devils, but Neal's time was so brief that I would have to put Aaron as more important to the franchise than Neal.

Fair point. Poor choice of words. But Neal only played 88 reg games and wouldn't classify him as a "Devils Greatest"... He was defintely impactful, but so was Jeff Friesen and he largely sucked.

i cann`t put brodeur higher than stevens

becouse in play off brodeur do anything without S.S. and S.N.

By that same token, with Stevens and Niedermayer (granted he was a teenager at the time), and before Brodeur, the Devils lost in the first round to the Rangers in 7 games in 1992, and to Pittsburgh in 5 games in 1993. That's hardly having playoff success.

The success of Stevens and Brodeur is so intertwined, it is easy to make an argument for either of them.

By that same token, with Stevens and Niedermayer (granted he was a teenager at the time), and before Brodeur, the Devils lost in the first round to the Rangers in 7 games in 1992, and to Pittsburgh in 5 games in 1993. That's hardly having playoff success.

The success of Stevens and Brodeur is so intertwined, it is easy to make an argument for either of them.

Honestly, it was the trap that got us to be a powerhouse back in the mid 90's. To think it was Brodeur or any single player then you are incorrect. Pretty easy to win when you hold the other team to 15-20 shots a game.

Edited by DevsMan84