Steve Cangialosi

ohms law

Here's something that I've wanted to talk about in it's own thread for a while.

Steve Cangialosi is a bad play-by-play announcer. It's not even worth using a bunch of adjectives about him being bad, the fact is that he's just not a good play-by-play guy.

Granted, we've been really spoiled with Doc for years now. Partially because of that, I figured that I'd give the guy a shot; I've been trying to avoid passing judgement on him prematurely.

Other than the fact that I'm just not thrilled at having to listen to his voice (which is OK, in small doses), I think the main problem is that he just tries to get into too much detail during the call. That, plus him and Chico are just a bad combination because they get each other off track with side stories and whatnot.

Steve was an OK host/reporter. If it were up to me, I think that I'd swap him and Deb Placey.

The makeup Cangialosi wears exceeds the word sickening...

With that being said, advising that Deb Placey takes his place is almost idiotic.

She is a sideline reporter because people tell her what to say. if you think she can jump in the booth and talk the entire game on how she sees it, you're out of your mind

He's horrendous. I don't enjoy the games on TV nearly as much with him. I actually count how many times he says "sharp angle shot" when it's not. Also "jarred" the puck is his new one.

He doesn't give any information about penalties, and for some reason seems confused when one is called. Never knows which team it's on. "We'll sort it out" when we return. Hey Steve, it's on the team that has the puck when the whistle is blown.

And don't even get me started on his goal calls. Fake excitement. Hate it.

I never knew how he got the backup job to Doc, so I'm amazed the job is his now. Oh, and a face for radio for sure!

I think Steve does a good job and I'm glad Doc was replaced in-house. And if you are talking fake excitement, that's Gary Thorne's middle name. I also think he'll get better with experience. I think when Steve stops calling pbp, that's when Chico should be chiming in with the details/analysis. I do agree that they both seem confused when penalties are called.

We're definitely spoiled. Watching other teams' feeds on GCL, it's obvious how bad most play-by-play guys across the league are. Cangialosi is better than most, IMO.

On the subject of our commentators, I noticed something cool the other night. I tuned into a Canadiens Cup-clincher against Boston from the mid-70s the other night just to see Robinson, Lemaire, Dryden & Co. in action, and heard a familiar voice. It was Chico! After some Googling, I found that back in his playing days, Chico would jump in the booth after his team was knocked out of the playoffs. Unreal. The man's been at it for 35 or so years. And, as quirky and homer-fied as he is, he's another underappreciated part of our broadcast.

On the subject of our commentators, I noticed something cool the other night. I tuned into a Canadiens Cup-clincher against Boston from the mid-70s the other night just to see Robinson, Lemaire, Dryden & Co. in action, and heard a familiar voice. It was Chico!

"Ya know, just this morning, I was talking to [Robinson/Lemaire/Dryden] and he said he wanted to [play a solid shut-down game/score a huge goal/make a key save] and, by golly, he's done it! Good for him!"

This thread is very silly. Honestly when you come right after a guy who is known as possibly being the best at that profession, of course you will have huge shoes to fill. Steve has been a decent replacement and every game he gets a little better. If you think he is annoying do you remember how doc sounded like when he first took over the pbp for the devils? His voice was so nasally that listening to games at times was unbearable but over time he toned it down a bit and became the best there is.

Have you heard some of the other announcers in the league as well? We are lucky to even have a replacement like Steve who doesn't resort to dumb gimmicky phrases like the guy down in Florida or is a complete homer like the guys in Pittsburgh.

Deb placey is nothing special. Only difference between her and the blonde last season is that she can read her notes that she puts on the table in front of her and daneyko in sharpie better. I cant stand the fact that she talks out of the side of her mouth and when she is talking while along the boards she cant seem to stay still.

Not as bad as I first though although he would be better if he was an actual fan of the team IMO.

Do you think Doc grew up a Devils fan? I think just over the years the Devils grew on him and just became part of the family after all those years.

Also remember he was the pbp guy for the Flyers back in the late 80's-early 90's as well.

Steve is fine, and I have adjusted to the new standard of our PBP. I still listen to the Devils feed every game, and when I do switch over to our opponents to see how they are covering a controversal call/goal... I almost always want to swithc back immediately...

Steve is not Doc, but I can assure you, no one else is either.

I like Steve a lot more than Matt Loughlin too.

• Like 2

Steve is fine, and I have adjusted to the new standard of our PBP. I still listen to the Devils feed every game, and when I do switch over to our opponents to see how they are covering a controversal call/goal... I almost always want to swithc back immediately...

Steve is not Doc, but I can assure you, no one else is either.

I like Steve a lot more than Matt Loughlin too.

+1 This.

Doc is a Wings fan. So even if Steve is a Ranger fan... who cares? It's not like he sh!t talks the Devils every chance he gets (like Burnside, (N)Єverson, and so on). If Steve IS a Ranger fan, he does a great job of being impartial. The only Devils fan in the media that I know of is Don LaGreca. Anyone else?

Starting with the pre-game show... I like Deb. She always has a happy and positive personality and the players seem to like talking to her. Interviews with Steve are awkward and I usually avoided the pre-game show because of him.

Steve's play by play is not great. He adds no personality. He uses the same phrase for every situation... gives no opinions. Most of the time he serves as a spell check feature for Chico who is just lost without Doc. At least they had some chemistry. Steve's voice just isn't good either. It's got no bass and no substance to it. Sometimes I wish we had a guy like Jack Edwards. He may be a murdering psychopath but he announces the hell out of games. We complain when others are homers but we complain that our guy isn't a Devils fan. Can't have it both ways. We went from having one of the best PBP setups to now one of the worst. Off the top of my head the guys I like better are Dallas, San Jose, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NYR, Detroit, and I'm sure there's more. I hope this was a trial basis for Steve and that he's not a lock to be back next year.

Doc is a Wings fan. So even if Steve is a Ranger fan... who cares? It's not like he sh!t talks the Devils every chance he gets (like Burnside, (N)Єverson, and so on). If Steve IS a Ranger fan, he does a great job of being impartial. The only Devils fan in the media that I know of is Don LaGreca. Anyone else?

Starting with the pre-game show... I like Deb. She always has a happy and positive personality and the players seem to like talking to her. Interviews with Steve are awkward and I usually avoided the pre-game show because of him.

Steve's play by play is not great. He adds no personality. He uses the same phrase for every situation... gives no opinions. Most of the time he serves as a spell check feature for Chico who is just lost without Doc. At least they had some chemistry. Steve's voice just isn't good either. It's got no bass and no substance to it. Sometimes I wish we had a guy like Jack Edwards. He may be a murdering psychopath but he announces the hell out of games. We complain when others are homers but we complain that our guy isn't a Devils fan. Can't have it both ways. We went from having one of the best PBP setups to now one of the worst. Off the top of my head the guys I like better are Dallas, San Jose, Toronto, Ottawa, Carolina, Boston, NYR, Detroit, and I'm sure there's more. I hope this was a trial basis for Steve and that he's not a lock to be back next year.

Are you saying that Doc's voice had bass?

I agree we were very spoiled with Doc. I honestly dont mind Steve. He aint nothing spectacular but I think he is better than most; especially Pittsburgh.

I had no idea Don LaGreca was a Devils fan. I thought he was a Rags fan?!

Are you saying that Doc's voice had bass?

Maybe bass wasn't the word I was looking for. I just meant it has no weight... ugh idk how to describe what I'm trying to say. Maybe we were just spoiled. Doc knew everything about every player and their families and he made boring games interesting... Steve is just so blah.