Steve Cangialosi

ohms law

I agree we were very spoiled with Doc. I honestly dont mind Steve. He aint nothing spectacular but I think he is better than most; especially Pittsburgh.

I had no idea Don LaGreca was a Devils fan. I thought he was a Rags fan?!

yeah LaGreca is definitely a Devils fan. I have had suspicions that EJ Hradek is too but I'm not sure. But LaGreca is confirmed.

Doc's voice isn't perfect, but his delivery, preparation and personality more than make up for it. Steve has a "Connecticut School

of Broadcasting" voice with none of the positives to compensate, IMO.

I'm not comparing him with Doc, there is no comparison. The guy has just always annoyed me.

In a recent game I remember a Devil taking a shot right between the circles in front of the goalie and Steve yells "SHARP ANGLE SHOT!!!!"

Steve is not perfect by any means but remember prior to this season he was just a fill-in for Doc. Give him a season or 2 to refine himself. Hell I think he has already improved since the beginning of the season.

Cangi has actually surprised me at how not annoying he's been thus far this season. Chico has come unhinged without Doc grounding him, but that's just the magic of Chico. He's a crazy person, but he's our crazy person. Cangi does his job well enough and that's all you can ask of someone who's taking the place of a legend. It's a tall task to ask of anybody and Cangi is performing as well as can be expected given the situation. When compared against other announcers in the league, he may be a bit homogenized, but he's not terrible by a long shot.

As for the Sharp Angle Shot thing, it's a crutch and what's better, he realizes it. If you notice, he's really tried to limit his use of it because it did reach comic levels earlier in the season, so much so that now it stands out every time we hear it. Every announcer develops crutch phrases, even Doc. Thing was with Doc, you didn't notice because his crutches melded so well with the flow of his call, you didn't notice or care. All in all, Steve is doing a more than adequate job.

I have no problem with Steve's voice or his play-by-play. The problem is that he's currently very dull and he doesn't have much chemistry with Chico. He needs to open up a bit, be a little more willing to go off on tangents or throw in a joke or story here and there. As it currently stands the telecast has much less life than it used to have, but hopefully it will improve as he gets more experience and more time with Chico.

Steve seems like a nice guy who is doing his best at his dream job. He, on his best day, is no better than an average commentator. He is clearly trying.

He probably has the hardest act in the world to follow. It's like me, someone who has done stand up comedy like twice in my life following after Robin Williams. I might not be that bad...but relatively speaking I obviously am.

What bothers me the most about Steve is that EVERY SINGLE CLEAR ON A POWERPLAY is, a "big clear." aahhhhhh

Thing was with Doc, you didn't notice because his crutches melded so well with the flow of his call,

and.... play, continues.

Steve is that EVERY SINGLE CLEAR ON A POWERPLAY is, a "big clear." aahhhhhh

We really needed that big clear last night in OT... lol

The problem with Steve is he's just not interesting. He just calls the action, that's it, and I often find myself just blocking him out and watching the game. Doc had some interesting story about just about any player at any time, and that's because he just loves the game. I'm sure Steve would go a Gary Thorne route if he was given the choice. He already calls Red Bull games and I'm sure if he got the chance he'd do basketball or baseball games. His Ranger love has all but disappeared over the years. I remember after the lockout every interview or story would evolve into a Ranger question or 1994 reference. I also don't like how he calls players by their nickname or first name, like "Zach passes it to Kovy" or "and Moose gobbles the puck up!" Yech. He and Chico have no flow, there isn't that good-natured ribbing like Doc and Chico used to have. It seems like as soon as the the cameras turn off Steve and Chico head their separate ways and don't talk till the next game. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound like they hate each other like Mike Miller and Randy Velischek sometimes did.

Having said all that, he's still better than I expected him to be, and I'm still willing to give him some time to settle into this role. If this board existed back in 1993, I bet there would have been an uproar when Doc replaced Thorne and look how that turned out.

Agree with many of the posts here - Steve is decent. When you watch the other 29 teams, you see that there are some great PBP guys (Strangis in Dallas, Bob Miller in LA, Randy Hahn in SJ, even Sam Rosen), and there are some awful ones (Jack Edwards, Steigerwald). Steve falls in the middle of the pack, and honestly will probably improve with time.

Apparently 18 years of Doc have spoiled many of you who despise Cangy. It could be much worse.

Agree with many of the posts here - Steve is decent. When you watch the other 29 teams, you see that there are some great PBP guys (Strangis in Dallas, Bob Miller in LA, Randy Hahn in SJ, even Sam Rosen), and there are some awful ones (Jack Edwards, Steigerwald). Steve falls in the middle of the pack, and honestly will probably improve with time.

Apparently 18 years of Doc have spoiled many of you who despise Cangy. It could be much worse.

This. I am one of those that hate Steve. Atleast he isnt hitting the self tanner as hard these days. I agree though, Doc has spoiled us.

This. I am one of those that hate Steve. Atleast he isnt hitting the self tanner as hard these days. I agree though, Doc has spoiled us.

Like Z-Man said, it could be much worse and Cangi is actually not bad. Hell we could have ended up with Matt Loughlin moving from radio to tv pbp.

As the late (and great) Richard Jeni once said, the television play by play guy really only needs to say "See that? So did I, back to you." So long as you don't make me hit the mute button, I can live with whomever. One thing that makes me do so are idiotic canned lines, Michael Kaye's "see-ya" or Chris Berman's "back, back, back". (John Sterling is absolutely gut-wrenching, but alas, he's radio so you're a captive audience). Others include Michael Kaye for telling the same story over and over again (have you heard that Kevin Yukilis was once referred to as the Greek God of Walks, just in case you missed the last 5000 times you've been reminded about it in the past) or when he repeatedly misuses the word ironic (Mikey, it's merely a "coincidence" that CC Sabathia once pitched for Indians and now he's pitching against them on a particular evening).

And with Chico being a homer, newsflash, he does color commentary for the Devils. He's paid to be a homer (along with virtually every other play-by-play man who isn't doing a nationally televised game).

With that being said, advising that Deb Placey takes his place is almost idiotic.

She is a sideline reporter because people tell her what to say. if you think she can jump in the booth and talk the entire game on how she sees it, you're out of your mind

That may be true, I don't really know anything about her. maybe they could bring someone from the outside in, then. Who knows.

My only thinking there was that she's already part of the coverage team, and it would be an easy move to make. I think she's done well as the host/reporter, as well. But, whatever... if they could just talk Steve into being more pithy during the game action, and avoiding any stories unless and until there's a significant break, then I can live with him.

We're definitely spoiled. Watching other teams' feeds on GCL, it's obvious how bad most play-by-play guys across the league are. Cangialosi is better than most, IMO.

While I agree with this in principle, I also enjoy watching and listening to most of the other play-by-play guys much more than listening to Cangialosi. That's actually part of what brought this up.

The Canadian broadcasting teams are terrific, but that's not exactly a fare comparison. I was watching and listening to the Kings coverage last night though, and they have a good on air team.

Edited by ohms law

I'm sure Steve would go a Gary Thorne route if he was given the choice. He already calls Red Bull games and I'm sure if he got the chance he'd do basketball or baseball games.

Doc also has called NFL/NCAA football, lacrosse and water polo... I think you call what your call, when told to or afforded the opportunity to do so.

He's human. He's cut down on the gimmicks and become listenable. It's almost funny when he says shat, SCAR now. He's better than I thought. I used to love listening to Doc almost as much as watching the game, so the come down is tough, but I don't mind listening to Steve, which I did in the past. Give him time.