Followers 0
Weekes Head

Preds' Peterson diagnosed with Parkinson's

13 posts in this topic

According to TSN.ca:

Peterson diagnosed with Parkinson's

TSN.ca Staff

4/20/2004

Nashville Predators associate coach Brent Peterson has confirmed he is suffering from Parkinson's disease.

Peterson says he informed team management and the players on Sunday and elected to go public with the diagnosis in order to quell any wild speculation.

"I was a little concerned. I didn't want anyone to know because I didn't want them to treat me differently," Peterson tells the Tennessean. "I didn't want them to think I was a leper or something.

"I feel a little relieved now that everyone knows, so I can just go forward."

Peterson, a former player, says he began experiencing a tingling sensation in the fingers in his right hand over a year ago but did nothing about it. After several months had passed, he started to feel stiffness in his right hand and began noticing that his right arm wasn't swinging quite the way it should when he walked. Peterson went to see the doctor, who referred him to a neurologist, where the diagnosis was made.

Parkinson's Disease is a slowly progressive neurodegenerative illness characterized by tremor, stiffness, slowness of movement and difficulty with balance. In Canada, there are approximately 100,000 people suffering with Parkinson's and more than half of them are diagnosed before retirement age. Treatment options include drug therapy, surgery, and physical therapy. Drugs alleviate the symptoms but do not halt the progression.

Peterson, who was given a contract extension by the team on Monday, says he expects to continue his duties with the Predators while receiving treatment for his disease.

"I plan on coaching for 10 or 15 more years," he said. "Hopefully things will get to the point that I'll always be able to do my job."

Peterson is friends with former Boston Bruins star Cam Neely, who is also a friend of Canadian actor and avid hockey fan Michael J. Fox, who is one of the more prominent people diagnosed with the disease. Pope John Paul II and Muhammad Ali are also battling with the ailment.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=80894&hubName=nhl

yeah me too

but geesh.. it gets WORSE AND WORSE this year doesn't it..

Best wishes and prayers. Go to the doctor when things don't feel right!

Poor guy. Hope he gets well :( .

Shame... Get better soon

I didn't think you "got better" from Parkinsons? Micheal J. Fox has organized a few celebrity hockey tournaments up here to raise money for Parkinsons research. From my readings, the best you can hope for is to slow it down to a minute crawl...