Parise: Money matters, but Cup chances are key to new deal

Rock

Love Zach parise but this guy hasn't been great in the playoffs during his tenure as a Devil. He should take some responsibility for our struggles recently

He did. From the article that this thread is about:

“We made some mistakes before. We lost some series we should’ve won. But what do you do now? It’s about how we’re going to do in the next few years.”

Any team that makes the playoffs can win the cup. The stacked teams are stacked already and can't fit an 8mm contract on their roster and they aren't really sustainable because players want their money. Boston is very fortunate that they were basically able to keep their team together for another go this season.

If you want to sign for big money, you need to pick a team and lead them to the cup with your supporting cost. It's time for Parise to lead this team to victory.

This.

Meh, I wouldn't call him the least of the problems. He's a scorer and his scoring hasn't been there when NJ has needed it. I'd give his playoff performances a B- or so.

If you like being depressed, here's something to check out:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/ppl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=2007&year_max=2011&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=NJD&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=F&handed=&c1stat=games_played&c1comp=gt&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Lol wow. Uh..ya.

He did. From the article that this thread is about:

“We made some mistakes before. We lost some series we should’ve won. But what do you do now? It’s about how we’re going to do in the next few years.”

see those key words.....he didnt say "how the Devils will do in the next few years" or "how I'm gonna do in the next few years".....he said "how we're going to do in the next few years"......yes he said "we're" as in him with the Devils together, so I guess he's planning on sticking around.

end of discussion

Yup, that's the kind of thing that I always pick up on as well.

Just to pile on to that train of thought:

J.P. was also quoted as saying: “He's overly loyal, and he's not going to rush into anything. He's always loved the New Jersey Devils. He's been extremely loyal to the organization, to his teammates. But this is business now.”

Zach smiled.

“That,” he said, “is true.”

Zach... i have the perfect solution here to make everyones happy...

sign the damn deal, you'll get your money, and if you really see after a few years that we're not getting anywhere just ask for a trade, its that simple, then you won't fvck us over completely by walking away this summer without having anything in return at least.

Zach is no big deal. If we loose him, we can just Sign Dustin Penner away from the Kings.

*snicker, snicker*

I think this below from TG's blog today says it all on top of him referring to "we're" when speaking about the devils in the future...

“From a player standpoint, you always want to look at how the team is built for the future and what the future looks like, if you’re going to be a competitive team.,” he said “That’s the most important thing. I think that’s No. 1 on my list – a team that’s going to have a chance year in and year out and looks in the future like they’re going to have a great chance to consistently make the playoffs and have a chance at the Stanley Cup.”

Just to clarify, I asked Parise if he believes the Devils fit that description?

“I definitely do,” he said. “I was just saying what a player is looking for.”

He's not going anywhere!!! Can anyone can't get an answer out of Lou why he hasn't started talking with his agents??? It is beyond me when he said he would DURING THE SEASON for Parise after he signed the 1 year deal.

First comment on the Fire & Ice story:

Ok…bleacher report is full of sh!t apparently

Posted by rjk on 01/10 at 01:12 PM

rotfl

um... dude, it's Bleacher Report. Duh!

:D

The way Parise has played, the way he's spoken about himself and the team and just the way I perceive him as a person, I think he'll give the Devils a better chance at signing him than he will any other team. I don't see him getting anymore than Stamkos is though. He's scored 40+ goals one time in his career, but is more likely a 35-40 goal guy and will consistently put up around 75-85 points per season. Eric Staal may be getting almost $8 mil, but he had a 100 point season, Parise has not done that. Staal has also won a Cup, Parise has not. My point is not that Parise is a lesser player or is not deserving of a big contract, but I don't see him getting more money than guys who put up more points per season and have achieved more in their careers to this point than he has. I see him getting somewhere in the $6.5-7.5 mil range. Anymore than $7.5 and it starts to get a bit ridiculous when guys who have scored 50 goals and guys who have won cups are a getting only that much or less.

I think Parise is better than Jeff Carter, but statistically, he's not been by a whole lot and Carter signed for like $5.5 mil or something, right? Both he and Parise have put up similar numbers over their careers and are of a similar age, so what logic brings you to the conclusion that Parise deserves more than $2 million/season more than Carter does?

I think Parise will sign for something like 8 years for around $55-60 million. Whether he signs with NJ or elsewhere is another question altogether.

Edited by ATLL765

I agree with that analysis, too. Eric Staal is different in that he's basically the core of the franchise, as well. I think that the Carolina front office this season is beginning to realizetheir mistake in putting all of their proverbial eggs in that one basket, based on some of the things being said in the papers recently down in Raleigh.

I'm betting that Parise is more interested in the length of the contract than the amount anyway. Obviously he's going to want as much as he can get per season, but he sees what Lou gave Kavalchuk and realizes that he deserves at least the same contract. One component of the talk about "cup chances matter more" has to do with getting a contract that works for him and the team, and receiving a longer contract with a lower per year base (stretched out, basically) accomplishes that. Neither party could do that sort of thing this last summer, with the obvious injury concerns. It seems that he's recovered now though, so everything is looking pretty decent to me.

Both Jeff Carter's contract and Ilya Kovalchuk's seem like good comparables, to me. I'd guess that he'll end up with a 15 year deal at an average of $7 mil per year. He may be willing to match Kovy's $6.666 mil average, though. (Carter: 11 years, $5,272,727; Kovalchuk: 15 years, $6,666,667). It'd be nice if the average (and therefore the cap hit) were lower, but I wouldn't count on it.

The way Parise has played, the way he's spoken about himself and the team and just the way I perceive him as a person, I think he'll give the Devils a better chance at signing him than he will any other team. I don't see him getting anymore than Stamkos is though. He's scored 40+ goals one time in his career, but is more likely a 35-40 goal guy and will consistently put up around 75-85 points per season. Eric Staal may be getting almost $8 mil, but he had a 100 point season, Parise has not done that. Staal has also won a Cup, Parise has not. My point is not that Parise is a lesser player or is not deserving of a big contract, but I don't see him getting more money than guys who put up more points per season and have achieved more in their careers to this point than he has. I see him getting somewhere in the $6.5-7.5 mil range. Anymore than $7.5 and it starts to get a bit ridiculous when guys who have scored 50 goals and guys who have won cups are a getting only that much or less.

I think Parise is better than Jeff Carter, but statistically, he's not been by a whole lot and Carter signed for like $5.5 mil or something, right? Both he and Parise have put up similar numbers over their careers and are of a similar age, so what logic brings you to the conclusion that Parise deserves more than $2 million/season more than Carter does?

I think Parise will sign for something like 8 years for around $55-60 million. Whether he signs with NJ or elsewhere is another question altogether.

Throw out Staal's 100-point season...it came during the 1st post-lockout season, where legal body checks were being called penalties. Guys put up numbers that season that they haven't since. Gomez's 33 goals and Gionta's 48 goals ring a bell?

What Staal has shown is the ability to put up 70-80 points or so a season, to the tune of about 30-40 goals and 35-45 assists per season (5 straight years, before this one).

Throw out Staal's 100-point season...it came during the 1st post-lockout season, where legal body checks were being called penalties. Guys put up numbers that season that they haven't since. Gomez's 33 goals and Gionta's 48 goals ring a bell?

What Staal has shown is the ability to put up 70-80 points or so a season, to the tune of about 30-40 goals and 35-45 assists per season (5 straight years, before this one).

He's also terrible on faceoffs and not very good defensively. To a large degree, he's Kovalchuk if he played center.

But it's not Staal's contract that's killing the 'Canes, it's the fact that they haven't drafted a halfway decent defenseman in 10 years, and the fact that Rutherford tosses away a lot of draft picks every year. I like Rutherford's style - he understands some things about the market that other GMs simply don't - but the lack of draft acumen has caught up to the franchise.

Yea, agreed. I do think that his contract is handcuffing the team's cap management slightly, though. It's not "killing them" by any means, but... when you have the one guy who's pulling down the mega contract that can be kinda tough on team psychology in addition to the cap management aspects.

So this was posted last month

Could Zach Parise Be Headed To The Wild Next Season?

December 2 St. Paul Pioneer Press

"Former Minnesota North Stars captain J.P. Parise says his youngest son, New Jersey Devils captain Zach Parise, wants to sign next summer with the NHL team that will give him the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. Could that be the Wild? The elder Parise called Minnesota "a young, coming team." After signing a one-year contract for $6 million with the Devils last summer, Parise is scheduled to become a free agent following this season. "He likes to win," J.P. said after watching the Devils work out at the Xcel Energy Center on Thursday in preparation for tonight's game against the Wild at the X. "He likes to have a chance to win, and right now it's kind of tough with the Devils." J.P., one"

Hmmm...well you know what if he wants to go to the Wild how about we trade him for a G and Clutterbuck.

There's been a consistent amount of fan interest in Parise to Minnesota since... about this time last year, actually. It's all predicated on the idea that Parise is somehow going to be magically drawn to play hockey where he grew up. I think it's all bullsh!t personally, but you never know (think about it, would that be that large of a consideration for you personally, if you had the choice between a few job offers? To some it is [see: Brent Sutter :rolleyes:], but it's not that big of a deal to most.). He certainly hasn't said anything to give the hopeful speculation reason to continue, though.

I'd think that what his (soon to be, right?) wife wants is more important than where he grew up. It should be if he knows what's good for him, anyway. lol!

We have a CLutterbuck in David Clarkson. I say Harding and Setoguchi for Zach and a pick.

I would burn the Pru Center down myself if thats what we got in return.

If traded, I'd expect a #2 defense men or a #1/#2 center in return.

Weber from Nashville? Larsson and Weber patrolling the bluelines for years to come wouldnt be bad.

Assuming Parise really wants to stay in N.J., what does the board think is a fair contract offer? I think going $8 mil a year is too steep (unless it's for a short-term contract of say 3-5 years - which wouldn't be my first choice). I'm thinking something of the order of an average cap hit of $7.4 for 8 years ($59.2 mil) is about what we can and should expect. Now, if Parise were to hit the open market, I'm sure he'd get $8 mil from some team. And quite honestly, I think his numbers/stats alone won't justify an extravagant contract. However, it's the little things he does and what he means to the heart of soul of this team that makes a mid $7-million annual offer justified. As of right now, I'm really not sure what to think as far as a timeline for signing. Simply put, what is Lou waiting for? Does he not want to negotiate during the season to back up past precedent? Is he waiting for more info as to the long-term salary cap projections? Is he waiting to see where the Devils are at regarding playoff positioning with regard to whether or not he'd even contemplate trading him? At this point, your guess is as good as mine. As usual, it's yet another potential soap opera. Sure it's intriguing on some levels. But man, it's really starting to get frustrating. But then again, what isn't frustrating about rooting for the Devils these days?