NFL Divisional Round....

CRASHER

Well here we go......7 games of football left, you're either playing this weekend, or you're home watching and firing your coaching staffs.... we all know what's on the line....and hell the game starts in a damn hour....I better get to it!!!

Saturday January 14:

4pm:

Saints at 49ers:

It's a damn shame this is the "hidden" early game....if you ask me this is the most interesting game of the weekend....the high flyers vs the ground and pounders on their home field which you know is gonna be as

slick and slow moving as possible this weekend....time to break this down:

How the Saints got here:

The Saints are truly the perfect dome team....good WRs, balance in the running game, ridiculous QB play, and

just enough on defense to make some plays when needed and slow the other team just enough to out-gun

them, a gutsy and SMART head coach (yes Mike Smith that's an evil eye YOUR way asshat), and I think by now

we all know the Saint blueprint to victory (9-0 at home didn't hurt either)

How the 49ers got here:

As much as the Saints did it on Brees' arm....the Niners did it the EXACT opposite.....good running game,

awesome defense, team toughness and when you only turn the ball over ten times in a season, you're

going to be epic (hell Laflamme turns it over ten times a GAME when he plays me in Madden!!), and frankly

San Fran may have gotten this far IN SPITE of their QB-play, but he's doing a HELL of a job in "David Garrarding"

his way to a career re-birth....

Who will win?

Let's be fair, as much as people goosh and look at the numbers from Brees, this is also a team that lost on the

road IN ST. LOUIS....that's in a dome bitches.....that's pretty bad....this team needs it's home cooking and

crazy crowd noise to disrupt other offenses and give themself a good chance on defense....this field is gonna be

slow and messy, and the Niners are going to pound and pound the Saints...think Marshawn Lynch last year, and

I frankly think the Niners are the better TEAM, and I do think that's gonna be enough in a pretty awesome

clash of styles here and this will be the best game of the weekend for that alone!!!

Winner: 49ers

Game Quality: ****

8pm:

Denver at New England:

The Evil Empire vs the Naive Farm-Boy from Cheers, that's really what people think this is going to boil down to

and this time they might actually be right....the world is watching to see if Tebow can once again turn wobbling

ducks into wine...it's gonna be cold and chilly tonight too....maybe hell is gonna freeze over??

How Denver got here:

Well a wing and a prayer would be a fitting term right??? But we know the story, good defense, tough running

game....a few gifts from God, and a VERY beat-up and depleted Steelers team leads Heaven's Gate into Foxboro

tonight for this one....yeah I'm short-versioning this ......I wrote all this crap last week anyway, well aside from

Tebow 3:16 being born on one overtime long bomb.....

How the Patriots got here:

Much like the Saints, and much Saint-like in the results, the Pats got here on the arm of Tom Brady and a few

good TEs....Brady spreads the ball like no other QB, and with less of a running game then even Brees had, and

scary enough a WORSE defense (so much for Belicheck "molding all these young guys" they keep drafting year

after year), it's been a simple key to success.....ride the best QB in the sport as far as he can take them.....

Who will win?

There's a LOT of pressure on the Pats who haven't won a playoff game since that lil Super Bowl incident....

three bad home losses in a row and New England DOES have something to prove here, even just to themself....

I can't see Tebow being THAT good again....unless this is a sign of the Apocalypse (this is the year for it after all

right??)....and Denver's defense wasn't good enough in Round 1 to stop the Pats offense...it's going to be cold,

but DRY...if the weather was nastier I'd give the Broncos a shot here....I don't think the Pats will blow them

away like they did last time, but they will win this by enough to cover any point spreads you got, and the plucky

lil Virgin QB can go "aw shucks" into the wind and avoid Katy Perry....if he knows what's good for him.....

Winner: Patriots

Game Quality: *** 1/2

Sunday January 15:

1pm:

Houston at Baltimore:

We go from two total opposite teams playing each other on Saturday, to damn near identical twin-type teams playing on Sunday (least in style and approach to the game)...expect a lot of defense and running the ball here, with a few shots down the field and both teams doing their damnedest to protect the QB from themselves as much as from the pass rush....this game could be a LITTLE bit ugly to be honest......

How the Texans got here:

QBs dropping like flies, no Mario Williams....Wade Phillips mid-season surgery...no problem! TJ Yates is making a case to be one of those backup QBs someone takes a chance (and a few draft picks on), the league's best running game and a now healthy and super-dangerous Andre Johnson to stretch the play and more important the Raven weakness....their secondary....a strong defense and good special teams....that gets you into the second round of the playoffs (well that and an EPIC pick-6 by JJ Watt that won that football game last week)

How the Ravens got here:

Can anyone remember such an up and down 12-4 team? Every time you think this team was set and on a roll after a BIG win they came up TINY the week after (beat Pitt, lose to the Titans, beat Houston, lose to Jax, beat Pitt, lose to SEATTLE?, and then the loss where the Chargers exposed that awful secondary I was talking about....), but the Ravens did beat who they needed to beat and managed to get home field and a week off in January.....Joe Flacco was "eh" this year at best....it's sad that 3,600 yards and 20 TDs is considered "average" now....but it is....Ray Rice was solid, but not awesome....and the front 7 was good....but still I do wonder what the Raven identity is....I know what it is on the other seven teams left......

Who will win?

You can tell from above that I'm not high on the Ravens, their offense is still spotty, and the D is flawed in the secondary, despite the front 7....it's going to be key to see who can run the ball on who Sunday also (both teams kept opponents under 100 yards a game for the season)...damn these defenses mirror each other the more you look at it....there's an awful LOT of pressure on the Ravens in this one, since it's expected they will move on, and Houston has NOTHING to lose here....that can make a difference....and push come to shove....I don't trust Flacco at this point in his career, and he's gonna have to make a big play somewhere in this game....usually I like to take 3 of 4 home teams in these games....and here ya go...

Winner: Texans

Game Quality: ** 3/4

430pm:

NY Giants at Green Bay:

Boy oh boy have the Giant fans been chirping about this one.... "we own the Packers"...."Lambeau is a second home"...."look what we did last time there"...."the last time the Packers hosted a home game, we beat them there" ....blah blah fraking BLAH....meanwhile on the other hand....this is yet another chance for A-Rod and the team that won 15 games this year to get a chance to take one more eraser to the name "Favre" from Packer history and archives.....this should be a good one with lots of points and footballs flying through the air!!!

How the Giants got here:

Did anyone bother to tell the Falcons that was a playoff game last week??? That effort was pathetic for a PRE-season game....forget a playoff one....Mike Smith coaching the game like it's Madden 12....QB sneaks up the middle for 3 yard losses instead of field goals....way to kill your team IDIOT....and the Giants took advantage big time of it....

How the Packers got here:

Dominance.....turnovers (on defense), A-Rod being the dominant QB he is, really don't need to say a lot here being 15-1 speaks volumes in itself.....

Who will win?

People keep saying "well the Chiefs jammed the Packer WRs and shut them down".....didn't work too well for Chicago and Detroit did it?? And Greg Jennings is back now....he says hi.....that changes the whole look and feel of this Packer offense, the Packers are healthy and rested (notably, Starks, Jennings and Clay Matthews), and this same team beat the Giants in NJ a few weeks ago....it's been my pattern this year....beat the team on the road and no major changes in personnel (and yes before Manta has a sh!t, the Texans now have Andre Johnson back, they DIDN'T in the first game)....this will be a high scoring one again, but I'm counting on the Packer D to make a few plays to swing this one their way.....

Winner: Packers

Game Quality: ****

Edited by CRASHER

Can't say I'm that surprised by the NE-Denver outcome. I didn't think they'd win by THAT much, but I did think they'd win without too much trouble.

I'm not going to take this game and proclaim that all ills have been cured in NE though. As well as they played on both sides of the ball, this game was tailor-made for the Pats. And this game went a long way towards proving what many of us already knew...Tim Tebow isn't any good. His defense played above their heads for a while, which kept him in games despite the fact that he wasn't leading his team to very many points, but in most games, when his defense isn't holding down opposing offenses, setting up scoring opportunities, or not scoring any points of their own, Tebow simply can't put enough points on the board. So many things went absurdly right for Tebow when he went 7-1...now that they're not, he's getting exposed, and brutally so. The honeymoon will be over in Denver by Week 5 or 6 next year.

Houston, and especially Baltimore, are going to be MUCH tougher opponents to deal with. I'm not saying NE can't beat them, but either team is light-years ahead of what NE just faced. If Baltimore get there, it's definitely an "either team can win" kind of game.

The Patriots defense is certainly a different defense with the return of both Chung and Spikes and moving McCourty to FS. What I liked was the push the Patriots D-line got into Tebow's face netting them 7 sacks. The Pats offensive line also came-up big and emasculated Von Miller and the Broncos pass rush.

thanks much Jacoby Jones.....you made this game into an UNWATCHABLE BORE, and there is NOTHING worse then an unwatchable football game on a Sunday afternoon in the playoffs!!! :rant:

I can't even believe the Ravens are in the Conference Championships. This team was out played today. The difference was the absolutely horrific decision by Jacoby Jones to field that punt.

The Texans played a really strong game minus T.J. Yates playing like a rookie. He made every rookie mistake you could make, and got lucky 3-4 times to. The Ravens made a bunch of big mistakes too, but happened to fall on every lose fumble.

Not impressed by this Ravens team...but having said that...NE has not beaten a team over .500 once this season. Not sure if Baltimore has enough to pull the upset though.

I think Houston for ONCE showed a lot of guts in the last few weeks, and really so today (well aside of Jacoby Jones who should meet a firing squad in the locker room :P), and with the Jags, Colts and Titans all looking kinda if not flat out awful, the Texans are primed to be a team that's here for the next few years....I actually have to tip my hat to them.....

Flacco didn't erase any of my doubts and concerns about him, Baltimore is gonna have fits with the NE TE's and when the Pats spread it around.....

home teams are 7-0 in the playoffs, didn't see THAT coming......

Well add more fuel to the debate of resting your starters and turning it off down the stretch when you have a bye coming up too. The Packers coasted a bit for a few weeks and it hurt them. The offense looked sloppy as hell. The fumbles weren't even impressive strips. It was just atrocious ball security. Everyone was dropping catchable passes and Rodgers looked the worst he has in well over a year. The refs were trying to help the Packers all day and they were having none of it.

Got to give the Giants some credit for sure, but the Packers had the worst defense in football all year. They need the offense and a few turnovers to win games. They didn't get it today.

"There is a right way to do things, a wrong way to do things and then there is the Ravens way to do things. It wasn't pretty, but then we aren't a pretty team". T-Sizzle.

I am very happy that our D found a way to win. Our O-Line was overwhelmed by the Texans D. Phillips has really turned that D around and kept Houston in the game. I never doubted the outcome, but we looked far too flat (as did Green Bay).

I am also very, very happy that the Pats decided to run the score against the POP WARNER offense from Denver. I would rather have Brady compfortable during the prep week. Brady seemed intent on reminding the world and the media created Tebow Phenomenan who is the real NFL QB MVP.

I think we got lucky yesterday, but will be much more focused this week. If we can find a way to free up Suggs again, it will frustrate Brady. Brady hates playing against Suggs. That will be our key to winning. I am already psyched for next week. Bring on the Pats!

Wouldn't want it any other way. I will HATE it when the Giants are looked at as favorites. Here's to the underdogs this weekend, if we both make it, hopefully the gmen can tag you back for 2000.

My Giant fan nephews are in this state of mind as well. Look forward to that scenario as well.