Andy Greene trade options

mouse

One thing to keep in mind in this discussion is that Foster is a right handed shot, while Green is a left handed shot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to prove himself before he is sent packing anywhere. Id personally rather see him in the lineup then Foster though but I guess thats just me.

I'm not bashing Greene, or saying he's worse than Foster. I just don't think the d has looked much worse without him, and Foster brings a necessary skill that Greene doesn't have. I'd rather try to improve through trade than put Greene back in. I don't buy that the return from playing Greene is that great.

I definitely respect where you and Tri are coming from.

Yes, he has helped. But I don't think he's good - I think Adam Larsson was horrendous. Slow decisions with the puck and a terrible shot release. Foster has a good release and tends to make quick decisions, but he's not very good at passing and makes the incorrect decision a too high % of the time.

Greene is not movable until at least the off-season - Taormina has what 25 NHL games? And Urbom fewer than that. Urbom was also not good during his callup and I don't think he can be #8 on the depth chart for a playoff team.

I actually think the team has missed Greene.

If by not moveable you mean they can't do without him, that's one thing but technically he's moveable since they moved Oduya around the same point into signing a long-term deal. I'd rather not see the Devils make it a habit...but it will be interesting to see what happens when (if?) Greene comes back, assuming nobody else gets hurt by then - which is a big assumption. With a healthy lineup, you'd have to figure Foster gets benched, but the PP has finally started to look NHL-caliber recently, do you really want to mess with it?

trading Greene would be moronic. It would kill our chances at a decent playoff run.

I guess I'm missing the sarcasm smiley?

I wish I could bottle whatever voo-doo magic Andy Greene has done to some of this fanbase to make some think that he's a key cog in the NJ machine.

I get that market prices dictated that he get paid $3M/yr. - which he's clearly not worth on a dollar basis.

But, if you can get Suter, Enstrom, Vishnovsky, or such (which yes, is all probably impossible - we know) for Greene and other pieces - why not do it?

If Suter is going to make $6+ = is Andy Greene worth even half the player Ryan Suter is?

Just my 2 cents.

I wish I could bottle whatever voo-doo magic Andy Greene has done to some of this fanbase to make some think that he's a key cog in the NJ machine.

I get that market prices dictated that he get paid $3M/yr. - which he's clearly not worth on a dollar basis.

But, if you can get Suter, Enstrom, Vishnovsky, or such (which yes, is all probably impossible - we know) for Greene and other pieces - why not do it?

If Suter is going to make $6+ = is Andy Greene worth even half the player Ryan Suter is?

Just my 2 cents.

You just answered your own question. It is impossible to turn Andy Greene into those guys.

I think the Devils have certainly missed Andy Greene. Foster has been awful 5-on-5, and I'd be scared to see him in the lineup come playoff time. Greene's a guy the Devils need right now.

it'll be better to have greene and foster as the 7th dman come playoffs just in case imo

the thing that keeps coming to mind is 2010 playoffs and how nervous skoula made me...philly made him look bad and my "sense" is foster will be the closest to making me feel that way

besides i don't think you move greene because what value could you get for this season...if you could move him i personally would pick a proven rw with size who is physical

and yeah if you could pull a suter like player i would trade greene but thats silly

Besides all of that, all that the Devils have in terms of defensemen right now are "nickels" and "dimes" (I suppose that you could, and probably should, classify Larsson as a "quarter", simply based on the fact that he's still something of a prospect), and everyone (with the possible exception of Mike Milbury :rolleyes:) knows that you don't trade a quarter for 2 nickels and a dime.

Lou does seem to have a knack for turning two nickels into a dime on a fairly regular basis though, which is kinda what's created this whole discussion right here.

Edited by ohms law

While I normally never take Bleacher Report seriously I was reading a speculation article (as 90% of B.R.'s articles are) on how the Devils should go after Islanders captain Mark Streit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1010752-nhl-trade-speculation-mark-streit-a-perfect-fit-for-the-devils

With Streit's cap hit being only 4 mil would it be a realistic option? Maybe package Greene and a prospect or two and picks (our Washington pick comes to mind)

Just my 2 cents.

Well, my response was directed towards the idea of getting a RW in return...I should have noted that. The point is you want to be stacked on D to go deep in the playoffs and no one should think that because we are winning right now, that anybody not in the lineup is expendable. As for an argument not to trade Greene at all...ok: he is a great price for high quality defense. I know what I get with him and none of the guys you listed are a sure thing to come in and play well. Keeping them of course would cost a pretty penny more than the deal we get for Andy.

All in all if you get one of those guys for Greene, it's not much of an upgrade - why do it at all? I mean, I wouldn't really care - but it's pointless.

Edited by ben00rs

Well, my response was directed towards the idea of getting a RW in return...I should have noted that. The point is you want to be stacked on D to go deep in the playoffs and no one should think that because we are winning right now, that anybody not in the lineup is expendable. As for an argument not to trade Greene at all...ok: he is a great price for high quality defense. I know what I get with him and none of the guys you listed are a sure thing to come in and play well. Keeping them of course would cost a pretty penny more than the deal we get for Andy.

All in all if you get one of those guys for Greene, it's not much of an upgrade - why do it at all? I mean, I wouldn't really care - but it's pointless.

Understood. Agree on all points -except-

Either Enstrom or Vish would be a significant upgrade over Greene.

Enstrom is a solid 1A with some potential yet. Vishnovsky is a good 1A with more offense. The True #1 is rare an unavailable.

Both of these guys would immediately bring whoever they are paired with up a level.

Still pipe dreams, as I doubt we have enough to bring either and the cost for keeping them in future years is an issue.

However, since the True Stud #1 is usually never available Lou might have to get creative and come down a half of level to better the defense for a few years until Larsson is ready to inherit the mantle.

Greene on his best day is 4/5 man on a Cup team - regardless of what ice time he's been given.

there is some good proverb for that situation

"bestness is an enemy of goodness" (really don`t know how it`s on english)

now we have working mechanism

Last 20 games (14-5-1):

- 61 Goals For, 3.05 G/G

- 12-for-63 on the PP, 19.0%

- 54 Goals Against, 2.70 GA/G

First 25 games (12-12-1):

- 57 Goals For, 2.28 G/G

- 11-for-91 on the PP, 12.1%

- 71 Goals Allowed, 2.84 GA/G

with working PP, for what we put foster

and now SA/G is 27.4(3-4 rank in the league)

why we must to put green in top 6 and change something?

According to the official scorers (for what that's worth), Foster is better than most other current Devil's defensemen in terms of giveaways:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122NJDDADALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

He doesn't get to pucks he probably would turn over. His coverage below the goal line is abysmal.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I like the idea of dressing seven defensemen once Greene comes back. Our fourth line has been consistently useless all season, so why not just use it as a placeholder for a double-shifted Kovy and/or Parise? Then keep Foster on the 1st PP unit and let Greene step in for the 5-on-5 and maybe take 2nd PP duty from Fayne. I think we miss Greene on the 2nd PK unit as well.

He's unspectacular, but relatively sound. Keep him around, IMO.

If by not moveable you mean they can't do without him, that's one thing but technically he's moveable since they moved Oduya around the same point into signing a long-term deal. I'd rather not see the Devils make it a habit...but it will be interesting to see what happens when (if?) Greene comes back, assuming nobody else gets hurt by then - which is a big assumption. With a healthy lineup, you'd have to figure Foster gets benched, but the PP has finally started to look NHL-caliber recently, do you really want to mess with it?

No, my point was that Greene will have just come back from injury. I don't think there's a team that would take a chance on a guy with 3 years left on his deal who hasn't played in 2+ months.

Either Enstrom or Vish would be a significant upgrade over Greene.

Enstrom is a solid 1A with some potential yet. Vishnovsky is a good 1A with more offense. The True #1 is rare an unavailable.

Both of these guys would immediately bring whoever they are paired with up a level.

Still pipe dreams, as I doubt we have enough to bring either and the cost for keeping them in future years is an issue.

However, since the True Stud #1 is usually never available Lou might have to get creative and come down a half of level to better the defense for a few years until Larsson is ready to inherit the mantle.

Greene on his best day is 4/5 man on a Cup team - regardless of what ice time he's been given.

I don't know for sure they are significant upgrades. Offensively they will be definitely. But these guys are not completely consistent players and I really don't know what they'll do moving to a new team mid-season. I like both Enstrom and Visnovsky and would be excited just because they would be a Devil but in reality I don't see them adding many wins nor do I have any idea how they'll handle playoffs.

Again, it's cool to get them but I'm not sure that the effort of making the transaction is even worth it. I mean if you get a great deal, go for it.

there is some good proverb for that situation

"bestness is an enemy of goodness" (really don`t know how it`s on english)

now we have working mechanism

with working PP, for what we put foster

and now SA/G is 27.4(3-4 rank in the league)

why we must to put green in top 6 and change something?

This.

I know statistics are flawed, but these stats back up what I've seen. The d isn't worse with Foster than Greene. We're not talking about trading a top 4 guy for a winger. We're losing a decent bottom pairing guy on a team that has a lot of decent bottom pairing guys for a right winger on a team with very few, unless Palmieri, Tedenby (at least this year) and Zharkov impress you.

No, my point was that Greene will have just come back from injury. I don't think there's a team that would take a chance on a guy with 3 years left on his deal who hasn't played in 2+ months.

this i disagree with. greene's a known commodity and the years left aren't that big a deal because of the injury. it's a toe - not a knee or something like that.