Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scottie2Hottie

would a third Jersey boost team revenue?

42 posts in this topic

I know there is no chance at getting a third Jersey with Lou around, but from a marketing standpoint, would it boost revenue for the teams $80 million debt? Maybe it wouldn't make a huge , and maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm just curious on your opinions. I for one would welcome some visual change.

I'm not even joking when I say I wondered the exact same thing just the other day. My question would be how would the costs offset sales. [Obviously, I wasn't an economics major]

It's an interesting discussion, but think of it this way. It's a one time bump, and with all of the hands in the till, I'm sure it's not that mega of a bump to the team.

Any money that can be made would help. Does the nhl have a policy where all teams get a bit of merchandise sales like baseball. Or do the respective teams keep what they sell.

Any money that can be made would help. Does the nhl have a policy where all teams get a bit of merchandise sales like baseball. Or do the respective teams keep what they sell.

Again, coming from zero economics backgrounds, I believe its keep all you make.

Any additional revenue is good revenue, as long as they make money and not lose it. Problem is the keeping of the "traditionalist" mentality some remembers of the front office have.

I think its something like any jerseys sold in the stadium is yours. But when ordered off nhl.com and other similar sites, it goes into a pool and divided among 30 teams. I could be wrong though

What would it look like? Im not a person of design but I love the black practice jerseys maybe add the old school string ties and maybe a touch of another color? Any suggestions?

I think its something like any jerseys sold in the stadium is yours. But when ordered off nhl.com and other similar sites, it goes into a pool and divided among 30 teams. I could be wrong though

I assume Reebok and the league both get a cut as well.

In order to get the full effect of the 3rd jersey, it'd have to be a brand new logo. They couldn't just do a black version of the current jerseys and still expect a great revenue rise. With a new logo, you'd sell jerseys, hats, pucks, the whole shebang and the profit margin would be significantly higher.

In order to get the full effect of the 3rd jersey, it'd have to be a brand new logo. They couldn't just do a black version of the current jerseys and still expect a great revenue rise. With a new logo, you'd sell jerseys, hats, pucks, the whole shebang and the profit margin would be significantly higher.

I agree with you. It was just a piece of concept art I enjoyed. However, being a team called the "Devils", we already have the reputation (at least around where I live) as a Satanic Symbol team because apparently PA folks have no idea what the Jersey Devil is. So what route do you think they'd take? I'm all for a new look, as much as I love the NJ logo that we have. I just think a spark in creativity for the team would spark more interest in the team.

I agree with you. It was just a piece of concept art I enjoyed. However, being a team called the "Devils", we already have the reputation (at least around where I live) as a Satanic Symbol team because apparently PA folks have no idea what the Jersey Devil is. So what route do you think they'd take? I'm all for a new look, as much as I love the NJ logo that we have. I just think a spark in creativity for the team would spark more interest in the team.

Don't worry, Ohio folk don't know about the Jersey Devil either. The girlfriends extremely religious parents hate when I wear my Devils gear so I do it quite frequently. Anyways, I'm not one for the creativity either but they'd probably have to roll with the trident or NJ Devil's head. I'd be okay with "New Jersey" going diagonal down the front but that's too close to the Rags so I doubt it'd happen.

The Devils have the image of a classic team. Teams that have not significantly changed their logos/images in an effort to modernize: Rangers, Red Wings, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Devils. Every other team has gone through a phase, and most of them have come back to the original look or something close to it (think Isles, Penguins, Sabres, Capitals). I guess the Devils could do a lame modern third jersey that would last 2-3 years in an attempt to boost revenue, but I'd hate to see them do something idiotic that would ruin the branding that makes the Devils seem like a classic team.

2 people like this

The Devils have the image of a classic team. Teams that have not significantly changed their logos/images in an effort to modernize: Rangers, Red Wings, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, Devils. Every other team has gone through a phase, and most of them have come back to the original look or something close to it (think Isles, Penguins, Sabres, Capitals). I guess the Devils could do a lame modern third jersey that would last 2-3 years in an attempt to boost revenue, but I'd hate to see them do something idiotic that would ruin the branding that makes the Devils seem like a classic team.

This. The jersey coupled with 3 Cups makes it iconic.

Are there restrictions when making a jersey? Every team has a simple crest dead center.. can a team make a jersey with an off kilter logo?

Are there restrictions when making a jersey? Every team has a simple crest dead center.. can a team make a jersey with an off kilter logo?

Warning: Really ugly jerseys below...

st-louis-blues-third-jersey.jpg

kingsthirdjersey.jpg

wj-ana.jpg

canucks_jersey_7884.jpg

Edited by David Puddy

I kinda like em. minus the canucks one. thanks for the photos!

The green Canucks one with the stick and rink? I thought that one was kinda cool. Sort of Whalers-esque