Langs

MadDog2020

I'd give him no reaction if I saw him in public, just like I'd do with any of the players.

I'vs cheered him for all the good things he's done in his career as a Devil already. I'm choosing not to boo him for the poor play and locker room antics at the end. Seems fair to me.

I don't know why you put so much stalk into what Mario Tremblay has to say. He's a tool who lost respect of the entire team when he texted Pandolfo about being scratched. Really classy thing to do to a 11-year veteran of the team.

Jamie did some bad things he'd probably regret. So do many athletes professionally and personally behind the scenes. But why is he getting all the blame from you. I am not just a Jamie nuthugger. The trade was a good move for the Devils moving forward. But Lemaire was a stubborn jerk too. What NHL coach scratches a captain of 3 years and offers it to a a veteran teammate for that game? And it never went down because the team had Jamie's back. Just like they had his back in the playoffs when everyone couldn't wait for Lemaire to get out of town.

Maybe it was time for all those veterans to go, and by now, they pretty much all have. But I'm not going to remember that year about any players or Lemaire moving forward. Just the good times.

And I don't think that the turnaround was to do with Jamie leaving. Jamie had to do with the structure and systems of the team. And him going made them all of a sudden an elite defensive team? And once again, if he was a locker room disease like many suggest, why would he host the team's Syper Bowl party after he got dealt and spoke about so highly by our young stars?

Edited by devilsrule33

They had Jamie's back in the playoffs....by quitting en masse against the Flyers the way he did?

I guess I don't remember the 2010 playoffs like you do. They lost to a pretty good team that went to 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And if I remember correctly, they absolutely dominated game 1 of the playoffs but Boucher played insane as they lost 2-1. And lost in OT of game 3 by a sh!tty Carcillo goal. Easily could have been up 3-0 to the Flyers.

It hurt that they couldn't score a powerplay goal to save their lives even when they got 8 a game.

I don't know why you put so much stalk into what Mario Tremblay has to say. He's a tool who lost respect of the entire team when he texted Pandolfo about being scratched. Really classy thing to do to a 11-year veteran of the team.

Because he was the assistant coach on the team? Lemaire didn't even want Langs to be the captain, but I guess we should ignore what he wanted as well? You want to call Tremblay a tool and talk about how unclassy he is, but want to ignore anything Langenbrunner did.

What NHL coach scratches a captain of 3 years and offers it to a a veteran teammate for that game?

I'd have to go back but there were plenty of example at the time of that happening before.

Just the good times.

That's your prerogative, I'll remember everything rather than purposefully ignore the bad stuff.

And I don't think that the turnaround was to do with Jamie leaving.

I don't either, but I also don't think Lemaire coming on board was a magic trigger as well. If someone wants to point to a change that happened right before winning, it was Langs leaving, though.

And once again, if he was a locker room disease like many suggest, why would he host the team's Syper Bowl party after he got dealt and spoke about so highly by our young stars?

Because the players like him personally, even though the coaches believed he wasn't creating a conducive atmosphere for winning in the locker room.

---------------------------------------------

You can go ahead and cheer Langenbrunner, I'm not going to tell you not to. I personally am not going to cheer or boo.

Edited by Devils731

Want to guarantee he won't get booed? Spread this around:

Langs and Zach Parise were very close friends. You don't want to piss Zach off by boo'ing Langs :headless chicken:

Of course I personally don't think Zach would give a sh!t either way, but the average fan would probably buy into that.

I don't know, but I think players notice stuff like that. ... Not that it should be the deciding factor whether or not one boos or cheers him.

lol let Zach worry about getting the fans to cheer him instead of worrying about how Jamie is looked at by the fans. Is booing Jamie really anywhere near as bad as cheering a hurt Weekes on the ice? We've done some goofy stuff in the past but he's also seen three number raisings and how we do treat Patty and Marty.

Besides, if Zach was in a number of other places, the microscope would be on him big-time for almost losing the game yesterday with a lack of clock awareness.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Because he was the assistant coach on the team? Lemaire didn't even want Langs to be the captain, but I guess we should ignore what he wanted as well? You want to call Tremblay a tool and talk about how unclassy he is, but want to ignore anything Langenbrunner did.

I'd have to go back but there were plenty of example at the time of that happening before.

That's your prerogative, I'll remember everything rather than purposefully ignore the bad stuff.

I don't either, but I also don't think Lemaire coming on board was a magic trigger as well. If someone wants to point to a change that happened right before winning, it was Langs leaving, though.

Because the players like him personally, even though the coaches believed he wasn't creating a conducive atmosphere for winning in the locker room.

---------------------------------------------

You can go ahead and cheer Langenbrunner, I'm not going to tell you not to. I personally am not going to cheer or boo.

I guess that is better than the booing crowd. I'm not purposely trying to forget the bad, but just think the good times and the success always outweighs the bad. And so does Lou who really hasn't held a grudge against anyone that the fans have (Holik, Sykora, Arnott, Mogilny, Maclean, Driver, etc.)

I think Tremblay is a bit of a tool for many reasons. The whole Roy thing is a pretty good example. If you want to switch captaincy, there has to be a better way though. You have to have respect of the veterans and the captain has to be pissing off a lot of people. I don't think either things happened. Just remember how ugly the end of 2010 was, and how not one person here wanted Lemaire back. We celebrated when he "retired" as we called it.

But even after all that, just like Jamie, I'd still cheer Lemaire again and again, and if I saw him in person I'd extend my hand and thank him for everything he did for the organization. I'm not arguing that Jamie wasn't an issue. He was. I just forgive and forget pretty easily I guess, especially when that player gave so much.

I guess this argument has reached the end. Just that in professional sports, things usually don't end well with players and teams. Very few get to stay on one team for their entire careers. Perfect endings rarely happen, but it be a shame if those endings affected all the relationships for good. I wish fans could move on as well as Lou has in the past. Jamie shouldn't be just another player that walks through NJ.

But Lemaire was a stubborn jerk too. What NHL coach scratches a captain of 3 years and offers it to a a veteran teammate for that game?

Ah Christ, not this again.

Lemaire did it whenever Stevens was out. He also never kept the C on any one player's sweater for more than a couple months in Minnesota. Burns did it in NJ too. Hell, that's how Niedermayer got the C. Both of these guys are multiple Jack Adams winners with Stanley Cup rings. I think they knew a thing or two about coaching.

Only in the Devils' dysfunctional late-2000s locker room would this be an issue. There's a reason Lou's spent the last couple years cleaning house. How anyone can still place any blame on Lemaire after the near miracle he pulled with a Langs-less locker room last season absolutely blows my mind.

If anyone is planning on booing him or giving him no reaction...a quick question. If you saw him walking down the street, would you walk right by him or even stop and say, "I am very disappointed with how things turned out with you and the Devils and that overshadows any good you ever did here." Doubt it. Most would probably shake his hand, ask for a picture and say thanks for everything you did." Am I wrong?

I wouldn't. I have bad feelings. I acknowledge the great things he did, and feel that I owe him courtesy if nothing else due to those, but he fvcked up badly at tne end. He's not a scumbag like Gomez whom I would curse out if I met, but he's a step down from a guy like Rafalski, who left for a better situation with no bad blood.

Only in the Devils' dysfunctional late-2000s locker room would this be an issue. There's a reason Lou's spent the last couple years cleaning house. How anyone can still place any blame on Lemaire after the near miracle he pulled with a Langs-less locker room last season absolutely blows my mind.

What he said.

Langs was a cancer imo, but, as I said previously in this thread, time to move past it.

Politely clap if his name is mentioned, whatever.

Ah Christ, not this again.

Lemaire did it whenever Stevens was out. He also never kept the C on any one player's sweater for more than a couple months in Minnesota. Burns did it in NJ too. Hell, that's how Niedermayer got the C. Both of these guys are multiple Jack Adams winners with Stanley Cup rings. I think they knew a thing or two about coaching.

Hey DIG. I agree with most of your 2nd part. This what I wrote when the Devils bought out White:

And just to add one more thing. I think we're seeing Lou finally...finally...get what so many of us wanted over the years. To change the old guard, the coach killers, etc. It's just Brodeur and Elias...that's it. Even if Lou wanted to get rid of Elias (not seeing he wants to or ever would just it's almost impossible). Two players with rings. That might scare people, but I for one welcome our new inexperienced overlords. Clearly it wasn't working, and you can't be unhappy about Larry, Lou, Julien, Lou, Sutter, Lemaire, MacLean, Lemaire, Deboer, and then be unhappy with these moves. It took Lou long enough, but past success and loyalty turned into a combination of self-entitlement, groupthink, and then the disease of me.

Maybe it took Lou to see Claude Julien take an inexperienced Bruins team to the Cup finals to say maybe it was them and not the damn coach. It finally took Lou a few years to forget about the past and do what's right for this team to succeed moving forward. Follow the NFL route where veterans (no matter how successful in the past) are cut at the right time, which is as soon as they start to decline, or sometimes right before.

And maybe, I was guilty of this last year, but am finally seeing it a lot more clearer. A guy like Rolston might be the nicest guy in the locker room, and a guy like Jamie might be a great guy for the younger guys like Zach and Travis, but that doesn't mean that they deserve what they want, and it doesn't mean they can act the way they do. When you become a Devil, respecting the history, the crest on the front and not the name on the back, the team values, and so on is what you are taught and what you should follow. Guys like Pandolfo, Rolston, White, Langenbrunner, Arnott, Madden, even Elias are the players you respect. They are the veterans, the warriors, the champions But the reality is they were not acting like leaders. The last few years has not always been a good environment for younger players. And it probably was a partial reason why this team has gone in prolong slumps. Younger players were probably taking the wrong cues from veteran players.

As corny as it sounds, the past is almost finished being wiped away. It's time for a new beginning, a new generation and new leaders. This is an exciting time. There will be growing pains, and there will be bumps. But these bumps will be much better than the ones of the past 6 years. Because Lou and the Devils are doing it the right way.

Finally.

I am not blaming it all on Lemaire. I think Lemaire and Langs are both at fault, and didn't handle the situation well at all. And the situations you brought up aren;t relevant here. The Wild rotated captains on a very young team. Niedermayer became captain when Stevens looked to be done for the season. No one was hurt then, and there certainly wasn't any Scott Niedermayer on the team. Lemaire never scratched Scott Stevens either to give his captaincy away.

I like Lemaire a lot, but if you want the players to respect you, you don't treat the ultimate team guy in Jay Pandolfo like he did. Simple as that. You lose all respect when you do that.

The 2010 and 2011 seasons are so completely different that there is no point in comparing them. Love Jamie. Love Lemaire. Both have made mistakes, but both have done so much for the organization, that I'd never put a ton of blame on either, and I'd give them both huge ovations.

The Pandolfo thing again? The players had a lot more to worry about than what Jay Pandolfo was getting via text message.

Culturally is where you're missing the boat here, dr33. You're Canadian - hockey is part of the national identity there. Everyone knows someone whose cousin is a professional hockey player, or who played on some team with so and so who's in the NHL. That changes the mindset - hockey isn't revered here. Someone like Brian Elliott would never get a great crowd reaction here - he'd get nothing, probably. The guy was terrible for my team and then figured it out somewhere else? Not something to cheer for.

That said, I think you're being far, far too harsh on Devils fans, who applauded both Brian Gionta and John Madden when they returned recently.

If anyone boos Langs tmw they should be ashamed of themselves. He put in many great years with this team and helped us win a cup a long time ago now. He also was a terrific captain for the majority of his time here and showed great leadership and experience on the ice. Whatever ya'll wanna say, he never gave up on this team - that's in your heads. He simply got older and wasn't able to do as much on a weaker Devil team. I have so many good memories of Langs on our team from him raising the Cup to tying and then winning a game in OT a couple years back. If I could be there tmw I'd give him a standing O and let recent bygones be bygones.

Anyone that boo's langenbruner is just an embarressment to rest of us Devils fans. Also the incredibly stupid reasons they make up to find fault with him and other players that left. Grow the hell up!

Uh ya....Well let's spread the word now. Don't be a dick and boo Jamie.

@TGfireandice

Tom Gulitti

Parise hopes Langenbrunner will be cheered in his return to Prudential Center: Jamie Langenbrunner will return to...

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/parise_hopes_devils_fans_will_cheer_langenbrunner_in_his_return_to_prudential_center/

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3