Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

if brooks is to be believed, the league may have put the kibosh on this deal because the devils would be increasing salary and they're not happy about it.

Not sure if I would believe him, but it certainly makes sense given the financial situation and how our owners are feuding. I wonder how much input the league has in things like this when they haven't taken control of the team yet.

I could see them being upset about salary for next year, but this would only be an increase of $900,000 for this year. The fact that the Wild had scouts at the last two Devils' games seems to suggest otherwise - that the two teams may still be interested in dealing. I can't see the Wild being buyers and the last two teams they played were decidedly sellers.

Edited by Triumph

If ya'll are telling me that the league rejected the trade because we are increasing salary then I just can't believe it. Do they expect us not to make a Cup run?

That would not surprise me given that the league hates the devils. Bettman must be loathing the fact we are 4th in the conference right now

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Kind of a ballsy move by the league considering they've been letting Phoenix make trades for the last couple of years.

It's a different scenario. The NHL owns the team, which has to continue to operate and make every effort to be competitive. I read somewhere that the NHL gives the Coyotes a budget before 7/1 each season, and they are expected to keep within it. If, for some reason, Phoenix wants to add salary during the season that would put them over that budget, them must first get the leagues' approval before they can make the transaction.

Here, the Devils are trying to work out their money issues without having the league take over the team. Adding salary, when you are already $80 million in debt and looking for investors in a minority share of the team isn't necessarily the best idea, and I'm sure Count Chocula reminded the team of it once those rumors started surfacing. Whether he would have the power to kill the deal or not if the Devils insisted it go through is another story.