Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

Little wet blanket here...but why was Torres even out there? Guess it's time to harp on the training staff again...but he wasn't "right" for most of spring training...maybe it would've been best to play it safe and 15 day him to start the season instead of running him out there and getting hurt right away? because who knows how long it will be now, if there are any "setbacks" etc

thought the stadium looked great. Definitely more met like, love the new dimensions and uniforms

Edited by '7'

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gonna enjoy this while it lasts!

loved Duda's 1st home run. You hit it that hard, that far, to that part of the ballpark and it should go out.

Braves are a proud franchise, but they seem to be sleepwalking. I don't think it will be long until they start making overtures to Bobby Cox about a potential return.

Edited by '7'

2-0!

Wright has yet to strike out, hits a dinger today...this will be fun for as long as it lasts.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Last minute tix to the game for tomorrow! Pretty excited with what has happened the last two days. Gotta keep it going.

A sweep against the Braves to begin the season would be a hell of a start indeed.

Without a doubt. Very pleased with him today.

Boy this team can mash. Wright and Murphy with another good day, Duda doing alright (tough drop), and Ruben Tejada looking great. Perhaps the best of all is Davis is struggling. I say this to point out that the offense still has a key cog without any production yet. Hell even Bay looked alright today.

Looking forward, I would like to think we could beat the Nats 4/5 starters and then you get to turn the rotation over again. Very feel-good start, can't remember the last time I was generally happy with being a Mets fan.

Without a doubt. Very pleased with him today.

Boy this team can mash. Wright and Murphy with another good day, Duda doing alright (tough drop), and Ruben Tejada looking great. Perhaps the best of all is Davis is struggling. I say this to point out that the offense still has a key cog without any production yet. Hell even Bay looked alright today.

Looking forward, I would like to think we could beat the Nats 4/5 starters and then you get to turn the rotation over again. Very feel-good start, can't remember the last time I was generally happy with being a Mets fan.

3-0...yeah, fun fun start for sure.

You can see the holes...clearly this team could be rough defensively. But we're having some FUN...this is all I could've asked for.

Nice to see the Mets get off to a solid start for you fans. Well deserved.

Bit of a role reversal, huh? Get used to it. :P just kidding I respect the Yanks, I'm sure they will get it together.

A couple more thoughts:

a. Tomorrow is a pretty big day. Pelf is a wildcard, if he can channel 2010 then this team could be for real. However, it's probably more likely he is scrap heap by the all star break.

b. I wonder how Turner plays into the mix? I want to keep him fresh and get him some at bats.

Bit of a role reversal, huh? Get used to it. :P just kidding I respect the Yanks, I'm sure they will get it together.

A couple more thoughts:

a. Tomorrow is a pretty big day. Pelf is a wildcard, if he can channel 2010 then this team could be for real. However, it's probably more likely he is scrap heap by the all star break.

b. I wonder how Turner plays into the mix? I want to keep him fresh and get him some at bats.

Unfortunately, Pelfrey is what he is; his strikeout, walk, and groundball rates have hardly swayed over the years and there's no reason to think that'll change now.

What could make or break him is his how lucky his homerun prevention is. In 2008 and 2010, ~6% of his flyballs turned to homeruns, which went a long way in making him look pretty good. However, in 2009 and 2011, ~9% of his flyballs turned to homeruns, and he was pretty poor in both of those years. If you want something a little more concrete, we're talking about a difference of about 8 more flyballs turning to homeruns between Pelfrey's good years and bad ones.

Note that I said "lucky" homerun prevention; the bad news is, unless you're just an exception to the rule (like Matt Cain), which Pelfrey clearly isn't, the amount of homeruns per flyballs you give up is not really something a pitcher has control over. Additionally, it's always safe to assume regression to the mean (league average), which is usually around 9-10% for this statistic. Yeah, that 9% figure rings a bell, right? That's Pelfrey's homerun per flyball rate in 2009 and 2011, his down years.

But can't a pitcher-friendly home park help? Yes, it can help with posting a lower homerun per flyball rate than league average and that's basically why Pelfrey has looked pretty good at times in the past. Just look at his career splits for the statistic:

Career home: 5.3%

Career road: 10.7%

But the good news is that he's still pitching in a friendly home park, right? Well, not exactly; Citi's walls have been moved in, which won't help his cause, and even Citi's older, friendlier dimensions weren't enough to salvage Pelfrey's homerun per flyball rate in 2009 and 2011.

So yeah, we're just going to have to hope Pelfrey finds some good fortune whenever the ball goes into the air, otherwise his performance is probably going to suffer.

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah, Pelf is what he is. Kind of hard to think some big improvement is coming...

God does Bay suck...

EDIT: Did you see that Jason? That's called a big hit you useless zilch!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Terry Collins is an idiot for leaving Batista in vs the heart of the Nats order. Totally predictable that Espinosa and Zimmerman would reach base against him.

Batista shouldn't even be on a ML roster, let alone pitching in high leverage spots. Ugh.

I gotta give some props to Pelfrey too. The overall line wasn't sexy, but he walked just one and tied a career-high in strikeouts with 8, which was supported by a lovely 13 swinging strikes, and he also got a lot of groundballs; these are good things. It's only one start so I doubt it really means anything, and he dominated the Nationals in a similar fashion last September, but hey, credit where credit is due.

Edited by nmigliore

I gotta give some props to Pelfrey too. The overall line wasn't sexy, but he walked just one and tied a career-high in strikeouts with 8, which was supported by a lovely 13 swinging strikes, and he also got a lot of groundballs; these are good things. It's only one start so I doubt it really means anything, and he dominated the Nationals in a similar fashion last September, but hey, credit where credit is due.

The best thing that could be said about Pelf is that he didn't implode.

Mets are 4-0 with Ike Davis going 0-for-15. Pretty amazing if you stop and think about it.

Just going to enjoy this for however long it lasts.

Tonight's lineup:

Tejada (SS)

Cedeno (3B)

Murphy (2B)

Bay (LF)

Duda (RF)

Turner (1B)

Hairston (CF)

Nickeas ©

This is seriously on par with a spring training road game lineup. I think TC pretty much conceded defeat tonight, yikes.

Edit: X-rays didn't come back yet, according to all of the beat writers. In fact, he didn't even have one yet. It could be a broken pinkie. Adam Rubin, in his blog, thinks Wright will be out until Friday at the earliest.

Edited by nmigliore