Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

They somehow pulled this one out, down 4-0. Great job by the bullpen.

That's 2 unexpected wins in a series I might've bet on them getting swept in (or at the very least losing 2 out of 3). Awesome. I'd love the sweep tomorrow but either way, I'm just so happy they won another series in Philly, especially one that looked incredibly bleak coming into it.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They somehow pulled this one out, down 4-0. Great job by the bullpen.

That's 2 unexpected wins in a series I might've bet on them getting swept in (or at the very least losing 2 out of 3). Awesome. I'd love the sweep tomorrow but either way, I'm just so happy they won another series in Philly, especially one that looked incredibly bleak coming into it.

Yeah, they have a way of surprising so far in this young season. I would've signed up for 17-13 through 30 GP in a heartbeat. That's a 92-win pace.

And how about their records against their division rivals?

4-1 against Philthy

4-2 against Atlanta

3-0 against Florida

1-2 against Washington

12-5 against the East so far.

May 24 is the start of a nice 11-game homestand...it'd be great if the Mets could hover around 3-4 over .500 until then.

SWEEP!

Pretty unbelievable. I'm obviously much more focused on the Devils right now, but the Mets are sure making this a potentially fun year. For me it's just the battle to stay above .500...they've ensured they should be there for at least a couple of weeks more.

This clown we got closing out games...reminds me too much of Benitez. He's always been a big time choke artist with lots of blown saves every year (and lots in few opportunities) tonight should've been Rauch. 1 run game you have to go with Rauch.

Edited by '7'

This clown we got closing out games...reminds me too much of Benitez. He's always been a big time choke artist with lots of blown saves every year (and lots in few opportunities) tonight should've been Rauch. 1 run game you have to go with Rauch.

C'mon, this is a classic second-guess. If Francisco gets it done last night, you don't say a word about Rauch.

Rauch is nothing special either. Francisco is obviously a pretty "meh" closer, but he was a stop-gap type anyway. He was also 8-of-9 in save opportunities this season, and he was brought here to close. Three years ago he was 25-for-29, last season he was 17-for-21. Not lights-out, but still pretty good. And considering where the Mets were expected to be this year, the Mets weren't looking for an elite closer, nor should they have been.

If the Mets continue to surprise and are actually contending for either a WC berth or the divison, who knows, maybe Alderson will look to upgrade, if the price isn't too crazy...but that's getting way ahead of ourselves. Ay any rate, every team suffers losses like last night's...too bad, in that the Mets did a great job battling back and coming up with some big hits.

Rauch is probably the worst reliever in the bullpen. This is a guy who posted an ERA near 5 last season and was 11 of 16 in save chances (if you're into that sort of thing); Francisco, to compare, was 17 of 21 last season. Furthermore, Rauch's swinging strike rate and strikeout rate are terribly low. He'll have to miss more bats for me to have any comfort in him in high leverage spots.

At least Benitez would save every game until the end of August :lol:

The Mets' bullpen is what it is, a bunch of guys that can be decent middle relievers and setup guys but not an elite closer, and as CR said it wasn't a high priority this year anyway.

No more fransisco in the 9th

It didn't bother me that he got hit today...that happens, closers slump, and some of them have a way of bouncing back (it's pretty amazing that Francisco didn't get credited with a blown save today...that dishonor went to Acosta). But Francisco came unglued and lost his cool way too easily today. Supposedly Collins is already re-evaluating Francisco's status as the Met closer, which is kind of disastrous just 34 games into the season...especially since there really isn't anywhere better to go.

If it's not Francisco you just know Rauch will get the call and he's worse. I know the numbers don't reflect it yet, but trust me, Rauch ISN'T the guy you want in the 9th. Parnell would make perfect sense; he's probably the best reliever in the bullpen. Collins doesn't seem to be crazy for him though.

Edited by nmigliore

If it's not Francisco you just know Rauch will get the call and he's worse. I know the numbers don't reflect it yet, but trust me, Rauch ISN'T the guy you want in the 9th. Parnell would make perfect sense; he's probably the best reliever in the bullpen. Collins doesn't seem to be crazy for him though.

If Collins decides to take Francisco out of the closer's role, I would give Parnell another shot. It sucks that the Mets were only two completed saves away from a 6-0 road trip and a 21-13 record, but that shouldn't take the focus away from what is a rebuilding year. Parnell has potential closer's stuff and he's young...might as well see if he has a closer's heart too. If it means the Mets lose some games they should win, so be it...it's not like the closer's spot is the only area of the bullpen giving the Mets problems right now.

If Collins decides to take Francisco out of the closer's role, I would give Parnell another shot. It sucks that the Mets were only two completed saves away from a 6-0 road trip and a 21-13 record, but that shouldn't take the focus away from what is a rebuilding year. Parnell has potential closer's stuff and he's young...might as well see if he has a closer's heart too. If it means the Mets lose some games they should win, so be it...it's not like the closer's spot is the only area of the bullpen giving the Mets problems right now.

Well you gotta say this about Collins, he holds people accountable...that's probably a main reason why the Mets have overachieved for the most part in his tenure.

But yeah I'd rather see Parnell get a shot, as much as he'd make me nervous in the closer role it's not like they have anything better and he's the only plausible long-term solution we 'might' have there.

really starting to worry about Ike. Is he still out of sync from missing so much time last year?

pretty sure this game was played in front of exclusively islander fans

Edited by '7'

really starting to worry about Ike. Is he still out of sync from missing so much time last year?

pretty sure this game was played in front of exclusively islander fans

Yeah, Ike just looks bad.

Collins did the right thing in sticking with Francisco...he's here for the next two seasons...he's far from being a lights-out guy, but it's too early to bail on him, especially at what he's making. But I also think his leash probably isn't very long.

I didn't see any of tonight's game but it looks like Gee just had a bad night. It happens. Believe it or not, his peripherals are fantastic; even though his results have been rather bad, there are a lot of positives to take away from his start to the season so far. He may be more than just a #4 or #5 starter. Maybe.

Anyway, I'd have gladly signed up for a split of this series; I figured they had no chance yesterday with Batista against Gallardo and I didn't like our chances much better tonight with Greinke on the mound.

I didn't see any of tonight's game but it looks like Gee just had a bad night. It happens. Believe it or not, his peripherals are fantastic; even though his results have been rather bad, there are a lot of positives to take away from his start to the season so far. He may be more than just a #4 or #5 starter. Maybe.

Anyway, I'd have gladly signed up for a split of this series; I figured they had no chance yesterday with Batista against Gallardo and I didn't like our chances much better tonight with Greinke on the mound.

Gee has had his share of bad nights for quite a while now. SNY had a graphic up...since late June last year, he's 8-9 with an ERA well over 5.00. I'm sure there's some goofy sabermetric somewhere that will make that look better than it is, and I do see that he has a very good BB-to-K ratio so far this season, but I'd be stunned if he ever became anything more than a meh #4 or #5 at best. He's been hittable for what's coming up on a full season's worth of starts.

I'm sure there's some goofy sabermetric somewhere that will make that look better than it is, and I do see that he has a very good BB-to-K ratio so far this season... but I'd be stunned if he ever became anything more than a meh #4 or #5 at best. He's been hittable for what's coming up on a full season's worth of starts.

Goofy? It's about what a pitcher has under his control. And, as I've said so many times, these numbers have much more predictive qualities than does "being hittable" or ERA. He's running a 4+ K/BB with a groundball rate higher than 50% right now. That's outstanding, Dan Haren-like. He won't sustain this kind of pace of course, but it's encouraging. His swinging strike rate this season, a stat that stabilizes quickly, has been the same as Clayton Kershaw's and Matt Garza's. His outside-the-strikezone swing rate is a MLB-leading (among starters) 36.8%.

As for being hittable, that's because the Mets' defense isn't any good. They are pretty much last in whichever defensive metric you choose to look at; 5th worst in defensive efficiency, worst in UZR, and 2nd worst in DRS.

Edited by nmigliore

Goofy? It's about what a pitcher has under his control. And, as I've said so many times, these numbers have much more predictive qualities than does "being hittable" or ERA. He's running a 4+ K/BB with a groundball rate higher than 50% right now. That's outstanding, Dan Haren-like. He won't sustain this kind of pace of course, but it's encouraging. His swinging strike rate this season, a stat that stabilizes quickly, has been the same as Clayton Kershaw's and Matt Garza's. His outside-the-strikezone swing rate is a MLB-leading (among starters) 36.8%.

As for being hittable, that's because the Mets' defense isn't any good. They are pretty much last in whichever defensive metric you choose to look at; 5th worst in defensive efficiency, worst in UZR, and 2nd worst in DRS.

Santana has given up 31 hits in 37 IP (2.92 ERA), Dickey has given up 41 hits in 44.1 IP (3.65 ERA), and Niese has allowed 33 hits in 39.2 IP (3.40 ERA). Gee has allowed 53 hits in 43 IP (5.65 ERA). Not saying that the Mets defense is doing Gee or anyone else on the mound any favors, but the other starters seem to be coping with it.

This is a problem with sabermetrics...pick the right ones and you can make almost anyone look better than he's really been (see last year's Wright). Gee might have outlier-type numbers that look good, but he has not been good.

btw they're having the 2013 All-Star game at Citi Field. Not a big fan of going to the game itself (especially at the price it would likely be), but it'd be nice to take part of some of the fan events during the week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The announcement was pretty anticlimactic since it was "unofficially officially" mentioned at least 2 or 3 years ago. Anyway, I'm excited for the event. I'm unsure how the ticketing works (first dibs to season ticket holders?), but I'd love to get something for one of the events, whether it's the actual All-Star Game, the Homerun Derby, or the Future's Game. Plus all of the other fan events they have around the city.

Horrible loss. This one is all on Terry too. His bullpen management was absolutely a joke; he went to Parnell in the 7th who got a big strikeout. Parnell's spot didn't come up in the batting order in the bottom half of the inning. So instead of leaving Parnell in, he goes right to Rauch. This made zero sense. Why wouldn't you leave Parnell in, especially with Votto batting behind the first batter (who you'd presumably go after with Byrdak and THEN bring in Rauch after that)? And then Collins makes matter worse by leaving Rauch in to face Votto after he gave up a leadoff single. Where is Byrdak? Oh, he pops up two batters later to face the pinch-hitting Jay Bruce. Really? WHERE WAS HE EARLIER? And then Collins goes to his mop-up man D.J. Carrasco who promptly gives up a homerun that puts the game out of reach.

Awful. Horrible. I can't explain how I'm disgusted I am with Collins. He totally punted that 8th inning. It was like he was TRYING to lose. Really.

The funny part is, I saw NONE of this. I had to follow via MLB Gameday along with the Devils' boxscore. I would have surely punched a hole threw the television.

Edited by nmigliore