Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where are those David Wright bashers these days?

You gotta admit, even if you want to maintain that the sabermetrics made him "good" last year, he wasn't...the guy was striking out on 85-mph fastballs. His numbers were down considerably across the board.

But it's funny that you posted this, because I was just about to post that the numbers he is putting up this season are just obscene. A .411 BA? A .513 OB%?! Not to mention a dazzling BB-to-K ratio to go with them. He's been a joy to watch for sure. Impossible not to be happy for him...I've been critical of him at times, but I've always hoped he would do well, and he does come off as a likable enough guy.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Funny that everyone thought he was at his best when he was just a blend-in guy and didn't have to be a leader, but with guys like Delgado and Beltran gone now Wright is the unquestioned leader and he's stepped it up big-time this year.

Doesn't hurt that Citi's now a real MLB park and not a cavern.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's a hockey theme going to Toronto; all the Mets are wearing hockey jerseys.

Justin Turner and Jon Niese: :(.

AtIMthPCEAELam6.jpg

AtIJ9EsCAAEPsZi.jpg

This is as conflicting as when Sean Avery was at a Mets game a couple years ago with a Mets jacket on.

Jason Bay is wearing a Hartford Whalers uniform.

Edited by nmigliore

meh, with Turner from CA and Niese from California...I doubt either care much about the Rangers. Prob just a "hey throw this, take a pic for that twitter thing"

Niese is from Ohio. But yeah, I don't think anybody really is an actual fan. Most of them just used a jersey of their hometown team (Torres was born in Paterson, NJ before moving to Puerto Rico so he picked the Devils, Baxter is from NY so he picked the Rangers, Dickey is from Tennessee so he picked Nashville, etc.). Anybody in between probably just threw on a Rangers jersey given where they are right now.

Funny enough, Howie Rose was wearing an Isles jersey.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't know how Rose has been able to do it for the last 17 years...grew up a huge Ranger fan. I often wonder if the Rags maybe lowballed him on a contract offer before he left for NYI in 1995...maybe he harbors some resentment that makes wearing Islander gear a bit easier

Awful night for Niese.

Aside: the Mets' starting staff has had just horrible homerun prevention luck. Their homerun per flyball ratio is the highest in the league (a shade under 14%) and that doesn't even include tonight's Niese debacle (4 homeruns). That's going to regress closer to league average (~9-10%) at some point.

Edited by nmigliore

Was on vacation the last week, only mets source was espn. Seems like it was real up and down. Hate seeing Turner with NYR stuff, turns out he is a pretty big fan. He posts about all the games and stuff on twitter. Was a swift kick in the nuts being one of my favorite players.

I wonder if it's that Valley Fever still affecting Ike...maybe he could use 15 days on the DL just to rest and gather his strength a bit.

Also, odd stat I heard on the radio...not 100% sure of what I heard but apparently the Mets bullpens have only blown 1 game for RA Dickey in the past 2 years!?

Great bounceback to win this series after dropping the opener the way they did. Dickey and Niese were just excellent.

They do keep finding a way to not crash and burn.

Wright slips to just under .400, at .399...just goes to show how hard it is to stay over .400. Not saying he's slumping, but 4 or 5 rough days can knock you down into the .370s before you blink...then the chase for .400 is essentially shot.

Oh yeah, and now the Mets have an 11-game homestand coming up. I'd love to see them pull off 7-4. They have a decent shot at it, though it's probably asking too much...6-5 would probably be more fair.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I wonder if it's that Valley Fever still affecting Ike...maybe he could use 15 days on the DL just to rest and gather his strength a bit.

Also, odd stat I heard on the radio...not 100% sure of what I heard but apparently the Mets bullpens have only blown 1 game for RA Dickey in the past 2 years!?

Yeah I was wondering that myself about Ike, since it supposedly ended another guy's career.

And that stat is correct, I heard Joe and Evan talking about it when they had Dickey on the radio this morning. It helps that Dickey tends to go deep into games, and like they said it's also an adjustment for hitters to face a knuckleball three times, then a conventional pitcher in the same game.

I don't think it has too much to do with the Valley Fever; Conor Jackson's case was much, much more severe. Ike looks physically fine and has rarely been sat for a breather relative to do him being tired or anything like that.

He's just been absolutely terrible though. He'll be in AAA sooner than later, sadly.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't think it has too much to do with the Valley Fever; Conor Jackson's case was much, much more severe. Ike looks physically fine and has rarely been sat for a breather relative to do him being tired or anything like that.

He's just been absolutely terrible though. He'll be in AAA sooner than later, sadly.

yea...I guess i'm just fishing for excuses for him. He's just such a hard worker and cares so damn much...every ab. Sucks to see him struggle like this

Great win by the Mets tonight, solid outing by Gee (ok so it was against a popgun Padres offense but they did get the bats going the other night)

not much about it here though...think there might have been some sort of hockey event?