GDT: Devils vs. Rags

ZeroGravityFat

Of course you never really expect that low an output against any given goaltender, but his career numbers against the Devils are pretty impressive, to say the least. And whatever individual fans want to attribute his success to, be it luck, pad size, him getting inside the Devils' heads, whatever, the fact is that, save for a few starts or so, the Devils have a hard time putting pucks past this guy...and it seems to be getting worse.

Lets face it he is good. Give credit when credit is due.

Honestly if parise wants to test the market i wonder if he is expecting huge offers. the contract he gets whether its here or some where else will be interesting.

Look at Callahan, similar player, captain of his team, he's got what a three year contract at around 4.5 mil a year. Now I know Zach will get more than that, but is he really worth nearly twice that ??? I think he should be happy to get 6 ish with a good team....but....???

Even if we have it from reliable sources he's schtuping the bartender at Hoolihan's? :unsure:

Does the bartender look like Justin Bieber?

1307820721830555.jpg

"I mean I really like you, Justin. Maybe later we'll go back to my place and I'll show you my "goalie equipment"

Edited by CarpathianForest

Lets face it he is good. Give credit when credit is due.

Where was I not giving him credit? He's been terrific this season.

The next thing he needs to do is show that he can raise his game in the playoffs. Brodeur has done that for his career (.913 reg season save%, .919 playoff save%). Lundqvist hasn't (.921 reg season save%, .909 playoff save%). Lundqvist's playoff save% is skewed a bit by '05-'06, where he clearly wasn't healthy, but even if we take that season out, his career playoff% is only .915...not terrible, but not great. And Marty's finished with eight different postseasons with save%s of .927 or better. Lundqvist has yet to reach that in any of his postseasons.

A lot is being made of two goals on Lundqvist in three games, and justifiably so. Yet it's getting lost that the Rangers have only scored twice on Marty in the last two games. If we're giving credit where it's due, our guy should have some going his way as well. Not just Pads McGee.

A lot is being made of two goals on Lundqvist in three games, and justifiably so. Yet it's getting lost that the Rangers have only scored twice on Marty in the last two games. If we're giving credit where it's due, our guy should have some going his way as well. Not just Pads McGee.

Good point, and I think it's only one goal Marty was in cage for. The shut out at the garden and Callahan's lone goal this time around.

It's more disconcerting with Lundqvist only because it's been a fairly long trend now. That 10 goals in 9 GP is unnerving...Tri wants to attribute some of that to luck, and I'm not saying he's wrong, but at the same time, I think it's getting to the point where the Devils could play a terrific first period against him, not score a goal, and then they start getting that "Here we go again" feeling.

And it is great (and overlooked) that Marty has only given up one goal in his last two against the Rangers, no question, but I don't know if it's fair to ask Marty to keep shutting the Rangers down. It's really on the Devils' shooters to start finding ways to beat Lundqvist.

It's more disconcerting with Lundqvist only because it's been a fairly long trend now. That 10 goals in 9 GP is unnerving...Tri wants to attribute some of that to luck, and I'm not saying he's wrong, but at the same time, I think it's getting to the point where the Devils could play a terrific first period against him, not score a goal, and then they start getting that "Here we go again" feeling.

And it is great (and overlooked) that Marty has only given up one goal in his last two against the Rangers, no question, but I don't know if it's fair to ask Marty to keep shutting the Rangers down. It's really on the Devils' shooters to start finding ways to beat Lundqvist.

I mean, among current Devils, you've already got lots of guys who weren't even here for that first game last season - Henrique, Ponikarovsky, Sykora, Bernier, Carter, Josefson, Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky. Team turnover is just too quick in the NHL for me to believe that there are goalies who do well against certain teams for any reason other than chance.

Whatever you wanna blame it on indeed. Henrik Lundquist is currently the best goalie in the world, and it's not just against the Devils.

epic stats

Well good thing we're only facing the 2nd best goalie in the world tomorrow, who also owns the Devils I might add.

Devils need to get it together. I'm not quite sure how or why they have lost focus, maybe the tough schedule is finally catching up with them but the Devils really can't afford to lose a bunch of games in a row like this. They have to stay positive because they haven't been getting out played really.

I mean, among current Devils, you've already got lots of guys who weren't even here for that first game last season - Henrique, Ponikarovsky, Sykora, Bernier, Carter, Josefson, Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky. Team turnover is just too quick in the NHL for me to believe that there are goalies who do well against certain teams for any reason other than chance.

Team style has also changed, this is about the 3rd system in 2 seasons.

The Devils just come at Lunquivst completely wrong.

They are impatient against him and never create traffic. It's too easy for him.

IMO they need to start either just throwing pucks at the net at all times and create plays from behind the net aka the Clarkson goal from Parise in the previous game.

You have to make Lunquivst move and not always have his head in one position, like facing forward because he is ALWAYS going to stop those types of shots coming right at him.

Those types of shots are not a threat to him at all. I can't even remember the last time a Devils player just came in head on and slung a wrist shot past him. Maybe that game Kovalchuck scored on a breakaway?

YES! Throw more shots at him - ALL the time! Create traffic and confusion and pepper him with shots whenever there's a chance, delay once in a while. Eventually it'll throw him off his game and he won't always know for sure when a shot is coming. By the time he does, it might be too late

I'm guessing this is fallout from the Rags game ... DeBo changed the lines in today's practice:

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora

Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson

Boulton-Carter-Bernier/Janssen

It'll be nice to see Josefson play with someone like Ponikarovsky. And I almost feel like, based on the last game alone, that Bernier deserves that 3rd line slot more than hothead dumbass extraordinaire Clarkson. But being No. 2 in team goal scoring kinda tends to keep one in the top 9.

A lot of the guys you mentioned aren't exactly the ones we count on to score goals. When the guy has a .950 career save percentage against one team, then yes it certainly can become mental on both sides. Especially when Marty's gotten in the habit of allowing killer soft goals against the Rangers as well.

A lot of the guys you mentioned aren't exactly the ones we count on to score goals. When the guy has a .950 career save percentage against one team, then yes it certainly can become mental on both sides. Especially when Marty's gotten in the habit of allowing killer soft goals against the Rangers as well.

This simply isn't true, or at least against pads McGee. Marty has a .925 save percentage against the rags during the Michelin man tenure

Do I need to go farther? Kovalchuk hasn't been here that long. The only two Devils forwards who have been here since Lundqvist came into the league are Parise and Elias. I mean, Lundqvist is an excellent goalie, it could just be that he's really good.

I'm guessing this is fallout from the Rags game ... DeBo changed the lines in today's practice:

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk

Zubrus-Elias-Sykora

Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson

Boulton-Carter-Bernier/Janssen

It'll be nice to see Josefson play with someone like Ponikarovsky. And I almost feel like, based on the last game alone, that Bernier deserves that 3rd line slot more than hothead dumbass extraordinaire Clarkson. But being No. 2 in team goal scoring kinda tends to keep one in the top 9.

Agreed, I've been saying this a while. I'd prefer seeing Clarkson on the fourth line. He will bring scoring to that line with his individual style of play and can hog the puck as much as he likes, as a matter of fact, I think he will score more on the fourth as the other teams wont have their top lines playing against him.

Parise-Henrique-Kovy

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Poni-Josefson-Bernier

Boulton-Carter-Clarkson

Once Zajac comes back, he can center the fourth line and become an additional threat, Carter-Zajac-Clarkson. Would like to see one of Zharkov, Tedenby or Zalewski come up and play the left wing in the near future. If we need power, then throw in Boulton.

Alright here are some thoughts from these past games

- break up Parise/Henrique/Kovalchuk

This line has a rut. They have plenty of talent so spread them throughout.

- keep Poni/Zubrus together.

These two are just complete beats on the board, plus they can score.

- put someone on fast on Elias' line (Kovalchuk or Parise)

Sykora is just way to slow. Elias needs to be working with someone a bit better than Petr and Clarkson.

- play Hedberg more.

Not that Brodeur has been playing bad but Moose is fully capable of playing games. Simple.

Parise-Henrique-Clarkson

Sykora-Elias-Kovalchuk

Ponikarovsky-Zubrus-Bernier

Boulton-Josefson-Carter

when Zajac comes back

Parise-Henrique-Clarkson

Sykora-Elias-Kovalchuk

Poni-Zajac-Zubrus

Bernier-Josefson-Carter

Greene-Fayne

Volch/Salv-Larsson

Volch/Salv-Zidlicky

• Like 1

Do I need to go farther? Kovalchuk hasn't been here that long. The only two Devils forwards who have been here since Lundqvist came into the league are Parise and Elias. I mean, Lundqvist is an excellent goalie, it could just be that he's really good.

He really is that good. He basically takes away the entire bottom of the net. His weakness used to be his glove hand, but he's gotten noticeably better this season and is having an excellent season. Combine that with the fact that our shooters are not terribly accurate with their shots, and you get a lot of good scoring chances wasted with shots right at the Queen's chest.

The thing I noticed that is very concerning is the over-passing that went on the other night. They had good looks and chose to pass them up to get him to move side-to-side. To me, that shows he is in their heads as they feel they can't beat him with a shot he can see and doesn't have to move laterally to stop.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Lundqvist's career GAA and save percentage are 2.26 and .921 (including the Devil games). Against the Devils it's 1.76 and .938 in basically half a season's worth of games. It's not just about the Devils tightening their sticks, it's about Lundqvist having supreme confidence against us.

This simply isn't true, or at least against pads McGee. Marty has a .925 save percentage against the rags during the Michelin man tenure

Have you watched Marty play against the Rangers since Avery came to town and rattled his cage? Nine out of ten games are the same thing, lose 2-1 with Marty giving up a crucial crap goal. He did it three times this year alone, losing sight of the Hagelin goal yesterday when the play went right in front of him and didn't cover the near post, the bad Del Zotto goal late in the home game which should have been another loss but for divine intervention, and the backbreaking soft goal by Boyle I think it was in a 1-1 third period game that broke it open the first time we played this year. Most games in recent years have been similar. Not to mention the playoffs a few years back where Marty killed us in at least two or three of the games.

It's not that he doesn't play 'okay' or have the occasional moment of brilliance, but he constantly needs to match Lundqvist save for save and seldom does.

Edited by NJDevs4978