Rangers-Devils trending in news?

Neb00rs

Seems like the fight really is getting some attention - it was trending on Yahoo's main page and I am hearing about it everywhere. I think this is great for the rivalry and for hockey

http://news.yahoo.co...22965--spt.html

Rugged Montreal Canadiens winger Ryan White watched the brawl off the opening faceoff between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils on television Monday night and called it "awesome."

"You don't see it very often. A lot of people don't really like it, but I bet the people at Madison Square Garden liked it. I liked it," White said. "I thought it was pretty cool. There were some big boys going at it, that's for sure."

The National Hockey League also apparently liked it, with the video of the donnybrook getting feature billing on the league's website and no fines or suspensions issued.

Actor and former wrestler Bill Goldberg gave his thumbs up with a link to the video on Twitter, writing: ''My favourite sport---) Devils vs. Rangers in bloody brawl off opening faceoff.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by ben00rs

and idiots think this is BAD for hockey? The only reason hockey is getting even a sliver of attention right now is because of the 3 fights off the faceoff. The NHL needs more blood and guts...then the media takes notice...then people take notice, then tickets are sold, rivalries are build (or renewed) and everybody wins.

Is Goldberg a Devils' fan? I thought I saw a picture of him years ago wearing Devils gear when they won the Stanley Cup.

Not sure if he is a Devils fan, but there were photos of him and Stevens (both shirtless I believe) in the locker room after the 2000 Cup win....

I'm sure Pepperkorn has a poster of it somewhere

scott_stevens_goldberg.jpg

Look how young Rafalski looks in the background of this stevens_goldberg2.jpg

Edited by ThreeCups
  • Like 2

and idiots think this is BAD for hockey? The only reason hockey is getting even a sliver of attention right now is because of the 3 fights off the faceoff. The NHL needs more blood and guts...then the media takes notice...then people take notice, then tickets are sold, rivalries are build (or renewed) and everybody wins.

Problem being, the 'only' time the NHL gets mainstream attention is when it's either a dirty play and its aftermath (Bertuzzi/Moore, Chara/Pacioretty, Chris Simon) or when something like this happens that the media can use to parrot how much of a joke hockey is before going back to ignore us.

Not sure if he is a Devils fan, but there were photos of him and Stevens (both shirtless I believe) in the locker room after the 2000 Cup win....

Goldberg looks somewhat like Cam Janssen. haha

Problem being, the 'only' time the NHL gets mainstream attention is when it's either a dirty play and its aftermath (Bertuzzi/Moore, Chara/Pacioretty, Chris Simon) or when something like this happens that the media can use to parrot how much of a joke hockey is before going back to ignore us.

Either that or a once-in-a-decade goal like Ovechkins a few years ago.

If this had been something like the Sabres-Senators brawls a few years ago, yeah, I'd be behind you. But this is choreographed nonsense.

The real problem is that when people see this and decide to turn on a hockey game, they are confused when they don't see any of this supposed "brawling" or even fight because it doesn't happen as much as non fans think, and they eventually tune out.

Goldberg looks somewhat like Cam Janssen. haha

haha yea I see it now.

Edited by ben00rs

That's pretty cool. I didn't know Jude Law was a Devils fan. He wasn't even famous back then was he?

If this had been something like the Sabres-Senators brawls a few years ago, yeah, I'd be behind you. But this is choreographed nonsense.

At least when its 'choreographed' its in-control. Fans are happy, tone is set, fighters have respect for each other. A Sabres-Sens type brawl is very dangerous and out of control. Btw, the 3 fights werent 'choreographed' or staged anyway. The players spontaneously decided to go at it.

Edited by devlman

At least when its 'choreographed' its in-control. Fans are happy, tone is set, fighters have respect for each other. A Sabres-Sens type brawl is very dangerous and out of control. Btw, the 3 fights werent 'choreographed' or staged anyway. The players spontaneously decided to go at it.

I don't know.. i clearly saw Carter say "drive me to the ice, I'm going to blade."

You get a game misconduct if you start a fight after a fight is already in progress. That means that all 3 fights had to begin at the same time, which means someone was talking before the game or during the faceoff. The players could not have spontaneously all 6 of them decided to fight, that's completely absurd.

You get a game misconduct if you start a fight after a fight is already in progress. That means that all 3 fights had to begin at the same time, which means someone was talking before the game or during the faceoff. The players could not have spontaneously all 6 of them decided to fight, that's completely absurd.

So they decided to fight as adults and professionals. The fans loved it, the players loved it, they got some highlights on TV and it lead to an entertaining game which our team unfortunately lost. I still don't see why it's such a big issue. It's gone on in this sport for a 100 years. Just because they decided to do it BEFORE anyone got cheapshotted doesn't make it a bad thing.

So they decided to fight as adults and professionals. The fans loved it, the players loved it, they got some highlights on TV and it lead to an entertaining game which our team unfortunately lost. I still don't see why it's such a big issue. It's gone on in this sport for a 100 years. Just because they decided to do it BEFORE anyone got cheapshotted doesn't make it a bad thing.

It's a big issue because it's a joke. It makes a mockery out of a wonderful sport, a sport that's ghettoized for many reasons, but one of which is quite possibly because it allows fighting of those sort. Try to explain to someone who doesn't understand hockey why a pre-arranged fight is happening and you will sound like an idiot. 'Well, they're trying to fire their teams up, I guess, plus that's what they're paid to do. No, it's not like Blades of Steel where only the loser of the fight gets a penalty. I guess they hate the other team. Yeah, when the blood gets scraped off the ice, we'll see the actual competition begin.'

Just as the league rightly decided that guys instigating fights when games are well out of hand in the final 5 minutes just makes everyone's life more difficult, so too does this sort of fighting. I don't think it has any place in the game.

Not that it matters or changes anything but all 3 pairs could certainly have decided to fight individually not knowing that the other pair was going to.

Of course three pairs could have each decided to fight at the same time. Why is that impossible?

It's a big issue because it's a joke. It makes a mockery out of a wonderful sport, a sport that's ghettoized for many reasons, but one of which is quite possibly because it allows fighting of those sort. Try to explain to someone who doesn't understand hockey why a pre-arranged fight is happening and you will sound like an idiot. 'Well, they're trying to fire their teams up, I guess, plus that's what they're paid to do. No, it's not like Blades of Steel where only the loser of the fight gets a penalty. I guess they hate the other team. Yeah, when the blood gets scraped off the ice, we'll see the actual competition begin.'

Just as the league rightly decided that guys instigating fights when games are well out of hand in the final 5 minutes just makes everyone's life more difficult, so too does this sort of fighting. I don't think it has any place in the game.

People who don't understand hockey find fighting one of the most intriguing parts of the sport. A standard reaction is "wait, they're gonna let them fight? No way!" It's exciting and is unique to hockey. It doesn't make a mockery of it. It's a huge part of it. Just because you don't want to understand the reasoning or approve of it doesn't mean it's a joke. In the end it most likely made that game safer than it would have been. Again, there were no additional fights, and there were very few penalties, 2 of which were for tripping.