Newark gets short end in Prudential Center revenue share ruling

thelastonealive

the only dump I can think of worse than newark is like camden...or detroit :lol: anyway...sometimes the arena/stadium is part of a comprehensive redevelopment package and it does work out. Camden yards worked out.

But it's been what 5 years already for the Pru Center? I really don't think a nice family of 4 enjoys walking past the nightly crackhead convention at Newark Penn on the way to that game. This stuff needs to be gone or relocated by now.

I hate them too(talk to NJ Transit they own the place). Yet they deal with the same crackheads on their way to MSG, Yankee Stadium, the Verizon Center(I was there), Philly(been there too), etc. You will witness bums in a city, big deal. Don't be sheltered. Yeah it's been 5 years, but keep in mind we were right in the middle of a recession. And you have to be biased or a fool to realize the improvements made since the Rock opened. Did you not see what Mulberry and Edison were like in 2007?

I've been to the Pepsi center, coord field, Camden yards, AAC in Miami and Camden yards areas in their cities in the early years of those arenas/stadiums existence and the area around them were not nearly as bad as Newark.

Fair enough. But other than a few black people explain what's so "bad" about the surrounding area? I don't mean across Broad St or further south, I mean the immediate surroundings? An office complex, an old condominium, the new places on Edison, the hotels under construction and parking lots. Big whoop.

Edited by Marv4Life

I hate them too(talk to NJ Transit they own the place). Yet they deal with the same crackheads on their way to MSG, Yankee Stadium, the Verizon Center(I was there), Philly(been there too), etc. You will witness bums in a city, big deal. Don't be sheltered. Yeah it's been 5 years, but keep in mind we were right in the middle of a recession. And you have to be biased or a fool to realize the improvements made since the Rock opened. Did you not see what Mulberry and Edison were like in 2007?

Fair enough. But other than a few black people explain what's so "bad" about the surrounding area? I don't mean across Broad St or further south, I mean the immediate surroundings? An office complex, an old condominium, the new places on Edison, the hotels under construction and parking lots. Big whoop.

I don't know how you interpreted my response in a racial way.

Will you get mugged in the area around the arena? Probably not. However that ganja shop between loft 47 and brick city bar and grill doesn't look too good and I have never been to a train station in any other city where the homeless take up 90% of the seating.

I don't know how you interpreted my response in a racial way.

Will you get mugged in the area around the arena? Probably not. However that ganja shop between loft 47 and brick city bar and grill doesn't look too good and I have never been to a train station in any other city where the homeless take up 90% of the seating.

Tongue and cheek but from what I and others gather the complaints on here and elsewhere from those who were there stem from the fact they've seen a few bums who are black(who commit most of the crime you hear on the news in Newark) when it's not the only place with a stadium that has 'em.

Go to Suburban Station or Market East in Philly, especially at night like folks taking Septa to/from the game do. They basically house Philly's homeless population. Was there last summer and I nearly tripped over a bum wearing a winter jacket lying on the floor at Market East. Penn Station is paradise compared to those 2.

I just like it as a big fvck you to Cory Booker. I've always hated that jerk. He really hasn't done much to make Newark a nicer place - outside of the immediate area around the arena. I would still never go near Harrison, heard of a few shootings near Communipaw, and elsewhere in the city. It's still the joke of the tri-state area. I still don't feel safe outside the Penn Station/Pru Center area. I mean I don't know what I (and everyone else) expected in this "revitalization" but I know this ain't it.... Parts of that city still feel like Harlem almost. Not to bring race into it, but since hockey is predominantly a white sport, and almost everyone you see in that area that isn't going to the game seems to be African, you do feel unwanted there or that they're saying to themselves, "oh great, whitey's taking over my town tonight" Most people keep to themselves, and thats good just feels odd where all around the arena you see hair salons that do cornrows or other stereotypes. Makes you feel out of place a little

Dude, this comes off really bad. I don't know if thats what you meant but I feel its not really appropriate.

Tongue and cheek, but I'm a black guy who lives in the next town over, and the constant complaints I hear about the surrounding area from suburbanites/Bergenites(especially from those who never been there or only been there once or twice) is safety, yet I never hear them complaining about the South Bronx(which is worse), Flushing(chop shops and dead rats FTW) MSG(which has had crime in that area as well as crackheads around Penn Station), Red Wing fans complaining about going to the Joe or Blues fans going to Scottrade, yet those 2 cities are FAR worse when it comes to crime.

Communipaw, and elsewhere in the city

That's Jersey City. And you just summed up my point. Hockey fans from the burbs have a rep of being racist.

Edited by Marv4Life

Tongue and cheek, but I'm a black guy who lives in the next town over, and the constant complaints I hear about the surrounding area from suburbanites/Bergenites(especially from those who never been there or only been there once or twice) is safety, yet I never hear them complaining about the South Bronx(which is worse), Flushing(chop shops and dead rats FTW) MSG(which has had crime in that area as well as crackheads around Penn Station), Red Wing fans complaining about going to the Joe or Blues fans going to Scottrade, yet those 2 cities are FAR worse when it comes to crime.

That's Jersey City. And you just summed up my point. Hockey fans from the burbs have a rep of being racist.

lol you're trying real hard to turn this into a race issue aren't you?

if newark penn was full of cracked out white people rambling to themselves...it would be just as unpleasant for suburban families.

if newark penn was full of cracked out white people rambling to themselves...it would be just as unpleasant for suburban families.

Also the comparisons he is making are with the most blighted areas of otherwise pleasant cities or just blighted cities in general. Just because one area or city might be a little worse than Newark doesn't make it less of a hellhole.

Then these same suburban families who go to the South Bronx, Flushing and even MSG should feel displeasure going to those places as well.

And sans MSG those places/cities I listed aren't just a little worse than Newark. They are alot worse. Stats don't lie. Bottom line is if you don't like it boycott the arena.

Then these same suburban families who go to the South Bronx, Flushing and even MSG should feel displeasure going to those places as well.

And sans MSG those places/cities I listed aren't just a little worse than Newark. They are alot worse. Stats don't lie. Bottom line is if you don't like it boycott the arena.

Please show me the numbers that show the area around MSG (I guess Chelsea/Fashion District would be it) had more murders and/or crime last year than Newark.

If you are using numbers for all of NYC, then do not even bother.

Edited by DevsMan84

I want to go back to the whole Booker calling Vanderbeek out.

He wants Vanderbeek to come back to the table. Its not going to happen. That would mean that Vanderbeek would be showing that he was wrong and did go back on his promises, not happening at all.

What if Vanderbeek really did have these intentions but is broke? What if his intention were to help later on down the line if their situation betters. If that was the case then I don't think that he will help now.

So what does Vanderbeek do now? My guess is just ignore this little outburst from Booker. But the Devils would benefit from some nice development in the area.

Booker says he is not going to back down, and that that arbitration is not a binding arbitration. I don't know, it will be interesting how it all plays out.

Please show me the numbers that show the area around MSG (I guess Chelsea/Fashion District would be it) had more murders and/or crime last year than Newark.

If you are using numbers for all of NYC, then do not even bother.

I said "sans" MSG, meaning I'm not including MSG. But someone on here a couple of years back said crime around there was higher than the crime around Prudential.

I said "sans" MSG, meaning I'm not including MSG. But someone on here a couple of years back said crime around there was higher than the crime around Prudential.

Then show the stats for Flushing compared to Newark.

Also for South Bronx, everyone I know who goes there just goes to the game and then get out ASAP after. No one really lingers there.

Like I've said every time you bring this up, Yankee Stadium has been in the South Bronx for nearly 90 years. 4 generations of Yankee fans have gone there to see the Yankees. It's where you go to see the Yankees. And yeah, the Yankees had problems drawing in the 80s and early 90s as the team declined both in prestige and as the neighborhood surrounding Yankee Stadium declined. But while the neighborhood around there isn't exactly Beverly Hills even now, I don't feel unsafe there.

I don't think the area surrounding Prudential Center is that bad either - in my experience, there's more panhandlers, but that's about it. Still, it's not the reality, it's the perception, and it will probably take a generation for that to go away.

• Like 1

Like I've said every time you bring this up, Yankee Stadium has been in the South Bronx for nearly 90 years. 4 generations of Yankee fans have gone there to see the Yankees. It's where you go to see the Yankees. And yeah, the Yankees had problems drawing in the 80s and early 90s as the team declined both in prestige and as the neighborhood surrounding Yankee Stadium declined. But while the neighborhood around there isn't exactly Beverly Hills even now, I don't feel unsafe there.

I don't think the area surrounding Prudential Center is that bad either - in my experience, there's more panhandlers, but that's about it. Still, it's not the reality, it's the perception, and it will probably take a generation for that to go away.

Bingo. Also, i personally think more than a generation, but spot on.

I think it's disingenuous to pretend race isn't partially the reason some suburban hockey fans (read: white) are uncomfortable going to Newark.

This maybe true, but prudential center is one of the safest areas in Newark that I know of. This is especially true during games. Some areas are kind of "bad", if you know what I mean even during the day.

I have seen plenty of GSWs in the hospital that tell me Newark can be a dangerous place.