2012 NHL Draft

thefiestygoat

The 2012 NHL Entry Draft will be held on June 22-23 in Pittsburgh.

NHL Central Scouting Service's Final Rankings:

North American Skaters

North American Goaltenders

European Skaters

European Goaltenders

The current picks the Devils have by round:

4 (TOR) - 96th Overall

5 (CGY) - 135th Overall

Note: The Devils still have to forfeit a 1st round pick for the Kovalchuk fiasco. Given their likely draft position and this being considered a weak draft, I think they do it this year. They must inform the NHL of their decision following the Stanley Cup Finals.

NHL.com Mock Drafts (4/12)

MIKE G. MORREALE'S MOCK DRAFT PART III

ADAM KIMELMAN'S MOCK DRAFT PART III

STEVEN HOFFNER'S MOCK DRAFT PART III

Buzzing the Net: A Look at all 30 NHL teams' tendencies on the past 5 draft floors

NJ Devils: 6 out of the OHL, 3 out of the WHL, 5 out of the QMJHL, 4 out of the CJHL, 9 out of USA hockey programs, 4 out of Sweden, 0 out of Russia, 1 out of Finland, 1 out of Other

Future Considerations: Draft Lottery Mock Draft (4/11)

Buzzing the Net: Surprises in NHL CSS Final Rankings

Informative article that talks about various surprises in the list, prospects currently climbing up the board, and other prospects whose stock is falling.

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Button's Updated Top 60

TSN Article on Button's New List

Button always seems to go against the grain with his list. He has Dumba ranked 2nd, Galchenyuk 5th, Subban 10th, Murray 12th, and Grigorenko 14th to name a few.

HF: ISS Top 30, Risers and Fallers, April 2012

They cover a decent amount of prospects in the risers and fallers sections so check it out if you have some free time.

TSN: Teravainen Rockets Into Top 10 In April ISS Rankings

Finnish forward Teuvo Teravainen has rocketed into the Top 10 in the latest International Scouting Service prospect rankings.

The Jokerit winger jumped all the way up to eighth overall in the April ranking after being ranked 29th overall just last month.

According to scouts, Teravainen is a gifted playmaker with scoring ability - posted 11 goals and seven assists in Finland's top men's league at just 18 years of age.

The only other major move within the ISS' Top 10 saw Swedish forward Filip Forsberg leap into second overall behind consensus No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov.

• 4 weeks later...

Future Considerations Final Rankings:

The top 30 is available for free if you click on the link. I'm just going to copy their top 10 over to here to be fair.

1). RW Nail Yakupov, Sarnia, OHL, 5-10.5, 189

2). C Alex Galchenyuk, Sarnia, OHL, 6-1, 185

3). D Ryan Murray, Everett, WHL, 6-0.5, 200

4). C Mikhail Grigorenko, Quebec, QMJHL, 6-3, 200

5). LW Filip Forsberg, Leksand, Swe., 6-2, 180

6). D Jacob Trouba, USNTDP U18, USHL, 6-2, 195

7). D Griffin Reinhart, Edmonton, WHL, 6-4, 205

8). RW Teuvo Teravainen, Jokerit Jr., Fin Jr., 5-11, 165

9). D Morgan Rielly, Moose Jaw, WHL, 5-11.5, 190

10). D Matt Dumba, Red Deer, WHL, 5-11.5, 180

To see the top 210 prospects for the draft, subscribe to FC's 2012 NHL Entry Draft Guide! I enjoy the guide every year so I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in the draft.

By no means am I an expert but based on what I've read/seen over the course of the year from various outlets, I'm going to give my opinions on this top 30. Feel free to disagree/correct me. First, it seems after the top 3 of Yakupov, Galchenyuk, and Murray there is a noticable drop off in potential. Grigorenko at 4 is interesting since he seems to possess a lot of talent but a lot of people question his work ethic. I don't know what the truth is but his stock has fallen over the past few months. Secondly, I'd say the next big talent group is the guys 4-12 on that list. After that there seems to be a big drop off in potential talent. Lastly, I have to say I'm a big fan of defensemen Trouba, Reinhart, Dumba, and Ceci. It should be interesting to see where they go in the draft, could be some good value there for a team picking in the latter part of the first half. I also have my eyes on European forwards Forsberg, Teravainen, and Collberg. From what I've read they could make the teams that draft them satisfied.

Why do I feel like I remember people saying this could be a very strong draft 1-1.5 yrs. ago? Am I just confusing it with last year's draft?

People were saying it would be a strong draft back then but a combination of a ton of injuries and underwhelming performances have put a damper on this draft.

As usual his list is A LOT different than every other list out there.

-----------

Grigorenko to KHL?

https://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/status/201790751384936448

"Sources in Russia say that CSKA is very likely to make a big play for Grigorenko. If true, this should plunge his draft stock."

Dane Fox and Colton Sissons are both apparently on NJD draft watch according to some CHL followers. The Devils have apparently met with both players. Sissons is a talented agitator/power forward who is also a right shot RW. Fox is a two way agitator with pretty good skillset. Brock really likes Fox.

As usual his list is A LOT different than every other list out there.

-----------

Grigorenko to KHL?

https://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/status/201790751384936448

"Sources in Russia say that CSKA is very likely to make a big play for Grigorenko. If true, this should plunge his draft stock."

I find it hard to take Button seriously after he predicted Larsson to fall to the senators at 6th last year. I don't remember it exactly, but his reasoning for why the Devils would pass on him was kind of flimsy.

Dane Fox and Colton Sissons are both apparently on NJD draft watch according to some CHL followers. The Devils have apparently met with both players. Sissons is a talented agitator/power forward who is also a right shot RW. Fox is a two way agitator with pretty good skillset. Brock really likes Fox.

Thanks Jason, thats interesting.

Any thoughts on who you would like the Devils to select??

Found this on Sissons, he sounds like a typical Devils pick.

Sissons Info

Awesome info Jason! Keep us updated! Also, I know you get to follow the QMJHL closely, any opinion on Grigorenko and his falling draft stock?

ISS Top 50 for May

Here is the top 10 from that list:

1. NAIL YAKUPOV LW 5'10 189 L Oct. 6/93 Sarnia OHL

2. FILIP FORSBERG RW 6'1 176 R Aug. 13/94 Leksands SweAI

3. RYAN MURRAY D 6'0 201 L Sep. 27/93 Everett WHL

4. MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO RW 6'3 200 L May 16/94 Quebec QMJHL

5. JACOB TROUBA D 6'2 196 R Feb. 26/94 USA U-18 USNTDP

6. MATT DUMBA D 5'11 183 R Jul. 25/94 Red Deer WHL

7. MORGAN RIELLY D 5'11 190 L Mar. 9/94 Moose Jaw WHL

8. TEUVO TERAVAINEN LW 5'11 161 L Sept. 11/94 Jokerit FinE

9. CODY CECI D 6'2 207 R Dec. 21/93 Ottawa OHL

10. GRIFFIN REINHART D 6'3 207 L Jan. 24/94 Edmonton WHL

Interesting to see they have Gaunce ranked as high as 11th and Galchenyuk as low as 14th.

TSN Notes on the ISS May List

USA Under-18 team member Nicholas Kerdiles jumped seven spots into 15th, while Plymouth Whalers winger Thomas Wilson climbed 10 spots to crack the top 20 at No. 17.

The biggest gain in the month was Erie Otters defenceman Adam Pelech, who moved up 16 spots and is ranked 29th in May.

-----

Red Line Report top 10

And really, it's a one-man top tier — Nail Yakupov — followed by a second tier of seven guys who could be placed in any order and we'd be fine with it. It really just comes down to the particular needs of the teams drafting in those positions.

We would select Filip Forsberg at No. 2 overall if placed in the Columbus Blue Jackets' position. Forsberg offers a great combination of being a safe pick who is nearly certain to pan out into a top six winger, plus the upside of being a tough warrior who competes intensely every shift and could be a big-time sniper with his great shot. Reminds us of Erik Cole in many ways.

After that, we have the big three on defense from out west: Matt Dumba, Ryan Murray and Morgan Rielly. We believe Rielly is the most purely skilled of the three with the highest upside, but it would take courage for any general manager/chief scout combo to take him in the top three since knee surgery cost him the last 5½ months of the season and he played only five playoff games at the end of the year on which to base a final evaluation.

Similarly, a grouping of three highly skilled forwards — Alex Galchenyuk, Teuvo Teravainen and Mikhail Grigorenko — could all find their way into the top five. But this time, Galchenyuk, who missed 5½ months with a knee injury before coming back for a brief playoff stint, might be the safest pick of the three. That's because while the other two are supremely skilled (they are right up there with Yakupov on pure skills), both have questions about their intensity level and emotional commitment.

Click the link to see the top 10, notes on those players as well as risers and fallers.

I don't think the top fifty draft picks are going to have much releveance to us this year :lol:

Very true, yet I still enjoy following the generic prospect landscape and seeing where guys end up. One thing that I like about Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus, is that his rankings always differ from most lists out there. Craig Button at TSN is another guy whose lists tend to cause some sort of reaction in people.

I can't wait for the draft. I already got my Future Considerations draft guide here. I've been getting it for a few years and I must say I'm always pleased with the product. This years issue features a Top 210 prospect ranking, various opinion articles, full page reports on the top 30 prospects, reports on the 31-125 ranked prospects, notes on the 126-200 ranked prospects, extensive sleeper and overager sections, a mock draft for the first 2 rounds, a top 30 for 2013 with info on those prospects, and a top 10 for 2014 with info on those guys. Also it is worth noting that our own prospect expert, Jason MacIsaac, is a scout and contributor for Future Considerations. Great work Jason!

I've heard good things about McKeen's draft guide and some of the other companies out there but the only other draft guide I'm considering is Hockey Prospect's digital blackbook. I know nothing about them but its advertised as over 330 pages of prospect and individual game reports - over 250 prospect reports for the 2012 draft, 125 prospects for the 2013 draft, 100 game reports, 7 round player rankings for the 2012 draft, and a top 30 for the 2013 draft.

This forum is pretty much pointless for devils fans unless youre talking late 2nd and 3rd round picks.

This kid Samuelsson on the Edmonton Oil Kings looked amazing in the Memorial Cup Tournament. He should go late in the second round maybe we can snatch him. He is ranked 75th but his stock should rise after his recent performance.

Edited by Zubie#8

Assuming for some reason the Devils DON'T give up their pick, I'd love to see them take Jarrod Maidens, although with the way his stock has fallen they could legitimately have a shot at taking him in the 2nd. I feel like he'd be a perfect fit in NJ.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/05/21/nhl-draft-prospect-profile-45-jarrod-maidens/

Sorry, I try to avoid the boards during playoff time and didn't see this thread gain some traction.

I wouldn't touch Girgorenko with an early pick, if he were to fall past 6 I think you are tempted to go for the home run pick but his consistency and effort level doesn't impress me. Grigorenko was probably used in all offensive situations as well so he probably has similar minute ratios to Malkin.

I really liked Kamaev and Culkin all season long and they will fall right around our 3rd round. Depending on the work Hudon puts into his quickness and speed he may be worth a 2nd/3rd round gamble. His hockey sense is excellent with and without the puck, he knows how to create offense.

As for one mid round pick I would love for NJ to select Quebec goaltender Francois Brassard. He is silky smooth in his movements, almost nonchalant. He has OK size and plays Roy like butterfly.

As for a super sleeper late in the draft I like Lalancette. He was stuck behind O'Brien and got tougher zone starts, no PP1 icetime and second line icetime. He plays a cerebral smart game and is a good playmaker, he seems soft however.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey Prospectus Draft Rankings 51-60

Hockey Prospectus Draft Rankings 61-70

Hockey Prospectus Draft Rankings 71-80

Hockey Prospectus Draft Rankings 81-90

Hockey Prospectus Draft Rankings 91-100

Buzzing The Net: Scout’s take on the top goaltenders of the 2012 draft class

This year it seems quite unlikely that a netminder's name won't be called in the first round. Belleville Bulls' Malcolm Subban, Russian native Andrei Vasilevski, and Swedish native Oscar Dansk have separated themselves as the top talents in the crease of the 2012 draft class. All three youngsters are regarded as possible top-30 draft choices.

Although there isn't a clear-cut consensus, Subban seems to get the most votes as the top puck-stopper of this year's draft class. He was the top-ranked North American goaltender by NHL's Central Scouting Service.

The 6-foot-1, 188-pounder, who is the younger brother of Canadiens star P.K Subban, finished tied for fifth in the Ontario Hockey League in save percentage this year, averaging an impressive .923 average. He also posted 25 wins in 39 games and maintained a 2.50 goals-against average.

The Scouting Report Draft Rankings 1-25

The Scouting Report Draft Rankings 26-50

The Scouting Report Draft Rankings 51-75

The Scouting Report Draft Rankings 76-100

Interesting story on a Jackson, NJ kid:

Buzzing the Net: Goaltender Anthony Stolarz’s NHL draft year has been ‘a total 180′

Very few can say for certainty who among the much-ballyhooed goalies in the NHL draft class of 2012 will pan out, but none have had the arc of Anthony Stolarz over the past 10 months. Last summer, the 6-foot-5, 200-pound native of Jackson, N.J., was searching frantically for a place to play goal. The Jersey kid ended up getting it down near the Gulf of Mexico with the North American Hockey League's Corpus Christi IceRays.

"From last summer until now, it's been a complete 180," says Stolarz, who was NHL Central Scouting's fourth-ranked North American goalie in April after being ranked 21st at midseason. "I'm so grateful for it, a lot has changed in a year. I just have to attribute that to hard work."

Button's Top 60 - June Edition

As usual his rankings differ from a lot of the others. Some of the things that stood out to me:

1. Grigorenko ranked 20th

2. Murray ranked 13 (Dumba 2, Rielly 3, Reinhart 6, Finn 9, Lindholm 10, Ceci 11, Trouba 12 are the D ranked ahead)

I don't know much about Finn or Lindholm unlike those other D. I'm going to have to consult my Future Considerations Guide and Hockey Prospect Black Book to get some background.

3. He ranks goalies high (Subban 8, Vsilevski 15, Dansk 31)

4. Frk ranked 59

The discussion in the thread on the Devils keeping their 1st round pick got me to thinking to get a discussion going on the top 3 draft eligible goalies as well as a sleeper for a later round. The two draft guides I use are Future Considerations and Hockey Prospect. I highly recommend them both if you are looking to buy a guide. I'm not going to copy everything from their reports, instead I'll give a summary/paraphrased version.

Malcolm Subban - 12/21/93 (18) Canada, 6'1" 188lbs

Rankings: 1st CSS NA Goaltender, 29th Overall by Future Considerations, 28th Overall by Hockey Prospect

Summary from Future Considerations Draft Guide: "Unorthodox style, quick feet, moves laterally effortlessly, instincts are strong, sees the puck through heavy traffic well, good rebound control when set, relies on reflexes and athleticism instead of positioning, plays deep in his net, needs to be more aggressive to take away angles, needs to wait out shots more, could use real goaltending coaching."

Summary from Hockey Prospect Draft Black Book: "Played for Belleville Bulls, Exceptional reflexes, slick lateral movement, quick glove hand, athletic, kicks out too many dangerous rebounds, good recovery skills, has had multiple groin issues and is an injury concern."

Andrei Vasilevski - 7/25/94 (17) Russia, 6'3" 204lbs

Rankings: 1st CSS Euro Goaltender, 21st Overall by Future Considerations, 27th Overall by Hockey Prospect

Summary from Future Considerations Draft Guide: "Big, powerful, athletic, plays butterfly, balance and positioning allow him to read play well, quick legs and blocker, glove is a weapon, covers upper portion of the net from knees well, extremely flexible, moves well post to post, goes down early, doesn't close off angles consistently, gives up a lot of rebounds, not good puckhandler, footwork can be clumsy."

Summary from Hockey Prospect Draft Black Book: "Played for UFA 2, Son of Russian league goalie and coach, Very athletic, fantastic reflexes, butterfly is top notch, looks huge in his net - gives shooters very little to shoot at, very good lateral movement, combines quickness, size, strength, and flexibility"

Oscar Dansk - 2/28/94 (18) Sweden, 6'2" 186lbs

Rankings: 2nd CSS Euro Goaltender, 25th Overall by Future Considerations, 35th Overall by Hockey Prospect

Summary from Future Considerations Draft Guide: "Calm and confident, uses natural frame to cover down low, good lateral mobility and anticipation, takes away upper portions of the net well, scrambles back into position well when situation arises, not great at handling puck around crease, doesn't play angles aggressive enough."

Summary from Hockey Prospect Draft Black Book: "Played for the Shattuck St. Mary's program for 2 and a half years before playing for Brynas Jr. in Sweden, excelled in league and international tournaments, big kid that plays big in his net, strong mechanics, great butterfly, strong down low, great puck tracking skills and rebound control, plays a sound technical game, plays well on the PK and against dump ins - creates breakout passes, loves the smaller rinks surfaces of NA."

Sleeper: Francois Brassard - 1/31/94 (18) Canada, 6'1" 154lbs (Jason mentioned him in May)

Rankings: 15th CSS NA Goaltender, NR in Future Considerations, 191st Overall by Hockey Prospect

Summary from Hockey Prospect Draft Black Book: "Backed up Louis Domingue for Quebec Remparts, calm and composed, excels with his butterfly, good lateral movements, covers the bottom of the net well, reads the play well, needs to develop glove side, plays too deep in crease. Upside not high end at the moment but good guy to take a flyer on late in the draft."

Note: Info on age from EliteProspects, Info on Height/Weight from Hockey Prospect.