EQF Game 2 - Playoff GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers

Steven M.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season his number are not that high...

He still had 35 goals and like 65 points in an off year, when the first twenty games he was completely awful coming off the long layoff. I still think some of the reason his numbers were down was playing with Kovy, the fact there's only one puck for the two of them doesn't help. At best they've been streaky as a line but I don't think we're going to find out whether they can both excel away from each other on the same team this year.

What's with all the Flyers comparisons? I get the fact that the Flyers can really score when they need to, but the Devils and Flyers are playing two completely different series. I'm sure we'd be seeing more intensity if NJ were in Ottawa's position now, matched against the Rangers.

zach's goals come from a loss or a blow out...canes 5-0 and a pens loss...toronto so loss...4-1 ppg on flyers...5-0 hatty on caps...1 in an OT loss to bruins.

no GWG, pretty pathetic imo

He had the OT winner in Edmonton. Your making a weird observation. Zach is not having a terrific year but he is still one of our catalysts.

and he got an EN in a 5-2 win over florida in january too

im not saying he doesnt win games but dont expect a clutch goal...at least from his record this year.

hes just showcasing his knee is ok this season, we needed another goal tonight.

It not just the stats issues... you can score and being average... but the fact is we dont see parise a lot... i didnt notice him at all tonight... except for his chance in the first where kovy hit the post on the rebound.

I dont know but it always the same when playoffs comes... he is not bad but he dont deserve 6-7 millions a year if cant be better than that

The Panthers don't scare me in the slightest. Hockey's randomness / terrible officiating / Broduer scare me, but not the Panthers.

Devils need to have more than one great period a game though. Even if one great period a game ends up being enough to get past Florida it won't be enough in round 2.

Zach at least showed up, for the most part...but the problem with Zach is he just can't be a difference maker in the postseason. He gets his numbers in the regular season by outworking and outthinking defenders who don't go at playoff speed every game the way he does. But when other players match his work ethic and come up with systems to nulify him in the postseason, he just doesn't have the talent to raise his game. He scores goals one way, with deflections and quick reflex plays in front and everyone knows it.

insightful way to put it.

I'm going to see what happens in Game 3 before getting too worried.

The positives:

Devils split the first two on the road. Sure, it would've been great if they could've taken two, but 1-1 was a reasonable expectation, and the Devils pulled it off.

Kovy and Zajac scored last night. If I had been told the Devils would lose 3-2, but I could pick the Devils' goal-scorers, I would've picked Kovy and Parise, but Zajac would've been just behind them. All things considered, I think it was pretty important for Kovy to put one home, and in non-garbage time to boot. And Parise is at least getting shots on goal...12 of them through two games. That's why I want to see what happens over the rest of the series before branding him a playoff nonentity.

Series has pretty much gone about as I would've expected...and I still think the Devils can take this in 6.

Another reason I'm worried: Volchenkov's played south of twelve minutes a night the first two games. Clearly he has some issue, if an eight-day rest at the end of the regular season didn't fix it I don't know what will. And their defense is suspect anyway, without him it just becomes far worse.

Another reason I'm worried: Volchenkov's played south of twelve minutes a night the first two games. Clearly he has some issue, if an eight-day rest at the end of the regular season didn't fix it I don't know what will. And their defense is suspect anyway, without him it just becomes far worse.

I think this is part of the reason why I can't get too mad at this team for being about what it is...my expectations simply aren't very high. It's a pretty good team, but clearly one with flaws. Are the Devils better than the Panthers? I believe so, but not by much...I have the Devils winning in six, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took them seven games to do it...at any rate, this was not going to be a cakewalk for the Devils, and we're seeing clear signs of that now.

Beyond that, only the blindest of Devil homers would try to make a case for the Devils getting past Round 2 and beyond...a lot of that will depend on matchups of course, but by my count there are four teams in the East that the Devils don't match up well with, despite what the regular-season records say, and the more "favorable" matchups for the Devils are no gimmes either.

How come the Devils let them et pushed around, a few times I saw Zach go to the net , get pushed over after the whistle and Devils players do nothing about it..... If we play the flyers we are doomed...

How come the Devils let them et pushed around, a few times I saw Zach go to the net , get pushed over after the whistle and Devils players do nothing about it..... If we play the flyers we are doomed...

Worry about this series first.

Well, last night it was partially because DeBo went out of his way to play Zid, Greene, and Harrold in the 3rd to generate offense.

And Game 1 when we were ahead he didn't play then either.

But neither did Harrold. That is a concern, but I do think the game circumstances dictated it.

Yeah, the Penguins haven't let themselves get pushed around, it's worked out great for them.

I saw the Panthers getting into good defensive position and clearing Zach and others out of the way of Theodore. That's not the type of play that warrants a response to getting pushed around.

Eh, the way to beat the Flyers is execute on the PP. You know you're gonna get them, and if you burn them, you win. Unfortunately, we don't do a good job on the PP.

I'm not going to be able to watch tonight due to a Kraftwerk concert at the Museum of Modern Art (...man, that almost sounds like a fake BS excuse, but it's real, look it up!).

I will, however, be habitually checking my phone while I watch those German robot-men play with synthesizers and blow minds with 3D imagery.

I expect to see only good things in those updates, Devils. Only. Good. Things.

Dammit how did you get tickets to that? lol I was online on the site the minute they went on sale trying for Trans Europe Express date but it kept crashing and after waiting in the queue for over an hour I just gave up.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Edit: Just saw how you got the tickets lol.

Edited by DevsMan84