Hopefully that is the last time Brodeur sees the ice as a Devil

'7'

The only thing keeping me going right now is Brodeur's track record in bounce-back games. Especially in the playoffs. He knows he sh!t the bed in Game 3, so expect a big game from him in Game 4. DeBoer knows this as well or he would have committed to Hedberg.

I'm sure Marty isn't hanging on any message boards so I'll write it...

Did the Olympics teach us nothing?

Also -- Marty would be the first to think 'sit his sorry ass' if he were in his prime

(and I missed that last part of your message.. :unsure:;)

Edited by Pepperkorn

he did not assume blame. that is saying your teammates lost - not you.

That isn't true at all. They win as a team and lose as a team. It wasn't all his fault that the players on the ice in front of him stop hustling after they went up 3-0, or took stupid penalties which, all of a sudden, they have no idea how to kill. It wasn't his fault that the refs called back the tying goal.

The first goal was a great shot by Bergenheim that no goalie would stop. Marty pushed the puck out on the shot into the zone to start that play, but the defenseman (Volchenkov) was caught completely flat footed and let Bergenheim blow by him. That is unacceptable and he is just as responsible for the goal as Marty. The second and third goals were all Marty, although he claims he didn't see Weaver's shot from the point on the third b/c of a screen in front. That doesn't excuse the fact that this team can't score on Scott Clemmensen and only got like 20 shots over the final 54 minutes of the game. That is pathetic.

The fact of the matter is, they came out like world beaters and let down after 6 minutes figuring the game was over with a 3-0 lead. They ALL sucked, Marty included. Marty is no longer going to win any games by himself (like Rinne is doing in the NSH-DET series) and that is why this team is going nowhere in the playoffs. And if you think Hedberg is going to be any better, your fooling yourself.

Rightly or wrongly, Marty has been here long enough to every opportunity to bounce back. We'd be in Wyoming by now without what he has done for this franchise.

I have been one of the biggest Marty supporters and defenders on this board. I always try to be reasonable when everyone comes looking for blood after a loss. People tend to remember the bad and totally forget the good.

But saying all of that, I'm pretty shocked that Marty is getting the start in Game 4. The only reasoning I can give is what other people have said, which is that he's known to follow a bad game with a good one. I hope he's got another left in him.

That isn't true at all. They win as a team and lose as a team. It wasn't all his fault that the players on the ice in front of him stop hustling after they went up 3-0, or took stupid penalties which, all of a sudden, they have no idea how to kill. It wasn't his fault that the refs called back the tying goal.

The first goal was a great shot by Bergenheim that no goalie would stop. Marty pushed the puck out on the shot into the zone to start that play, but the defenseman (Volchenkov) was caught completely flat footed and let Bergenheim blow by him. That is unacceptable and he is just as responsible for the goal as Marty. The second and third goals were all Marty, although he claims he didn't see Weaver's shot from the point on the third b/c of a screen in front. That doesn't excuse the fact that this team can't score on Scott Clemmensen and only got like 20 shots over the final 54 minutes of the game. That is pathetic.

The fact of the matter is, they came out like world beaters and let down after 6 minutes figuring the game was over with a 3-0 lead. They ALL sucked, Marty included. Marty is no longer going to win any games by himself (like Rinne is doing in the NSH-DET series) and that is why this team is going nowhere in the playoffs. And if you think Hedberg is going to be any better, your fooling yourself.

Teams are going to have lulls, as are goalies. Winning teams are able to pick each other up - if the goalie has a bad game, maybe the offense is able to do something extra to help out the team. If the defense is having a rough night, maybe the goalie makes some stops.

The Devils did not 'stop skating'. They didn't even play poorly to give up the 4 goals, and that's the real problem. They gave up 3 goals from the point, 2 of them ridiculous seeing eye goals.

Then the Panthers played a solid lockdown game - they gave up a few chances, but they didn't let the Devils run them over.

Edited by Triumph

Teams are going to have lulls, as are goalies. Winning teams are able to pick each other up - if the goalie has a bad game, maybe the offense is able to do something extra to help out the team. If the defense is having a rough night, maybe the goalie makes some stops.

The Devils did not 'stop skating'. They didn't even play poorly to give up the 4 goals, and that's the real problem. They gave up 3 goals from the point, 2 of them ridiculous seeing eye goals.

Then the Panthers played a solid lockdown game - they gave up a few chances, but they didn't let the Devils run them over.

The problem was being out shot 9-1 to end the period. When you get one shot in the final 12 minutes of a period you allow the other team back in the game, regardless of how good the first eight minutes are. Yes, they were terrible goals to allow but the rest of the team did little to keep going to the cage and sustaining any kind of possession.

And Rowdy, really? Hedberg's goal was the only one of the four that wasn't the goalie's fault. This was a Goldberg from the Mighty Ducks-type awful performance.

Just trying to provide some balance to everyone who's saying this loss began and ended with Brodeur. The goal may or may not have been Hedberg's fault, but I wasn't trying to say that Moose lost the game anyway. The point is, the entire team decided to stop playing after going up 3-0. Vent at #30 all you want, but he wasn't the only one on the ice last night.

And he could have worded his comments on the first goal differently, but he's not entirely wrong. Marty sent that rebound right at Volchenkov and he should've been able to handle it, but Bergenheim blew by Anton like he wasn't even there and turned the rebound into a goal.

I don't need to say a thing regarding this thread it says it all. I was just early, years ago, recognizing his weakness and posted my comments. It is sad to see him go out this way and having fans speak negative about him. But then he isn't leaving unfortunately, he will be back next season if there is a season.

Would you can it already? Just because you're right now doesn't mean you've been right all along. Don't pull out this "sad" crap, you're loving this turn of events and seeing everyone turn on Marty. Christ, you're worse than Manta. Speaking of Manta, where the hell is he? Kovalchuk needs to do a lot better than a secondary assist 30 seconds into the game and only two shots on goal, especially given the ice time he racks up.

Just trying to provide some balance to everyone who's saying this loss began and ended with Brodeur. The goal may or may not have been Hedberg's fault, but I wasn't trying to say that Moose lost the game anyway. The point is, the entire team decided to stop playing after going up 3-0. Vent at #30 all you want, but he wasn't the only one on the ice last night.

And he could have worded his comments on the first goal differently, but he's not entirely wrong. Marty sent that rebound right at Volchenkov and he should've been able to handle it, but Bergenheim blew by Anton like he wasn't even there and turned the rebound into a goal.

Would you can it already? Just because you're right now doesn't mean you've been right all along. Don't pull out this "sad" crap, you're loving this turn of events and seeing everyone turn on Marty. Christ, you're worse than Manta. Speaking of Manta, where the hell is he? Kovalchuk needs to do a lot better than a secondary assist 30 seconds into the game and only two shots on goal, especially given the ice time he racks up.

I agree with a lot of this. As for Manta, if this series keeps going this way we'll see him Sunday.

The problem was being out shot 9-1 to end the period. When you get one shot in the final 12 minutes of a period you allow the other team back in the game, regardless of how good the first eight minutes are. Yes, they were terrible goals to allow but the rest of the team did little to keep going to the cage and sustaining any kind of possession.

The problem is your use of the word 'allow'. The Devils had 2 penalty kills after going up 3-0. So already that's going to be trouble on the shot board - expectation is they'll be outshot 4-1 there. Then you consider that NJ is down 3. Well, we know that teams up 2 get about 42% of the shot attempts at even strength. That's because the other team is firing pucks at the net with the hope they'll go in. Up 3 I imagine that percentage drops to around 40%.

Again, hockey games are filled with ebbs and flows. The key is weathering those, and the Devils' goaltending didn't. Had the Devils been able to go into the locker room up 3-0 or even 3-1, it might've been a completely different game.

Edited by Triumph

I have been right since 2005 re: Marty's playoff performance.

This team panics when he lets them down. That's been happing since 2005.

That's 6 years.

To try to defend Marty's play by blaming Hedberg is stupid.

To try to defend Marty's play by blaming Hedberg is stupid.

I wasn't defending Marty's play, but I wouldn't expect you to figure that out. I was defending this asinine notion that "Marty lost the game for us". The Devils had 37, almost 38 minutes after Brodeur was pulled to retake the lead. They failed to do so, and they let another goal through to boot.

I wasn't defending Marty's play, but I wouldn't expect you to figure that out. I was defending this asinine notion that "Marty lost the game for us". The Devils had 37, almost 38 minutes after Brodeur was pulled to retake the lead. They failed to do so, and they let another goal through to boot.

thanks for the insult, FU

The team went into the locker room after the first period beaten and even thought they were behind. He let them down again.

Did you listen to the interviews after the game? The players, with the exception if class act Elias (who took the blame himself), couldn't come up with why they lost because they didn't want to say MARTY.

Rowdy, keep drinking Marty's kool aid. He is done! Has been since 2005 when the NEW NHL evolved and he lost his terrific defense that made his numbers. Hockey is a second season sport and Marty has missed that since 2005. He can't even understand why he was pulled when the game was tied. You better hope that he wins game 4 without any soft goals against (I do) because there will be a lynch squad after him if he screws up.

Thanks for you interest in me.

Edited by LucifersDog

Dear '7', this is for you...

229r.jpg

Yeah, remember that? You've been bitching about marty forever. If he makes 42 saves in a game 4 shut-out, you'd shut the hell up for a few games. You constantly whine, it's just... God, it's annoying.

Do you like the fact that he won us 3 stanley cups? A little respect for the guy who's one of the key reasons we're not posting on a New York Islanders board right now because the team was shipped to Nashville 15 years ago.

God, you're annoying.

You are annoying using 3 Cups as a defense for Marty. Since 2005 when the NEW NHL evolved and the Devils Outstanding defense retired or left he has done nothing in the playoffs but embarrass the Devils. Only the second season counts!

Can you understand this without the Marty kool aid?