4th line appreciation thread

DJ Eco

I think it's safe to say that one of the better things DeBoer has done this year was playing a big role in putting together this fourth line. I recall myself rolling my eyes when I heard we signed Bernier, a free agent coming off a blehhh season from DeBoer's old team. And I was even more skeptical when I heard we picked up Ryan Carter off waivers, after a bad start to the season on DeBoer's old team.

Obviously DeBoer knew something we didn't know, and now it's coming to fruition. I thought they'd been solid down the last stretch, always giving it their all. And don't look now, but the 4th line has meant EVERYTHING to us this series, the most unlikely motley crew of overachievers that anyone could have expected the past two weeks (with Little Gio in the mix).

Now here's the question, do you re-sign them at the end of the year? Do you think they've earned it yet?

This was pretty much an accident. I think if Gio Jr. doesn't score the last game of the season, Boulton or Cam is out there stinking things up.

I'm not ready to praise anyone for not rolling goons out there, Boulton probably had one of the crappiest seasons ever by someone not named Nino Niederreiter. And he kept on playing. So if either/or Lou or Pete decided enough was enough, it took a damn long time.

Imagine if we had Josefson right now.

Max, I don't think there was any plausible scenario in which Boulton or Jannsen would sniff the ice, especially against Florida where there isn't really animosity. Frankly, it would be more likely that the Devils pull a Chris Kreider with someone like Reid Boucher rather than dressing Boulton or Jannsen. Hell, I'd rather give Hugh Jessiman a call if he were available.

A sideshow act gets you nowhere in the playoffs.

Edited by Daniel

I owe Gionta and Bernier apologies lol, I thought since neither was doing well for Albany and little Gio didn't exactly impress during his stint last year either that they were just throwing more crap up against a wall. But they've both been godsends, particuarly this series. And I wasn't particuarly impressed with Carter either when he put up a -15 fairly quickly, but he's played a lot better since he's actually been put with other NHL talent on the fourth line.

Junior Gio already has more goals in his NHL career than Zharkov :giggle:

Edited by NJDevs4978