Where to watch in NYC?

NYCdevil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday is a popular going out night in the city, so it'll be tough to find a place that's just going to show Devils hockey. I have a local on the UES that I'll be watching at, but only because I know the bartenders and they'll put it on for me. Your best bet would be to find a small hole in the wall with nobody watching the tube and ask the 'tender to put it on for you.

You can also try Kelly's on Avenue A. They are a Sabres bar in the regular season, but they generally play all the local hockey games. My friend has been hosting Caps parties there and while it may be chock full of Rangers fans, they'll definately have the Devils game on.

You also may want to try the Flying Puck on 7th between 30th and 31st. It will be jam packed with Rags fans, as it's a stones throw form the Garden, but they play all the local hockey games as well.

That said, if you want the best chance to avoid Rags fans, do option one. Pick someplace out of the way, make nice with the bartender and they'll put the game on for you.

Good luck!

Edited by Bulletproof

Jump on the PATH and go to The Rock to watch it. They're going to be having a viewing party there.

Its going to be extremely hard if not impossible to find a place to watch it other than some random joint since the Rangers have a game 7 the same night.

St. Mark's Ale House typically shows a lot of hockey, the owner's a hockey fan I think. They don't turn the sound on though, but there's a buttload of TVs and nice cozy booths, some with their own TV right in front. It's nice to go there for a bite and some beers, and ask them to sit you in one of those booths. They'll put your game on if you ask.

St. Mark's Ale House typically shows a lot of hockey, the owner's a hockey fan I think. They don't turn the sound on though, but there's a buttload of TVs and nice cozy booths, some with their own TV right in front. It's nice to go there for a bite and some beers, and ask them to sit you in one of those booths. They'll put your game on if you ask.

I would suggest this place as well, or one of the Village Pourhouses, but with the Rags starting at 730, it will be hard to find a place to put on the Devils in the middle of that game.

Get on a train to Jersey. Even if you dont want to go to the Rock, there's places in Hoboken assuredly that will show it. I was hoping for somethign at Texas Arizona in Hoboken again, but with The Rock having something planned, I dont know if thats going to happen or not.

well in hell's kitchen, i always go to lansdowne road. they will show the devils game guaranteed on large screens and have great food/drink choices. if you are close enough, go for it. i watched the saturday game there and there were a ton of hockey fans, and devils fans there. 43rd and 10th.

Yeah, as most have said, your best bet is probably hopping the Path into Hoboken. Hoboken Bar & Grill will almost definitely be showing the game (Washington between Newark & 1st, or between 1st & 2nd, forget which). Food's pretty good, too.

Actually I would recommend going to Hoboken too but going to

Texas Arizona Bar that's a big Devils Bar and on the path it only takes 20 mins from 33rd St.

From WTC it might take a little longer.

well in hell's kitchen, i always go to lansdowne road. they will show the devils game guaranteed on large screens and have great food/drink choices. if you are close enough, go for it. i watched the saturday game there and there were a ton of hockey fans, and devils fans there. 43rd and 10th.

I love Lansdowne but they might have more Ranger Fans that day due to the Ranger game ...

I know lansdowne will have it, the owner is a hockey even though flyer fan, and rags fans were pretty chill last time.

Id avoid just about any bar in the city if the Rags are in a game 7 and I wanted to watch hockey at a bar. I think best case is anyone doing that would have to wait for the Rags game to be over to watch the 3rd of the Devils.

I know lansdowne will have it, the owner is a hockey even though flyer fan, and rags fans were pretty chill last time.

Just a heads-up, according to Lansdowne's Twitter page, they will have the sound on for the Rangers Game 7 tomorrow night. Maybe they'll have the Devils game on too. Although, they also mentioned showing the NFL Draft and the Knicks final regular season game. ... A lot going on tomorrow night.

http://twitter.com/#!/lansdowneroad

pretty crazy there are bars in the city for sabres fans bengals fans mizzou fans but theres not one for devils fans...

the devils marketing team really has their heads up their asses still..

Nothing to do with marketing team. When a diehard Devils fan opens his own bar in Manhattan, we'll have a Devils bar in Manhattan.

Nothing to do with marketing team. When a diehard Devils fan opens his own bar in Manhattan, we'll have a Devils bar in Manhattan.

devils fans dont have one bar to go to in all of nyc.. its really ridiculous to think of all the obscure fanbases that have a bar they can find home.

the devils marketing team should be incentivizing some place to cater to devil fans.. its pretty hard to be a devils fan in the city and theres no reason for that

devils fans dont have one bar to go to in all of nyc.. its really ridiculous to think of all the obscure fanbases that have a bar they can find home.

the devils marketing team should be incentivizing some place to cater to devil fans.. its pretty hard to be a devils fan in the city and theres no reason for that

I agree, I wish it was easier for us. There's a lot of us commuting into the city from Jersey who would love to watch the game in the city. However, there's only so much ground the marketing team can cover. Having a "team bar" is sort of an organic thing that "just happens", you can't really force it on an owner of a bar. If I opened up a bar in NYC, I'd show every Devils game with the sound turned up, and word would spread.

It has nothing to do with the Devils or their marketing team! What sort of incentive should the Devils provide to an out of state business? Again, if Joe Smith is a Devils fan and opens a bar in the city, there will be a Devils place there.

Pretty hard to be a Devils fan in the city? NJ is a 15 minute train ride away to Hoboken where there are at least two bars that cater to Devils fans. NYC has their own teams with very large fanbases.

its not the devils marketing teams obligtation to do anything but theyre missing a huge opportunity to build their brand which is ultimately their job

either way it just annoys me as a devil fan the best option is going to hoboken and for me living on the east side thats a good 45 minute journey..

people in new york dont go to bars across town let alone go to hoboken to watch a game.

maybe if we got some numbers together 20? people, we could convince a bar to throw the sound on and cater to devils fans

its not the devils marketing teams obligtation to do anything but theyre missing a huge opportunity to build their brand which is ultimately their job

either way it just annoys me as a devil fan the best option is going to hoboken and for me living on the east side thats a good 45 minute journey..

people in new york dont go to bars across town let alone go to hoboken to watch a game.

maybe if we got some numbers together 20? people, we could convince a bar to throw the sound on and cater to devils fans

The big problem is that NYC is the home of the Rangers who have one of the strongest hometown fanbases in the entire sport. How are they missing an opportunity that obviously hasn't presented itself yet? I guarantee if someone opened a bar in NYC that was owned by a Devils fan who presented it as a Devils bar, the Devils would prop them up when it comes to viewing parties and the likes.

As for your idea, it would depend on the bar obviously. I'm sure if a large enough contingent went to a place like one of the Pourhouses (ie the one on 3rd) they would do it, but its no guarantee, especially if the Rags have a game 7 on the same night.

Maybe this isn't the best thing in the world to admit, but I've walked into many a bar in Manhattan, plopped myself down, ordered a drink and asked the bartender to put on the Devils game. I rarely get told no. Sure, the sound isn't on but they'll throw the game on for you, so long as it's not a busy night with 5,000 other sports going on.

As for a Devils bar in the city, you also have to consider the 200 other nights there's no hockey. Devils / Rangers is one of the biggest rivalries in sports and if a bar were to market themselves as a Devils bar, the majority of NYC dwelers who are Rangers fan just won't go and may not go to that bar at all out of principle. If there was a strong contingent of Devils fans who got together and said, yes, we want a Devils bar, I'm sure a bar owner would love to have the extra traffic of 50 people drinking for three hours. The problem is, there's a risk that they'd lose more people wanting to watch Yankees/Mets/Rangers so 50 Devil fan can watch the game.

Moral of the story is, if the NYC dwelling Devil fans desire a bar, we could definately get one! We'd just need to organize.

Edited by Bulletproof

i've gone to live bait a couple times to catch devils games after meeting up with my girlfriend in the city. i know one of the main bartenders is a big devils fan so they tend to have the game (even if the rangers are playing too) on but other than that...the atmosphere isn't all that great and the food isn't particularly good so take it for what it's worth.