GDT: 4/26/12, Game 7 EC Quarterfinals NJ @ FLA

NJCroMag

What a night. All the naysayers (way too many of them on here) who accused this team of having no heart and no guts should watch this game over and over again...hell, the whole series for that matter. Yes, there were an absolute TON of scary and tense moments, but so many kept saying that the Devils were going to roll over and die as those tense moments happened. Florida definitely had their chances to win this series, and this series upon its completion definitively had a "could have gone either way" feel, but the Devils never came close to rolling over and dying.

And those of you who feel the need to compare this bunch to the teams that lost to the 'Canes, the Flyers, the Rangers, etc, and continually call for the team to be gutted if they don't get it done...stop it already. This coach wasn't here. A lot of the players who played for those Devils teams aren't playing on this one. By my quick count, 6 forwards and 2 defensemen currently on the '12 playoff roster also played for the '10 team that got knocked out by the Flyers. Those players are Clarkson, Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, Zubrus, Zajac, Greene, and Salvador. And in goal, of course Brodeur remains. This Clarkson is a vastly improved version over that one, and this Kovy is at least no longer trying to acclimate himself to his team. Even though some of the bigger and better-known names remain, this team is largely different.

The kind of series that's a thrill to win, but a bitch to lose...Florida's got to be saying, "Damn, we were so CLOSE!" to themselves over and over again. We would've been doing the same thing...even more so, because the Devils had multi-goal leads in five out of the seven games...but Florida played tough and didn't quit. They hung in.

I feel guilty even saying it, but I was hesitant about Brodeur coming into the game. He was friggin awesome last night. Cool, calm, collected. Made tons of big saves. Taking injuries (or assumed injuries, in Volchenkov's case) into account, this might be the worst defense to ever play in front of Brodeur. Yet we won a playoff series.

Kudos, old man.

I feel guilty even saying it, but I was hesitant about Brodeur coming into the game. He was friggin awesome last night. Cool, calm, collected. Made tons of big saves. Taking injuries (or assumed injuries, in Volchenkov's case) into account, this might be the worst defense to ever play in front of Brodeur. Yet we won a playoff series.

Kudos, old man.

We all know Brodeur isn't what he was, but it's great to see flashes of his prime from time to time. Great to see him be a part of one last series win where he had to come up big, even if the Devils fizzle against the Flyers.

People in the USA and Canada may think that those of us that live outside of those countries don't care about hockey; today I wore a Devils T-shirt to work, with a Devils lanyard that is always on me, plus my newly acquired Devils Coveroo iPhone 4 case that I spent $50 to get from the USA to Australia - the same amount of Devils gear I wore for Game 6 - to come home from work and start watching game 7 after waiting 6 hours after the game finished to watch in its entirety, to break down in tears seeing Henrique score the winning goal.

The Devils mean more to me than most Australians will ever know; this series meant the world to me after feeling as devastated as any of you after watching that Carolina game 7; to watch that sudden 2OT winner by Henrique was just more than I could bear. It has been such an up and down series.

All I can ask for, and hope, in this world, is to see the Devils advance even further. I am meant to be saving for a holiday to New York/New Jersey for October (after which I should of been in March but life has some screwed up plans), but yet I just want to support this team.

I bleed for this team; there is nothing else.

Here's to a 2012 Stanley Cup run!

• Like 1

Florida definitely had their chances to win this series, and this series upon its completion definitively had a "could have gone either way" feel, but the Devils never came close to rolling over and dying.

lol you sound like Doc saying 'had them...all the way'. One OT goal in either game (which usually happens against us) and the tone around here would be very different, and rightly so. Especially since they blew a two-goal lead in either game after the nonsense of Game 3.

But like I said at different points, just win the series and all is forgiven - all the blown leads, the PP's, Marty's shaky moments earlier in the series, no-showing for Games 2 and 5, etc and 2006-10 also becomes history. This team needed a first-round win in the absolute worst way with all that was riding on it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

But like I said at different points, just win the series and all is forgiven - all the blown leads, the PP's, Marty's shaky moments earlier in the series, no-showing for Games 2 and 5, etc and 2006-10 also becomes history. This team needed a first-round win in the absolute worst way with all that was riding on it.

Don't forget the home ice jynx. In every playoff year since moving to Newark, the Devils have been knocked out in the first round on Prudential Center ice. Game 6 got that monkey off their backs. Even if they lost last night, I would have at least been happy that it didn't happen in front of the home crowd yet again. As someone who was there for the most heartbreaking of those elimination losses, that meant a lot.

Maybe now the team can finally establish some sort of home ice advantage at The Rock.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

lol you sound like Doc saying 'had them...all the way'. One OT goal in either game (which usually happens against us) and the tone around here would be very different, and rightly so. Especially since they blew a two-goal lead in either game after the nonsense of Game 3.

Oh God no, this series clearly could've gone to Florida.

If the Devils had clearly mailed it in when it was 2-2 and Florida had won in OT, I'd agree with you. But with the way the Devils played in OT overall last night, if they had lost, I would've said "This blows, but that's how it goes". When it got to be 2-2, it never felt like the Devils were quitting or giving up...maybe struggling, but not quitting. That was my point. Clearly this team has some flaws and we saw them from time to time. I know it sucks and was frustrating as hell that this team saw 2-0 and 3-0 leads go by the wayside, but the Devils did battle back each time. There's something to be said for that.

It was a great win, tough to watch at times, but a great win. Zach said he wanted to play for a team with a chance to win, so it's nice to see how many of the big bad teams are playing golf now too. As long as you're still playing, you've got a chance, and we've got that chance! :)

Edited by jim777

People in the USA and Canada may think that those of us that live outside of those countries don't care about hockey; today I wore a Devils T-shirt to work, with a Devils lanyard that is always on me, plus my newly acquired Devils Coveroo iPhone 4 case that I spent $50 to get from the USA to Australia - the same amount of Devils gear I wore for Game 6 - to come home from work and start watching game 7 after waiting 6 hours after the game finished to watch in its entirety, to break down in tears seeing Henrique score the winning goal.

The Devils mean more to me than most Australians will ever know; this series meant the world to me after feeling as devastated as any of you after watching that Carolina game 7; to watch that sudden 2OT winner by Henrique was just more than I could bear. It has been such an up and down series.

All I can ask for, and hope, in this world, is to see the Devils advance even further. I am meant to be saving for a holiday to New York/New Jersey for October (after which I should of been in March but life has some screwed up plans), but yet I just want to support this team.

I bleed for this team; there is nothing else.

Here's to a 2012 Stanley Cup run!

Yes!! Love the enthusiasm from down under!! Go Devils!!

id like to bring up the fact that these backwoods fvckheads of fans the Panthers have were chanting "Maaaaaaaaarty Maaaaaaaaarty" when we scored

And as the Devs were moving the puck around in their zone! There is some guy who stands up in front of the camera a bit right before Henrique puts it in. He is looking towards Marty with his hands cupped around his mouth chanting "Marty". Then. BAM! Game over. What a maroon.

The thing I found funny was even though the Panthers lost, the fans still threw their rats on the ice after the game. Isn't that supposed to be a "Winning" tradition? oh well. Didn't think their fans had many clues as to what was going on the whole series, just loved to jab at our fans...so be it...the better team won IMO, despite any downfalls we had.

Casual friday at work in my office means if you're not meeting with important people, you can get away with jeans, still couldn't come in with a jersey on or t-shirt (but I got my kovy t-shirt on underneath!)

Edited by Legion15

Unbelievable win last night. It is definitely concerning that this team continues to blow multi-goal leads, and their PK is a complete mess right now. However, despite what some delusional people on this board keep repeating, this team never quits. Gutty win. Sometime getting out of the first round in the hardest part. Let's hope that's the case with this playoff run.

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!!!

Thank you Adam Henrique for responding to my chat request to "c'mon henrique end this thing"! :boogie: like zach said the puck was following him all night (morning)

unfortunately it doesnt look like kovy is going to heal any time soon, must be so frustrating for him

harrold was very shakey behind the net, they were dumping in on him and knocking him off the puck,still like his quickness but he's playing on the edge

zid and greene were solid this series, everyone wanting to trade andy were way off base

thought the old man Jovo played excellent against us, he killed our dump in and cycling

btw, loved how the fla fans cheered clarkson every time he fell down, thats like cheering someone spraying ice when they stop LOL dopes

LOL, re-read this thread starting at page 14 too funny!

LGDs!!!!!!

I respect Thomas Fleishmann tremendously... played the series with a broken hand...

I was very annoyed that we couldn't keep 2 goal lead against a team with one solid scoring line, multiple times in this series... but it's a series like this that builds confidence and unity to get the wins we need later.

We still have 12 wins to go for this season to be successful.

haha i try not to post anymore during the games because im sure you find a lot of negativity

what a fvcking game last night.. this is what a fan lives for. Double overtime game 7?? yes please.

Henrique was a monster last night.

Harrold looks like a joke out there though, and i hold my breathe everytime he gets near the puck.

GOOD sh!t BOYS!!!! 2nd round lets fvcking go!!! :cheers: :cheers: