What's Wrong with Kovalchuk?

mikepeluso8

Does anyone have any idea/speculation as to what exactly he has injured and how severe it is?

The guy is clearly playing with a nagging injury because he has lost his spark/jump and his endurance seems to be down, but they keep skating him for many many minutes a game.

Yep...his explosiveness isn't there. Must be very frustrating for him but he's still a threat out there even if he's not 100%.

agreed, definitely a groin or hamstring. Besides seeing it when he tries to skate fast ( which is no where near his normal full speed )you can also tell when he's battling along the boards with the opposition, they can practicially knock him to the ice very easily. He's normally much stronger on his skates and hitting him is like hitting a wall, but not now.

I'd wager to say it's a groin issue.

And while he still is dangerous out there, he was kinda weighing that 1st down at times last series.

I seriously hope having the day off yesterday allows him to heal up. His speed is one of is biggest assets imo

anyone who is speculating that it is not injury related needs to turn in their hockey cards! 1.groin 2. hammy 3. back he has absolutely no stride or base still passing well though

clarkson as well, his board work is 50%

I think A-train is hurt as well, or I hope so

He can only play in space and he's not getting it in the postseason.

or he's hurt.

In any case I don't expect much from him at this point.

He still draws players to him (ie, on the Zajac OT goal)

He still serves a purpose out there, even if isn't 100%

if they dont double team him his injury will go away and hell snipe and drive the net...

bend at the knees kovy...swarm it up!

for the record i think its a torn labrum in the hip, just a guess.

its a common nagging injury that you can play on and makes you half step.

its also recurring and doesnt really go away, hope im wrong.

I don't know what his injury is, but if resting him can help then he must be rested. My concern is that, as a couple people have noted, this might be a recurring/nagging/lingering sort of injury that won't be significantly helped by a couple days. I can only assume that it is the latter because if it is the former then PDB is a fool. After all, if rest would help then I would rather throw a game in the series and get Kovy back at full strength for the remainder of the series or playoffs than drag him around the ice at partial strength just to avoid resting him a game. I would even have considered resting him two games before the start of the series. Now that we are already down a game we simply do not have that luxury; we may not have the luxury to consider this option at this point. So I am left with only one consideration: that this simply must not be the sort of injury that short term rest would have helped or PDB and Co would have done it. I know that if it comes out afterward that this was something that could have been rested off I will not be a happy fan. That is my $.02.

He is clearly laboring and I agree that it's not something that gets better with rest like a groin. I feel it could be a knee issue that will require surgery.

I think it probably is a groin issue but I also think it's bad enough that a few days' rest won't be enough. A whole week might not even be enough, but even if it was, I doubt the Devils can live without him for TWO games.